Bottom half finishes leading to disaster?

DCJonah

OK I'm a bit bored and after todays announcement a bit more concerned, so I've decided to look into a bit of premiership history.

We've finished in the bottom half the last 3 years and I'm pretty sure its nailed on we'll be doing it again this year.

So I decided to look through the premiership tables and see what other teams have done similar. I looked for teams who had 4+ consecutive bottom half finishes and survived in the league. And then looked at what that led to.

Coventry - 8 consecutive bottom half finishes and relegated on their 9th

Southampton - 5 consecutive bottom half finishes and relegated on their 6th

Everton - 5 consecutive bottom half finishes and then a top half finish.

Boro - 5 consecutive bottom half finishes and relegated on their 6th

Wigan - 6 consecutive bottom half finishes and relegated on their 6th

Bolton - 4 consecutive bottom half finishes and relegated on their 5th

Sheff weds - 4 consecutive bottom half finishes and relegated on their 5th.

Firstly, its dissapointing to see that we're very likely to join that list of clubs in consecutive bottom half finishes. What it also shows is that clubs that continue to finish in that bottom half, the vast majority of the time are relegated.

I think a sale was very important this summer as I'm not sure how much longer we will continue to just scrape by surviving in the league.

Edited by DCJonah

Bit of a strange post. Firstly, the season hasn't even begun yet. Secondly, we all know what the problems are at this club - the bottom half finishes are merely a symptom of that.

Edited by Mantis

Bit of a strange post. Firstly, the season hasn't even begun yet. Secondly, we all know what the problems are at this club - the bottom half finishes are merely a symptom of that.

Not a surprise. I was just interested in how long clubs usually lasted while continuing to finish in the bottom half. We're on for our 4th and not many clubs have managed to survive long after doing that.

OK I'm a bit bored and after todays announcement a bit more concerned, so I've decided to look into a bit of premiership history.

We've finished in the bottom half the last 3 years and I'm pretty sure its nailed on we'll be doing it again this year.

So I decided to look through the premiership tables and see what other teams have done similar. I looked for teams who had 4+ consecutive bottom half finishes and survived in the league. And then looked at what that led to.

Firstly, its dissapointing to see that we're very likely to join that list of clubs in consecutive bottom half finishes. What it also shows is that clubs that continue to finish in that bottom half, the vast majority of the time are relegated.

I think a sale was very important this summer as I'm not sure how much longer we will continue to just scrape by surviving in the league.

You can always hope the law of averages kicks in - we must must be due a good season soon.

I don't think it really means anything. If we go down it won't be because we were on our 4th consecutive bottom half finish.

I think it will have a lot to do with it. Consecutive low finishes will lead to an unhappy fan base, players lacking confidence, difficulty signing quality players and just a general negative feeling towards the club. I think all of those could contribute to relegation. Its not like if we were relegated next year that it would be a complete shock out of nowhere. The continuing decline plays a part.

You can always hope the law of averages kicks in - we must must be due a good season soon.

You'd hope so but without a sale I can't see it being this one.

I don't think it really means anything. If we go down it won't be because we were on our 4th consecutive bottom half finish.

I think it will have a lot to do with it. Consecutive low finishes will lead to an unhappy fan base, players lacking confidence, difficulty signing quality players and just a general negative feeling towards the club. I think all of those could contribute to relegation. Its not like if we were relegated next year that it would be a complete shock out of nowhere. The continuing decline plays a part

These are symptoms, not causes. The fact is we've been spending hardly anything for the last few seasons and if we go down that will be the main reason - not because of some meaningless stat.

Edited by Mantis

I think it will have a lot to do with it. Consecutive low finishes will lead to an unhappy fan base, players lacking confidence, difficulty signing quality players and just a general negative feeling towards the club. I think all of those could contribute to relegation. Its not like if we were relegated next year that it would be a complete shock out of nowhere. The continuing decline plays a part

These are symptoms, not causes. The fact is we've been spending hardly anything for the last few seasons and if we go down that will be the main reason - not because of some meaningless stat.

You don't think consecutive bottom half finishes contribute at all? You don't think it has an effect on the club?

You don't think consecutive bottom half finishes contribute at all? You don't think it has an effect on the club?

Contributes to what? The problem has long been overpaid poor players and a lack of investment. The low finishes are a symptom of that, not a cause in and of themselves.

Edited by Mantis

I agree that other issues cause the initial bottom half finishes but then consecutive bottom half finishes contribute to existing issues and create new ones.

Do you not think finishing bottom half over and over again creates any problems for the club? You get less money than others, you're less attractive to potential players, ticket sales decrease, sponsorship money will decrease etc..

Its a continuing spiral which is why teams that usually finish in the bottom half 4 or 5 times in a row get relegated.

• Like 1

I agree that other issues cause the initial bottom half finishes but then consecutive bottom half finishes contribute to existing issues and create new ones.

Do you not think finishing bottom half over and over again creates any problems for the club? You get less money than others, you're less attractive to potential players, ticket sales decrease, sponsorship money will decrease etc..

Its a continuing spiral which is why teams that usually finish in the bottom half 4 or 5 times in a row get relegated.

I think we've got much bigger problems - if those got sorted out we'd soon find ourselves not constantly finishing in the bottom half.

I think it's a good post. Looking at stats doesn't always reveal the future, of course, but in terms of a trend, it's bang on. Continual poor performance clearly suggests underlying problems. Now if those problems are addressed, great. If not, then the likelihood is things eventually become critical.

It highlights the (obvious) need for improvements to avoid a (sporting) disaster.

thats like saying  36 came up in the lottery draw the last humpteen weeks its bound to come up this week

There is no law of averages....you play well you win.....usually

This world cup has illustrated something for me, that i have always felt.

goals are a wonderful thing, but they can mislead how a game has been played, by giving you an instant result and in some cases masking over all the bad play

This world cup has shown that " Ring craft" is a very important component in wearing the opposition down and that the "Knock out punch" is always welcome and exciting can give you a false sense of security.

Good post but did you notice that the one ever present Premier League team finished top half after 5 consecutive bottom half finishes.

We've got 2 more seasons to turn it around ;)

Â