$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

Honestly, I don't know how some fans can be so unhappy about Lerner and the lack of spending yet seemingly only be satisfied if we're bought by someone rich enough to make us among the biggest spenders in world football.

Because that is what its going to take chap

How about focusing on climbing up the table first?

I don't know how having gone through relegation battles people would now only be happy if we're competing for the title.

Edited by Mantis

I would love a rich arab with mountains of cash........

A close second though would be a reasonably rich billionaiire who appoints nichoas cortese as CEO

Plenty @ Southampton not too happy with Cortese. The money spent over the past 18 months was spread over two years, with a lot of extras on top (games played etc), so not sure Southampton can spend as much over the next year. We will see.

The reality of football club competition these days is that getting the best players costs money

We are where we are as a club right now because we have not bought sufficient better performers.  We all feel that should we not invest in players this summer to a certain level then we will be relegated next season.  I believe that to be the case.  Relegated but run properly?  Some consolation that.  

If we are to avoid relegation next season we need better players,  that means money,  that means an owner that can afford it or we can all applaud the best run club in the championship

You're completely missing the point - £2bn is a hell of a lot of money.

Do you honestly think we need someone as rich as Abramovich or Mansour to get investment?

Investment to compete at the top level of the league to win things? Yes

Investment to ponce about in mid table?  No

Sorry to sound callous but if we're going to change then I want the best,  richest most charitable owner please.

FIne - but you're the one that's going to be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

We heard the same last November, when a lot of people were told they would be wrong about a relegation battle. Just because it doesn't seem likely, it doesn't make it impossible.

The reality of football club competition these days is that getting the best players costs money

We are where we are as a club right now because we have not bought sufficient better performers.  We all feel that should we not invest in players this summer to a certain level then we will be relegated next season.  I believe that to be the case.  Relegated but run properly?  Some consolation that.  

If we are to avoid relegation next season we need better players,  that means money,  that means an owner that can afford it or we can all applaud the best run club in the championship

You're completely missing the point - £2bn is a hell of a lot of money.

Do you honestly think we need someone as rich as Abramovich or Mansour to get investment?

Investment to compete at the top level of the league to win things? Yes

Investment to ponce about in mid table?  No

Sorry to sound callous but if we're going to change then I want the best,  richest most charitable owner please.

FIne - but you're the one that's going to be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Wanting it and expecting it are two different things chap.  I'm telling you want I want.

I fully expect to be disappointed,  this is Villa I do not expect us to win ANY silverwear again in my lifetime and ,  drinking aside,  I have at least 40 years left in me yet (that will piss off my fans on here)

I would take Man City's owners tbf. 

We need both - more money invested and an infastructure to build a successful team that is sustainable.  A top to bottom rethink of our footballing philoshophy.  A top draw scouting system, director of football etc.  An infastructure that will last no matter who the manager is in.

• Like 2

Everyone wants to do a Man City, doesn't mean most of us wouldn't be perfectly happy to just be run well and have sensible investment. If you'd be disappointed with that then I think you've got your priorities wrong.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 4

Honestly, I don't know how some fans can be so unhappy about Lerner and the lack of spending yet seemingly only be satisfied if we're bought by someone rich enough to make us among the biggest spenders in world football.

I don't know how having gone through relegation battles people would now only be happy if we're competing for the title.

Because even climbing up the bloody table is going to take millions.  Do you not see how far we have to go to even catch up with some teams never mind pass them.

Lambert for all his faults and mistakes (and there are some) and all his detractors has worked a bloody miracle to scrap enough points out of this lot the last two seasons to keep us up

• Like 1

We need both - more money invested and an infastructure to build a successful team that is sustainable.  A top to bottom rethink of our footballing philoshophy.  A top draw scouting system, director of football etc.  An infastructure that will last no matter who the manager is in.

Exact.

• Like 2

People have slagged Lerner off far too much for, essentially, putting his hand in his pocket to the tune of £100m+ - but because that hasn't happened recently and Villa are struggling, it's his fault.

You've ignored the majority of his 8 years here if you think that's the only reason people aren't happy with Lerner.

In regards a new owner obviously ridiculous wealth and willing to spend it would be great. However after Lerner I'll be happy with someone who invests a decent amount and runs the club properly.

Lerner has **** up allowing other teams to catch and overtake us in terms of revenue coming into clubs, but I'd be confident a good owner could rectify that with a club like ours.

Some sensible long term investment, a good manager and the right plan will see us as a top 7/8 team. Then if we hit lucky with a benteke or a few from the youth team we can invest a bit more or challenge hire up.

The bottom line is after the last 4 years I'm confident most new owners can do better.

• Like 1

Because even climbing up the bloody table is going to take millions.  Do you not see how far we have to go to even catch up with some teams never mind pass them.

Lambert for all his faults and mistakes (and there are some) and all his detractors has worked a bloody miracle to scrap enough points out of this lot the last two seasons to keep us up

We can climb up the table without doing a Man City.

People need to stop with this black and white approach and realise that there is a huge middle ground. It's not a case of Man City-esque investment or relegation.

Exact.

But while that cultural change is taking place we need to ensure we stay in the league,  so we need the millions and millions spent to keep us here

Exact.

But while that cultural change is taking place we need to ensure we stay in the league,  so we need the millions and millions spent to keep us here

Millions and millions as in tens of millions, not hundreds.

Unusually I'm with Mantis on this. If an owner comes in worth "only" £2bill, that is still a bloody rich owner. An investment of £100m for a couple of yrs on the squad would be an extremely high investment and would see us climb up the table (top 8). Then to compete for the league it would need a little bit more. But let's not kid ourselves that that is a small investment.

Don't get me wrong we would all (well the majority) would like a multi  multi billionaire come in and be like city to get the best players in within a yr, but it wouldn't make a lower valued billionaire any less exciting.

Edited by mikeyp102

Unusually I'm with Mantis on this. If an owner comes in worth "only" £2bill, that is still a bloody rich owner. An investment of £100m for a couple of yrs on the squad would be an extremely high investment and would see us climb up the table (top 8). Then to compete for the league it would need a little bit more. But let's not kid ourselves that that is a small investment.

Don't get me wrong we would all (well the majority) would like a multi  multi billionaire come in and be like city to get the best players in within a yr, but it wouldn't make a lower valued billionaire any more exciting.

We're looking at 200m for the club, then if we do 100m over two years - that is 300m without a penny back. This money would likely be saddled as club debt unless the front man has other backers.

• Like 1

I would take another Randy Lerner as long as that owner spends the money we need to improve and builds the footballing infastructure up.  **** free travel and free scarves just get us a good scouting system.

I think it is a rather telling and very depressing indication of where modern football is at that people turn their nose up to owners worth £2bn.

Football is more than a little sickening at times.

It's even more depressing when you take into account how little investment there has been recently and yet still people wouldn't be happy with fair (but not Man City levels) of spending.

• Like 1

I would take another Randy Lerner as long as that owner spends the money we need to improve and builds the footballing infastructure up.  **** free travel and free scarves just get us a good scouting system.

Yep, I would certainly be happy - and accept - an improved version of the last man. 

I know what he tried to do, but sometimes the nice bits like scarves and the rebuilding of pubs should happen POST team/scouting/management/CEO-teams are put together. Pitch before pies!

Edited by dodgyknees