Laptop/Chromebook Advice

Craigyh74

It's OTT for me too, undoubtedly. 

I am experiencing buyer's remorse for sure. I know I don't need it!

But I wanted a more powerful laptop, I wanted to move back to a laptop I can play proper games on (nothing intensive, just things like football manager), the macbooks look beautiful and I'll be getting about £400 off the price. So **** it.

I'm sure I'll get slated on here, but it's my funeral :D 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm sure I'll get slated on here, but it's my funeral :D 

Why do you think that? Nothing wrong with Macbooks other than the price. If your use case has changed to include gaming then a Chromebook wouldn't be a good fit. I'm surprised that a Macbook was the best fit but I've no idea what criteria you based your decision on. Judging from the buyer's remorse - neither do you :)

They also run Linux quite nicely when you get frustrated with MacOS..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villarule123 said:

If it was for games primarily, I would have got a standard laptop (for that price you could have got a 1070 graphics card which would destroy any game) but that's just me! 

It's not.

But the ability to play SOME games was a factor. I'm never going to be a proper PC gamer so I don't need anything that's high performance, but the ability to play some games like FM or arcadey games form Steam and the like was something I was after.

41 minutes ago, limpid said:

Why do you think that? Nothing wrong with Macbooks other than the price. If your use case has changed to include gaming then a Chromebook wouldn't be a good fit. I'm surprised that a Macbook was the best fit but I've no idea what criteria you based your decision on. Judging from the buyer's remorse - neither do you :)

They also run Linux quite nicely when you get frustrated with MacOS..

Was just a joke based on the general anti-apple attitude of VT (I'm part of it usually :) )

You're right, it probably wasn't the BEST fit. As you say I don't even think that :) 

But it was a good fit. And in a household of 2 iphones (the OH's and my work phone) and an iPad, the compatibility with those was also a factor.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

But it was a good fit. And in a household of 2 iphones (the OH's and my work phone) and an iPad, the compatibility with those was also a factor.

Just keep trying to convince yourself that making the silo deeper is a good thing :)

I genuinely don't understand this. All my devices work together - how broken are things which only talk to other things from the same manufacturer? But we're way off topic.

I have a Macbook Air. Have done for a few years.

I agree with Stevo around the gaming.

It runs most games really well - Civ at highest settings, can run FM with huge databases and all leagues etc.

But it isn't a gaming laptop

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

Just keep trying to convince yourself that making the silo deeper is a good thing :)

I genuinely don't understand this. All my devices work together - how broken are things which only talk to other things from the same manufacturer? But we're way off topic.

Yeah I know all this.

It was A factor. Not THE factor. 

Think of it as getting a TV which happened to match the colour of the speakers I'd be using with it. It's a nice thing to have but I wouldn't buy it specifically for that reason.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Think of it as getting a TV which happened to match the colour of the speakers I'd be using with it. It's a nice thing to have but I wouldn't buy it specifically for that reason.

It's more like buying a TV because it's the only one which will work with your speakers :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chindie said:

*Blandy likes this*

;)

TBH I wouldn't buy a "new" macbook. But an old one, yeah - they do the job with no fuss - well built, easy to use and for me will last longer than a new computer from whoever. I've got a now 8 year old MacbookPro that I got off e-bay for 500 quid a few years back and it's still like a brand new machine. I did put an SSD in it, mind.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

My moms husbands laptop has packed up and she has charged me with the unenviable task of picking a new one as a surprise xmas present. 

He's 70 now, he has only been using a laptop for about 5/6yrs and as such he hasn't got a great deal of IT knowledge. With this in mind (and though admittedly I've not yet treated myself to one) I'm finding it difficult to recommend anything other than a cromebook. The issue is i don't really know what he uses his laptop for. 

I think its just browsing, storing family photos etc (i know Chromebooks storage is largely cloud based) and printing. I really don't see the need for a windows machine but its bloody difficult to recommend something without knowing exactly what its to be used for. 

5 hours ago, av1 said:

My moms husbands laptop has packed up and she has charged me with the unenviable task of picking a new one as a surprise xmas present. 

He's 70 now, he has only been using a laptop for about 5/6yrs and as such he hasn't got a great deal of IT knowledge. With this in mind (and though admittedly I've not yet treated myself to one) I'm finding it difficult to recommend anything other than a cromebook. The issue is i don't really know what he uses his laptop for. 

I think its just browsing, storing family photos etc (i know Chromebooks storage is largely cloud based) and printing. I really don't see the need for a windows machine but its bloody difficult to recommend something without knowing exactly what its to be used for. 

As close to the last one as possible. If the last one was windows, then another windows laptop (shudder) will make his life easier. Something that's good for watching online movies as well... you know, cats on youtube and such :ph34r:

6 hours ago, villakram said:

As close to the last one as possible. If the last one was windows, then another windows laptop (shudder) will make his life easier. Something that's good for watching online movies as well... you know, cats on youtube and such :ph34r:

The other issue is budget. My mom only wants to spend a couple of hundred pound, which to me also screams cromebook as £200/250 doesn't buy you alot if sticking to a windows machine. My only issue (as mentioned above) is that i don't really know what the machine is for, and my mom is adamant that it remains a surprise.

I really want to recommend a Chromebook. 

12 hours ago, Genie said:

What’s it going to be used for?

That's my issue mate. I don't know know wht he uses it for and my mom is adamant that it remains a suprise so i can't speak to him about it. 

1 hour ago, av1 said:

That's my issue mate. I don't know know wht he uses it for and my mom is adamant that it remains a suprise so i can't speak to him about it. 

Buy a Chromebook online immediately before Christmas and if he doesn't like it, factory reset and return.

Â