Pubs near Villa Park

dont_do_it_doug.

• 1 year later...

Anyone know what The Crown at the top end of corporation street near The Law Courts is like on match days?  I am thinking of going there with a Wolves Supporting mate before the wolves game.  Don't want anywhere too partisan. 

I've never been there before a game so have no idea what it's like. 

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

I've always used the Aston Social but it's struggling to handle the extra people following the closure of the Addies.  Always wanted to try the Barton Arms.  How far is it walking wise?

We will move to the barton arms after the crown (should someone confirm its ok) . It's just such a brilliant pub but you will have a 20 minute walk to the ground if you walk quick or a short taxi ride 

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

Anyone know what The Crown at the top end of corporation street near The Law Courts is like on match days?  I am thinking of going there with a Wolves Supporting mate before the wolves game.  Don't want anywhere too partisan. 

I've never been there before a game so have no idea what it's like. 

No idea what it's like on match days but on regular days it's not very nice. Toilets are a state.

The hare of the dog used to be my go to pub but I think that's closed down now so I don't really know what to do with myself when going to VP.

Coming in from the Witton side, there always seems to be lots of Villa fans at the Yew Tree on Brookvale Road and the Cap N Gown I think it's called right near the ground - although there seems to be a lot of loud music there but lots of Villa fans singing - you can hear them from some distance!

23 minutes ago, Hev said:

Coming in from the Witton side, there always seems to be lots of Villa fans at the Yew Tree on Brookvale Road and the Cap N Gown I think it's called right near the ground - although there seems to be a lot of loud music there but lots of Villa fans singing - you can hear them from some distance!

Cap n Gown is now called Witton Arms.  Do they still split the pub 50/50 between home and away fans?

One of the pubs frequented by Black Sabbath - the Aston Hotel, 393 Witton Rd, Birmingham B6 6NS.

A once popular Aston Villa supporters pub is to be turned into a hostel for the homeless despite complaints from residents.

The landmark Aston Hotel, which dominates Witton Island, has been a popular haunt for fans on matchday for decades.

But, in common with many other pubs, business has been slow and now planning permission has been secured to turn it into a 41 room hostel.

On twitter Villa fan @IanRobo1 said: “Sad day for history of #avfc. Had many great pre and after match there. They ruined it with nonsense refurb.”

Plans for the hostel were first put forward last year, but withdrawn in the face of strong objections from local police who feared a rise in issues with crime and anti-social behaviour.

But now, following talks with police owner Bangla Bazar has agreed to a series of security measures, including full CCTV coverage, single sex residents and 24 hour security staff on site. Police have now withdrawn their objection.

Planning committee chairman Mike Sharpe (Lab, Tyburn) said: “If police say they have got it worked out then I think we can have confidence in them.”

The plan was met with opposition and petitions from several local groups including the Church of England Parish of Aston and Nechells , Perry Aston Residents Association, Aston Voice Residents Association, Aston and Nechells Foodbank and the Birmingham Settlement.

They were concerned at the large number of hostels and services for vulnerable people in the area, as well as fears of crime and anti-social behaviour if the residents suffer from drug and alcohol addiction.

Committee member Gareth Moore (Cons, Erdington) said: “Many of these objections come from groups likely to be working with vulnerable people. If they have got concerns, then I have got concerns.”

He was one of two councillors to vote against the planning application. But eight voted in a favour and the scheme was approved.

link

Strange that the church would be against helping vulnerable people ????

• Like 1

Â