$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

The problem with a low net worth purchaser - is they may lump the purchase price onto the club books as debt. In theory the richest geezer in the world could also do this - but it seems more likleywith a low net worth buyer.

I think [in due course] it will be a consortuim with a front man anyway....

• Like 2

If you want Aston VIlla to be above average then it needs someone to invest a lot of money into it. Someone having a large amount of wealth may not be a guarantee that they are going to spend but you might as well have someone who at least has the capacity to do so. Sadly we can't just magically employ the right football people and we'll be all succesful otherwise everyone would be doing it.

£2bn is a hell of a lot of money. Even John Henry is "only" worth £1.5bn. Funnily enough, Mike Ashley is supposedly worth £6.5bn.

People need to understand that when you're talking about billionaires they're all rich enough to fund heavy investment.

Edited by Mantis

Nobody has the right to say fans will be wrong to moan about an owner 'not being worth much', frankly people can have whatever expectations they wish. It is up to the new chairman to prove he can do the job.

What, you don't think £2bn is a lot of money? Even such a paltry sum as that would make somebody one of the richer Premier League owners.

We are not going to get some oil sheikh worth £25bn and do a Man City. People need to accept this.

Nobody has the right to say fans will be wrong to moan about an owner 'not being worth much', frankly people can have whatever expectations they wish. It is up to the new chairman to prove he can do the job.

Fine, but people are also entitled to call them out for acting like spoiled children.

I just find it ridiculous that after constantly moaning about Lerner and wanting a change of ownership (with some justification as well) some are getting picky and complaining when potential buyers linked with us are "only" worth a couple of billion. It's so superficial and completely ignores the reality of football club ownership.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

I think we should run shifts. Somebody give a quick synopsis of whats happened on this thread at 10pm. Someone does the same at 6am and another at 2pm.

Saves everyone trawling through loads of made up shite when nothings really happened.

Fine, but people are also entitled to call them out for acting like spoiled children.

I just find it ridiculous that after constantly moaning about Lerner and wanting a change of ownership (with some justification as well) some are getting picky and complaining when potential buyers linked with us are "only" worth a couple of billion. It's so superficial and completely ignores the reality of football club ownership.

The reality of football club ownership is that to compete you need backing. This isn't 1982.

• Like 1

The reality of football club ownership is that to compete you need backing. This isn't 1982.

Read my post. You can get proper backing from a billionaire FFS. Look at how much other clubs spend and you'd be surprised to learn how "poor" some of the higher spenders are.

What is it with this black and white approach? People seem to think that unless somebody is worth 5/6 billion + we won't be able to compete with them at the helm.

Edited by Mantis

The reality of football club competition these days is that getting the best players costs money

We are where we are as a club right now because we have not bought sufficient better performers.  We all feel that should we not invest in players this summer to a certain level then we will be relegated next season.  I believe that to be the case.  Relegated but run properly?  Some consolation that.  

If we are to avoid relegation next season we need better players,  that means money,  that means an owner that can afford it or we can all applaud the best run club in the championship

• Like 4

The reality of football club competition these days is that getting the best players costs money

We are where we are as a club right now because we have not bought sufficient better performers.  We all feel that should we not invest in players this summer to a certain level then we will be relegated next season.  I believe that to be the case.  Relegated but run properly?  Some consolation that.  

If we are to avoid relegation next season we need better players,  that means money,  that means an owner that can afford it or we can all applaud the best run club in the championship

You're completely missing the point - £2bn is a hell of a lot of money.

Do you honestly think we need someone as rich as Abramovich or Mansour to get investment?

Edited by Mantis

I want to have mega-money, I want to shit on other clubs, I want to buy success through purchasing the best players, I want to go into the last day with a chance of success, I want cups, I want to win. I am pissed off of being near the bottom of the table looking up.

Do you honestly think we need someone as rich as Abramovich or Mansour to get investment?

In normal life. Yes.

In football? No.

• Like 2

In normal life. Yes.

In football? No.

Actually, yes, even in football. The only situation when that isn't a lot of money is if you want us to do what City or Chelsea did.

Honestly, I don't know how some fans can be so unhappy about Lerner and the lack of spending yet seemingly only be satisfied if we're bought by someone rich enough to make us among the biggest spenders in world football.

Investment to compete at the top level of the league to win things? Yes

Investment to ponce about in mid table?  No

Sorry to sound callous but if we're going to change then I want the best,  richest most charitable owner please.

If you want Aston VIlla to be above average then it needs someone to invest a lot of money into it. Someone having a large amount of wealth may not be a guarantee that they are going to spend but you might as well have someone who at least has the capacity to do so. Sadly we can't just magically employ the right football people and we'll be all succesful otherwise everyone would be doing it.

Totally agree.  if we are going to win things we need the better players and they cost money to attract and more importantly retain.  Why would anyone want a new owner with less money than this one?

Sorry that may sound mercenary and like a spoiled child at Christmas and people are entitled to say that but why shouldnt we want an owner with lots and lots of money.  Whats wrong with that

This is a money game now pure and simple besides which nothing to say an owner with multi billions wouldn't run us "properly" anyway

Do you think Man citeh fans gave a stuff about organic growth last weekend.  Or Chelsea fans give a stuff about organic growth now?  Not on your life .  I want us to win things as a club and that means spending on players.  I'm fed up of languishing where we have been the last three years due to shit investment

Totally agree. We can dream all you we like about organic growth, and doing it the right way, but the simple fact is that as soon as you start to get a few decent players the richer clubs come in and lure your players away and you are back to square one. It needs to be a combination of good wealth, with a decent plan to see the investment through. I am fed up of watching us languish playing dour football, it would be nice to see us have a chance of winning something of importance again. We need to invest in the playing squad quite heavily just to get us back in the top half, but it doesn't want to be an initial investment, followed by a pulling of the plug. We need year on year investment to be made, allowing us to bring in exciting players again.

• Like 4

Sorry to sound callous but if we're going to change then I want the best,  richest most charitable owner please.

FIne - but you're the one that's going to be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't know how some fans can be so unhappy about Lerner and the lack of spending yet seemingly only be satisfied if we're bought by someone rich enough to make us among the biggest spenders in world football.

Because that is what its going to take chap

I think we all want that - but given lerner has been looking to shift villa for quite some time .....is that probable ?