Paul Lambert

limpid

Let's see what happens next season

This has been said for 4 consecutive seasons.

Bang on the money, we seem to be a club waiting for something to happen, a new manager, young players to develop, our finances to improve, there is always something. Alot believe our finances are better now and we will spend in the summer, will we though or will it be more of the same?

Let's see what happens next season

This has been said for 4 consecutive seasons.

Bang on the money, we seem to be a club waiting for something to happen, a new manager, young players to develop, our finances to improve, there is always something. Alot believe our finances are better now and we will spend in the summer, will we though or will it be more of the same?

Yes. I think after yesterday's awful home defeat (yet again) the penny has finally dropped for me. This is the best case scenario for our current regime, it is not going to get better. Under cut back Lerner and Lambert we will not be any better than this. Staying up will the goal every year. And that just fills me with overwhelming depression. Football is supposed to be our bit of entertainment every week, and now I dread every Saturday.

This is lamberts second season though and yes there aint no improvement from the previous 2 managers, but nothing is going to happen until halfway through next season at the earliest. Any slight improvement next season will be considered progress in lerners eyes and will keep lambert firmly as our manager. I don't hate lambert but I admit it aint going as I thought it would. There are some decent managers out of there at the minute but does anyone really think they would want to come to villa at the moment. Until we start showing ambition we will be a nothing club. Be nice to hear what lerners plans are instead of people guessing them.

The problem is we will never get near the top 6, We have always had say 3 or four great players who change a game and produce the goods whilst having an average squad, we now have an above average striker but no other top players. we need massive improvements in playing staff and a better style of play.

My mistake - the wikipedia page hasn't been updated. 

Lambert - 

81 26 18 37 32.10

McLeish 

42 9 17 16 21.43

McLeish averaged 1 point per game.

Lambert is 1.2, so a little better but with a vastly cheaper squad. 

Ok let's just say Lambert is doing a good job considering the restrictions. When will the time come when he is no longer doing a good job?

As long as he keeps us in the league each year it's job well done right? Regardless of where we finish, how we play, how the fans feel, how humiliating cup exits are, how many negative records get broken.

Keep us up and it's job well done? On that basis. Well done Lambert, job is yours for as long as you want it unless you get us relegated.

Fix the problem once the damage has been done. Great approach.

My mistake - the wikipedia page hasn't been updated. 

Lambert - 

81 26 18 37 32.10

McLeish 

42 9 17 16 21.43

McLeish averaged 1 point per game.

Lambert is 1.2, so a little better but with a vastly cheaper squad. 

Will be interesting to see what it is like come the end of the season. 

Things he is failing on:

Getting the team playing as a unit, getting us playing good football more often, the home record, cup record to lower league clubs, reliance on players who are playing poorly (Weimann in particular) where-as other players get dropped for odd reasons (such as Clark who was playing well before being dropped for Baker). I think Lambert has been naive and a little bit too defensive - and also too many excuses for defeats (I am not suggesting he should blame players) but the things he does say doesn't breed confidence and possibly doesn't help the fans get on-side.

It's your win percentage that really matters. 

Ok let's just say Lambert is doing a good job considering the restrictions. When will the time come when he is no longer doing a good job?

As long as he keeps us in the league each year it's job well done right? Regardless of where we finish, how we play, how the fans feel, how humiliating cup exits are, how many negative records get broken.

Keep us up and it's job well done? On that basis. Well done Lambert, job is yours for as long as you want it unless you get us relegated.

Fix the problem once the damage has been done. Great approach.

Season one that was definitely the case given the task - this season was a lot more like the first than we would have liked (though it isn't over yet and we could still show a points and league position improvement) but the fact is, and as I alluded to earlier - expectation has to change with circumstance. Next season will be another big task for Lambert as he'll be able to spend money on fewer players (this has been outlined before) - if he's backed and he gets, say 3, quality players in then we should by all rights expect to be top half or close enough. 

If he isn't backed - then we need to worry about the board.

If he is backed and he isn't successful - then we need to worry about getting a new manager.

If he is backed and he does a good job - no need to worry. 

Â