Flats to rent: London

islingtonclaret

I am currently negotiating what I can only describe as invention created by the devil: London flat hunting.

I have temporary accommodation on way in Dalston. (THANK YOU, AirBnb.com!)

Does anyone know of places, people or absolutely anything that would help me before I have a mental breakdown? Looking in Islington, Hackney, London Fields, Dalston, Highgate, Archway, Whitechapel, Wapping, Bethnal Green, Bow, Tufnell Park...

Budget for room: up to £1000PCM.

I have been viewing rooms for a month, usually two per evening, 6 days a week. The last one, interview was an hour and a half and 250 applied for it. They wanted a girl in the end. PS. I am not a girl.

I feel your pain. I was in the same boat when I moved down 14 years ago and it sucks.

Are you looking to have a place to yourself or join an existing share? If the former, you're not going to get much on that budget.

Use every available method. Spread the word on facebook and LinkedIn and check the myriad flat share sites. From (bitter) experience, it's going to be a slog but it'll be worth it when you find the right place. Oh and even if you're desperate, don't take something unless you are sure it'll work. There's nothing worse than signing up for something then realising within days that you're not going to be happy.

• Like 1

I am currently negotiating what I can only describe as invention created by the devil: London flat hunting.

I have temporary accommodation on way in Dalston. (THANK YOU, AirBnb.com!)

Does anyone know of places, people or absolutely anything that would help me before I have a mental breakdown? Looking in Islington, Hackney, London Fields, Dalston, Highgate, Archway, Whitechapel, Wapping, Bethnal Green, Bow, Tufnell Park...

Budget for room: up to £1000PCM.

I have been viewing rooms for a month, usually two per evening, 6 days a week. The last one, interview was an hour and a half and 250 applied for it. They wanted a girl in the end. PS. I am not a girl.

Good luck with that.

I didn't realise what a state it was down there till I recently visited a friend. He had a 1 bed in clapham that's basically a tiny shit hole. And he pays £1000 a month for the pleasure. Absolute madness!!

Sorry this post is of no help.

Thanks for the helpful and sarcastic replies guys.

So, for the record to make sure I am not coming across as pie in the sky:

Flat shares. £1000 per month warrants a 'good luck with that'? Cool story, bro. There are literally thousands on the market, a lot of them decent. It's not the money, it's the demand. You get interviewed for every room and usually a minimum of seven people are whittled down to contend with you.

So I am not looking to rent on my own. Although from cursory glances, a studio flat for a grand a month isn't impossible in those areas, some even look nice!

What I am saying is it's who you know. And I clearly don't know the right people.

Are you looking to have a place to yourself or join an existing share? If the former, you're not going to get much on that budget.

A nice room in Highgate or a crap studio in London Fields.

I didn't realise what a state it was down there till I recently visited a friend. He had a 1 bed in clapham that's basically a tiny shit hole. And he pays £1000 a month for the pleasure. Absolute madness!!

Hah, it isn't much help but it does give an insight into how stupid it is here. I viewed a converted room in Tottenham. 850 quid a month. For a shithole. In a shithole.

if i was you i would look in cheshunt which is out-skirts of north london but you cant get to stratford in 25mins via over-ground from the staion (also goes kings cross)

was renting a spacious two bed for £850, and flats are cheaper there. good luck buddy

Hah, it isn't much help but it does give an insight into how stupid it is here. I viewed a converted room in Tottenham. 850 quid a month. For a shithole. In a shithole.

Yeah sorry but it did blow my mind when I saw it. And he went through a similar issue of struggling to find something.

Good luck though.

Ex colleague of mine did it arse about face and said it was always successful. He basically posted ads asking people to contact him if they wanted to group together and then find somewhere. That way they had some bargaining power when they all found somewhere they all agreed on.

Sorry for my initial reply.

Just had a look on Rightmove on the criteria you set out and some of the properties were **** awful. Used the same criteria for Brum city centre and found some really nice places.

Good luck mate on finding somewhere.

Cheshunt

Quite an epic journey home after a night 'Up West'.

Does anybody go "up west" anymore? I thought Hoxton/Shoreditch is where all the cool kids went these days? Not that I'd know, being the old fart I am.

Jeeze, this is a popular thread tonight.

Angel, perfect omar - but timing isn't. I'm storage and suitcase by Sunday, temp accommodation is booked up for 2 weeks so far. It's a tight schedule, not to everyone's needs!

avfc96 - no worries mate  ;)

choffer - I am technically 'one of the cool kids', though I would like to state in 100% stereotypical hipster fashion that I liked the things they like before those hipster kids liked them. But, seriously, I did. Ind Coope's IPA vs. Marston's Pedigree (too inconsistent!) was a conversation I was having in 2000, not 2014. I have been collecting limited edition Warp and Skam records since the late 90s. And hipster neighbourhoods - sure, they're full of bellends. But also bellends dressed like idiots tend not to stab you.

• Like 1

Hoxton/Shoreditch is where all the cool kids went these days?

A lot of the West End has, sadly, been debollocked by outrageous rent rises, but you can still have a good night there - Try the 'Green Man Special' in the pub of the same name in Fitzrovia

;)

Hoxton and Shoreditch make my blood boil.

Edited by Xann

Â