Last 16: Sunday 29th NED MEX CRC GRE

limpid

Apparently FIFA do have the power to punish him but the fact that he got nothing for his attempt kind of negates a reason for punishment. If he is punished for that, you have to punish Diego Costa who did the same thing and got a penalty for it, which nobody is calling him a low life cheat for, or hoping he suffers a career ending injury for. Thomas Muller took a dive in Germany's first game. Costa Rica and Greece last night, towards the end players were going down at every tackle to kill some time. At least one player in every team has gone down softly in this tournament.

This makes me think of the OFCOM effect, nobody said anything at the time of the incident but now it has been brought up retrospectively, people are up in arms.

Do any of those people say "Well Robben should have had a penalty when two players took him out in the penalty area"? No, a blind eye is turned to that one. They either wanted to see the novelty of Mexico winning or they have something against Robben nd the fact he got a legitimate penalty at the end just drives them mad.

• Like 2

They do need to make an example of someone soon because it's cheating and it's ruining the game imo.

They need to stick within the confines of the rules though, otherwise what's the point in having them? Currently, and feel free to tell me if I'm wrong, diving is a yellow card offence.

Until they change the rules then their own hands are tied. Rightfully so.

If they do decide to punish him it should be a yellow and nothing more. And a yellow for every other player who has taken a dive in this tournament.

If he hadn't held his hands up, nobody would be saying a thing about it.

It's not really the players fault, they see others doing it and then do it themselves.

You can't do one thing for one and another for another.

We need to see a change in the near future though - it's really quite pitiful seeing grown men falling over with their hands in the air screaming like utter vaginas. 

It's the one thing in football that REALLY **** gets my goat.

They need to do it at the start of a new season, for all teams in UEFA etc and give a match or two ban..

The trouble with diving is everyone says oooh something must be done. Then the first day of next season a player from a "big club" will dive to win a game winning penalty and the media will move heaven and earth to excuse it. Thats why nothing will ever get done

Mexican player gets kicked in the face, no call. Robben dives to the ground, penalty.

Didn't actually get a penalty for the 'dive'... didn't get a penalty for getting taken out twice in one go either. Glad he got that deserved penalty at the end though.

Mexican player gets kicked in the face, no call. Robben dives to the ground, penalty.

Didn't actually get a penalty for the 'dive'... didn't get a penalty for getting taken out twice in one go either. Glad he got that deserved penalty at the end though.

How come you're such an ardent netherlands fan, but you're english and live in Oxford? :lol:

How come you're such an ardent netherlands fan, but you're english and live in Oxford? :lol:

Because I am half Dutch and was brought up to support Holland instead of England ;)