What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

I worked in a seaside town hotel when the film of Quadrophenia came out. I was a paid up member of the Distant Echo Scooter Club and went up that London to get suits tailored to fit in a place just off Carnaby Street. My dad was an old school rocker, with his factory job, motorbike and Queen albums.

Happy daze.

I worked in a seaside town hotel when the film of Quadrophenia came out. I was a paid up member of the Distant Echo Scooter Club and went up that London to get suits tailored to fit in a place just off Carnaby Street. My dad was an old school rocker, with his factory job, motorbike and Queen albums.

Happy daze.

"Old school rocker"? Listening to QUEEN??? Pffft.

• Like 1

I can't speak for the 'nouveau' mods and rockers, but in the 60s, the mods were listening to soul/r&b, and the rockers, 1st gen rock'n'roll - Vince Taylor, Gene Vincent, Chuck Berry, etc.

The next gen rockers might be into Motorhead, etc., but nothing as camp as Queen!

Yeah my dad was very much first generation oily biker having been in to all that Gene Vincent and Buddy Holly and all that. Even his BSA motorbikes. Ten or fifteen years later with a wife and kids and music moving on he was still there culturally, but playing the likes of Queen, Tull, Rainbow, Joe Walsh etc..

Much of what he had in his back catalogue I secretly desired, the Chuck Berry, Troggs, Del Shannon etc.. But 'Queen' fitted my sneering baiting contempt for hard man leather clad 'rockers' and their refusal to see a track such as 'Sheer Heart Attack' for the camp dross it was. We're both a bit more reasonable now, there's a bit more empathy around the place. 

I'm a lot more mellow now.

• Like 1

Â