Paul Lambert

limpid

I think there are very valid reasons that have made his job difficult. But there always seems to be something that stops things being his fault. Awful defence? Not his fault, no money. Awful attack? Not his fault, players injured.

This is not his first year we are now into the 3rd season. His responsibility for performances and results becomes more and more the longer he is here.

Last night doesn't ruin the positive start we've made in the league though, and we have a great chance to continue that Sunday.

Shots on target is meaningless????? That has to be the most stupid thing I ever heard????

And if the manager cannot affect what the players are doing out on the pitch then whats the point of managers?? Though I do think that the players would probably perform better if that mumbling bufoon did actually let them pick their own side and tactics!

Of course shots on target is relatively meaningless.  The only important stat is goals scored.  If you have more than the other team, you win.  You don't get prizes for having 20 shots on target compared to their 1 but losing 1-0.  However, it is a concern that we've had 30 attempts at goal in our first 3 games (not too bad on paper) but only had 2 on target (terrible on paper).

And of course, also, the manager can't affect what a player does on the pitch.  He can give instructions to do <x>, can setup tactics to be <y> but if a player misses a chance in front of goal or makes a poorly timed challenge, that isn't down to the manager for **** sake.

I think there are very valid reasons that have made his job difficult. But there always seems to be something that stops things being his fault. Awful defence? Not his fault, no money. Awful attack? Not his fault, players injured.

This is not his first year we are now into the 3rd season. His responsibility for performances and results becomes more and more the longer he is here.

Last night doesn't ruin the positive start we've made in the league though, and we have a great chance to continue that Sunday.

4 points from 2 games that we gained 0 points from last season.

Get a **** grip people.

• Like 1

Get a **** grip people.

You ignored my last paragraph then. That point was made about reasons that are always given for us being poor that are never the managers fault.

Seems the black and white approach is rearing it's ugly head again. Because some people aren't blaming Lambert for absolutely everything that goes wrong, that must mean that they think he isn't to blame about anything.

If Lambert is telling the team not to commit players forward, to cross from the wings, to shoot from distance, that's his fault.

He cannot be blamed however, for missing good/guilt-edged chances in actual matches.

We've had these chances, we just haven't scored them.

You'd estimate that as the season wears on, with our better strikers coming back, we'd see a higher conversion %.

Until then, we'll have to deal with a 10% shots on target to shots ratio.

• Like 1

He's obviously been massively hampered by the relative lack of financial backing (fwiw, I think Lambert is decent in the transfer market).  However...

is it Lamberts fault that Bent or Gabby is shit? What else can he do maybe buy another striker oh wait he got moaned at last season when he brought in Kozak and Holt. 

Ever heard about man management? Getting the best out of the players? Lambert obviously isn't very good at this.

I think this is pretty bang on.  Where O'Neill succeeded was motivating a team of not much and getting them to perform above their abilities.  Lambert doesn't seem to have this in him to anywhere near the same extent.

If Lambert is telling the team not to commit players forward, to cross from the wings, to shoot from distance, that's his fault.

He cannot be blamed however, for missing good/guilt-edged chances in actual matches.

You'd estimate that as the season wears on, with our better strikers coming back, we'd see a higher conversion %.

We only had those chances against Leyton orient. We ended last year struggling to create good chances and we've struggled in our two league games this season.

Shots on target is meaningless????? That has to be the most stupid thing I ever heard????

And if the manager cannot affect what the players are doing out on the pitch then whats the point of managers?? Though I do think that the players would probably perform better if that mumbling bufoon did actually let them pick their own side and tactics!

Of course shots on target is relatively meaningless.  The only important stat is goals scored.  If you have more than the other team, you win.  You don't get prizes for having 20 shots on target compared to their 1 but losing 1-0.  However, it is a concern that we've had 30 attempts at goal in our first 3 games (not too bad on paper) but only had 2 on target (terrible on paper).

And of course, also, the manager can't affect what a player does on the pitch.  He can give instructions to do <x>, can setup tactics to be <y> but if a player misses a chance in front of goal or makes a poorly timed challenge, that isn't down to the manager for **** sake.

It quid pro quo though, no shots on target = no goals = not winning!

The problem is Lambert seems incapable of setting up a team to be able to press and attack and create! The lack of creation is the true concern! We even seem to go defensive against a league 1 side at home FFS! And when it's obviously not working you have to use your subs to change things around, so what does Lambert do? Makes one change to bring on his little favorite headless chicken!

Get a **** grip people.

It will be where we are in 36 games time that worries me! We could have Messi and Ronaldo up front but if our midfield is not creating then we will not win enough games! 

The problem is Lambert seems incapable of setting up a team to be able to press and attack and create! The lack of creation is the true concern! We even seem to go defensive against a league 1 side at home FFS! And when it's obviously not working you have to use your subs to change things around, so what does Lambert do? Makes one change to bring on his little favorite headless chicken!

I take it you didn't watch the game?

We only had those chances against Leyton orient. We ended last year struggling to create good chances and we've struggled in our two league games this season.

Agreed with this; although we created a great chance against Newcastle but Gabby completely muffed his header.

I hope the signing of Sanchez sees Delph/Richardson/Westwood/whoever have more freedom to get forwards, though.  We'll see how it goes against Hull Tigers FC.

Hold your horses! We've had 53% possession against a league one side at home!

#progress #perspective #wegoagain

Because possession = attacking!

#knowledge #tacticalnous #poorwit

Because possession = attacking!

#knowledge #tacticalnous #poorwit

What? Where did I say attacking? You're trying too hard mate.

Lambert can be defended for poor finishes in the league to some extent.

He's had little money, some killer injuries and 38 games against good opposition is a tough task for a club effectively without an owner.

He's had it pretty rough. I get that.

But last night cannot be defended. He put out a strong team. Just as the 3 times before when we lost to shit teams can't be defended. Mantis asked earlier "Is losing to lower league opposition any worse than losing in the premier league?"

Are you serious? Of course it is. It's damn right humiliating to be on the receiving end of a defeat from a piss poor team yet again and 4 times in 5 seasons. Sod all this "we weren't gonna win it anyway" reasoning. Look at Swansea and look at Wigan.

I can defend a defeat in the league coz we are pretty shit compared to a lot of teams. But I can't just brush aside last night. Lambert seems to find it easy, as do a lot of fans.

Beating Hull on Sunday will make me no less angry about last nights defeat. It was absolutely dire and the complete lack of remorse about the defeat from our manager really fecking grates on me.

• Like 3

No unfortunately/fortunately I was working so couldn't join the other 17,000 down there and only saw the 'highlights' but the stats do not suggest we hammered them?

i went and though i wouldnt say we were ultra defensive, we didnt really dominate them. our midfield did sit too deep ( we were playing two holding midfielders in sanchez and westwood), and we didnt commit enough men forward for large parts of the game.

the biggest problem was that lambert picked players who on paper like to keep the ball on the floor, work it though the middle etc, then had us pumping balls down the channels or long up to bent. if he wanted us to play with width, he should have picked proper wingers. both grealish and bacuna kept drifting inside.

Â