Scandinavian football thread

VillaChris

So obviously due to some of the players we've had over the previous 20 odd years we have a fairly decent Scandinavian following with quite a few posters.

Have to say I can't remember a time when that region has been as low in football. No representation in the world cup and I think Sweden will be in the wilderness for a while longer once Zlatan retires. Not much needs to be said on Norway, look at their squad in the late 90s compared to now. Only hope is Denmark who at least produce a bit of quality still in Cristian Eriksen and hopefully Okore.

Club football though. Dear me. Tonight's results in the Europa league preliminaries....Rosenborg 1-2 Sligo Rovers, Linfield 1-0 AIK, come on that's two of the biggest clubs in the region and you're losing to Irish part timers!

So was the 90s just a golden era when the the big three were punching well above their weight both domestically and nationally (remember Rosenborg were regulars in the CL back then) or is it simply a bit like England, got complacent and now a total lack of quality?

The 90s was a golden period for them with Sweden getting to 2 semis, and Denmark winning the Euros, plus Norway in 98. Now they have fallen back to their true level. Is Finland classed as Scandinavia? They had a golden period in the late 90s too, with some better then average players.

The swedish association don't know where they want us to go as a football nation. It has been much, we should do like the Germans and recently it has been we should do like Belgium. It is said that our coaches are not so good but that is to subjective to take for certain. I can say this, the national manager we have now Erik Hamren doesn't even qualify to be in the same room as Lars Lagerback. 

We have a spring to autumn season which means that Malmo FF became champions in November. From that team they have sold some players this summer and are trying to replace them. It's not really the champions qualifying for the Champions League. We should change that, Denmark have.

And for AIK Solna, they have always been crap  :detect:

Alternative thread title 'The rise of Irish club football'

More budding Enda Stevens's on the way are there? :unsure:

The swedish association don't know where they want us to go as a football nation. It has been much, we should do like the Germans and recently it has been we should do like Belgium. It is said that our coaches are not so good but that is to subjective to take for certain. I can say this, the national manager we have now Erik Hamren doesn't even qualify to be in the same room as Lars Lagerback. 

We have a spring to autumn season which means that Malmo FF became champions in November. From that team they have sold some players this summer and are trying to replace them. It's not really the champions qualifying for the Champions League. We should change that, Denmark have.

And for AIK Solna, they have always been crap  :detect:

AIK did make the group stages of CL in 1999 at least, were in a group with Barca and Arsenal.

Alternative thread title 'The rise of Irish club football'

More budding Enda Stevens's on the way are there? :unsure:

There's a few prospects in the LOI, Towell, Forrester, O' Leary to name but 3 (not that Stevens was ever considered a prospect)

Btw my own team were beating Swedish teams in Europe 10 years ago  B)

Edited by Corcaigh

Ha I meant that in a joking way considering the last time an Irish club team made the groups stages of euro competition we signed one of them.

Fair play considering it's a part time league, some excellent results and good chance of progression now.

Is that Shelbourne? They nearly made the CL one year I think.

• Like 1

Ha I meant that in a joking way considering the last time an Irish club team made the groups stages of euro competition we signed one of them.

Fair play considering it's a part time league, some excellent results and good chance of progression now.

$hels? *spits* Cork City knocked out Malmo in 04 If I recall correctly. Most clubs in the Premier Division of the LOI are full time. Not sure about the (Northern) Irish League. 

Edited by Corcaigh

I was a Villan before Kent Nielsen joined. ;)
Like with all small nations its up and down but it isn´t that bad here.
Denmark got less people than London and has been to every Euro since ´84 except 2008. FCK is doing somewhat ok and hopefully Aab will too but Brøndby is lacking.

We got some great young players coming in Eriksen, Fischer, Højbjerg etc. and hopefully we can avoid filling places with crap or players who never plays for their clubs.

$hels? *spits* Cork City knocked out Malmo in 04 If I recall correctly. Most clubs in the Premier Division of the LOI are full time. Not sure about the (Northern) Irish League. 

It was 2007....and the Intertoto.

It was 2007....and the Intertoto.

Pretty sure City beat Malmo in 04  ;) , also beat Djurgardens on away goals in 05 and lost to Hammerby in 07. 

Well, Norwegian football has been crap for a long time.

Says it all when a comedian made a success when he made a song mocking our national team before the world cup. The song was named "We are not in it" and it made a point that the whole world were happy about that. "If you come to our national stadium you will see...some cool tattoos and expensive hair gel...Martin Linnes at right back, who the **** is that? Morten Gamst Pedersen was good in 2003...In all of Europe you will found our players on a bench...Albania and Iceland were to tough opponents...".

The song was actually spot on. Who the **** is Martin Linnes? And the players are more interested in how they look than training and aiming high.

I think the 1990s was a golden area. We had players who played regularly in top clubs in Europe (Ronny Johnsen - Man United, Henning Berg - Blackburn and United, Solskjaer - United, Riise - Monaco, Tore Andre Flo - Chelsea) and we had a manager who installed faith in the players and had a system that worked for the players. Rosenborg was great, playing Champions League and qualifying for group play 11 times, selling players like John Carew, Steffen Iversen, Stig Inge Bjørnebye, Øyvind Leonardsen (he was good for Wimbeldon and Liverpool), Andre Bergdølmo (Ajax) and many more.

Now the players are sitting on the bench in Germany, Denmark, Austria and Holland or getting relegated from the Premier League.

It's a sad state of affair.

And there is no stability in Norwegian football.

Rosenborg has now sacked their manager yet again. He achieved 2nd place in the league last season and lost the Norwegian FA cup final. Now Rosenborg is at second place, 9 points behind Molde, after selling two of their strikers this season.

Since the legend Nils Arne Eggen left the club in 2002, Rosenborg has had 11 managerial changes. Many has been sacked, while short term replacements have not been allowed to continue after good seasons (Nils Arne Eggen had a brief spell in 2010 after Hamren quit the Rosenborg job to take over the Swedish national team. He won the league and wanted to continue, but the board decided against it and appointed a swede who were sacked two years later after two third place finishes).  The worst sacking was when Rosenborg won the league under manager Ola By Riise, and By Riise were sacked even though the club had success on the pitch!

The club has become a laughing stock!

Scandinavian football is just like UK and Ireland I think at the moment in that it is in a bad place and I have to say its no coincidence at all as they all play similar styles of football which is an outdated physical game. they all need build from grassroots and work on technique instead of physicality. Except for Eriksen its hard to see a top class technical player develop in last 5 years or so.

FWIW my Swedish team are shit at moment, struggling in Division 3 the mighty Orgryte :P

• 3 weeks later...

Scandinavian football is just like UK and Ireland I think at the moment in that it is in a bad place and I have to say its no coincidence at all as they all play similar styles of football which is an outdated physical game. they all need build from grassroots and work on technique instead of physicality. Except for Eriksen its hard to see a top class technical player develop in last 5 years or so.

FWIW my Swedish team are shit at moment, struggling in Division 3 the mighty Orgryte :P

GAIS-G%C3%B6teborg.png

Â