Bottom half finishes leading to disaster?

DCJonah

Yeah I'd agree.

I just think while those issues aren't sorted the issues from these consecutive finishes continue to build.

I agree. But that particular deed is done now, we can't reverse time. What we can do is work hard this season to finish as high up the table as possible.

Half way is pretty arbitrary though. Finishing a solid, safe 12th next season would give a massive boost to the club. Basically, it's not always what you do, occasionally it's more how you do it.

What I do know is it's very dispiriting and draining to know currently we can't compete with the better teams in the league and we'll be finishing in the bottom half and likely in a relegation battle. I don't have an issue if we have a bad season, that happens but four years in a row is too much. Our season ticket sales will indicate I'm not the only one with our mindset.

I stopped going to games from March and can't say I missed it really when I think of some of the home games I've missed....1-4 Stoke, 1-2 Fulham and 0-0 Southampton.

I'll be back when it looks like we can win some home games again and compete. With the takeover not looking likely, that could be some time.

What I do know is it's very dispiriting and draining to know currently we can't compete with the better teams in the league and we'll be finishing in the bottom half and likely in a relegation battle. I don't have an issue if we have a bad season, that happens but four years in a row is too much. Our season ticket sales will indicate I'm not the only one with our mindset.

I stopped going to games from March and can't say I missed it really when I think of some of the home games I've missed....1-4 Stoke, 1-2 Fulham and 0-0 Southampton.

I'll be back when it looks like we can win some home games again and compete. With the takeover not looking likely, that could be some time.

Speak for yourself. We don't "know" anything and while I wouldn't bet on us finishing top half you can't simply rule it before the season has even started.

Surely we would've done it last season then. We were reasonably mid table for most of the season bobbing around 9th-12th, we must only have been a few points off 10th when we beat Chelsea.

That was with stable ownership and a team that had finished the previous season strongly. Oh and a 20 goal a season striker.

That striker is currently injured and probably won't be back until November, our ownership situation is in turmoil and the manager's contract is slowly creeping down, I'd say it will take a miracle to finish top half.

Expecting more than 6 home wins aswell are we?

Surely we would've done it last season then. We were reasonably mid table for most of the season bobbing around 9th-12th, we must only have been a few points off 10th when we beat Chelsea.

That was with stable ownership and a team that had finished the previous season strongly. Oh and a 20 goal a season striker.

That striker is currently injured and probably won't be back until November, our ownership situation is in turmoil and the manager's contract is slowly creeping down, I'd say it will take a miracle to finish top half.

Expecting more than 6 home wins aswell are we?

Football doesn't work like that. We were also incredibly unlucky with some serious injuries last season.

You mention the "20 goal a season striker" yet he was only properly fit for less than half of the season. As I keep on saying, if he makes a full recovery we'll probably have him fit for longer than we had him last season.

It certainly isn't out of the realms of possibility.

I think its a very safe bet to say we will finish bottom half.

Yeah I'd agree.

I just think while those issues aren't sorted the issues from these consecutive finishes continue to build.

I agree. But that particular deed is done now, we can't reverse time. What we can do is work hard this season to finish as high up the table as possible.

Half way is pretty arbitrary though. Finishing a solid, safe 12th next season would give a massive boost to the club. Basically, it's not always what you do, occasionally it's more how you do it.

Yes very true.

The hope is we can have a steady season and be sold next summer.

I think it's a good post. Looking at stats doesn't always reveal the future, of course, but in terms of a trend, it's bang on. Continual poor performance clearly suggests underlying problems. Now if those problems are addressed, great. If not, then the likelihood is things eventually become critical.

It highlights the (obvious) need for improvements to avoid a (sporting) disaster.

Those stats show that " We are riding the crest of a slump "

Owen Hargreaves says we'll struggle and he fears for us. Didn't know he cared...

Well I have heard the same these past two years from Michael Owen, Phil Neville, and now Owen Hargreaves. I think we can do better than the previous two years, hopefully we have some luck with injuries this coming season.

Â