Docking Station Advice...

adw95

I'm looking to buy a dock for my iPod (it's a classic so the normal 30 pin connection) as the one I usually used just moved out... It needs to be loud without being distorted, have good bass, good sound quality, not too big, and also have a reasonable price. I'm going for a maximum of £100.

I have done the research myself but it's a difficult thing to choose so any advice would be appreciated.

Personally I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a dock where no new devices will work with it (or where it locks you into a single manufacturer). Does your ipod have Bluetooth?

• Like 1

Personally I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a dock where no new devices will work with it (or where it locks you into a single manufacturer). Does your ipod have Bluetooth?

That's good advice, with the caveat that they don't actually lock you out, completely - most of not all docks will have a phono-in line that'll take audio from any device, and if you fork out for an adaptor you could connect a newer type iPod or iPhone.

It's a shame that apple don't use a more universal connector type. I think the major reason they don't, is to make cash from licensing their connector design to accessory manufacturers.

That said as well, the latest connectors they use are better than the old ones and better than usb and ethernet type conenctors too.

I actually thought the iPhone 5 (and apple devices from there onwards) had actually changed to micro USB to match the rest of the world.

But evidently (the gf has one) it's just a smaller unique connector?

Anyway, I'd echo limpid, if you've got bluetooth then get yourself a set of bluetooth speakers. Much better.

If not, then as Blandy says, make sure you get one with a 3.5mm jack adapter too.

The new iPhone connector is every bit as proprietary as the old one, it's just a lot smaller.   I like the idea behind it, the fact that it can do audio out is great (micro USB can't do audio out) but I'd still just go with a device that can connect via bluetooth or 3.5mm jack so you aren't locked in to iOS forever. 

The new iPhone connector is every bit as proprietary as the old one, it's just a lot smaller.   I like the idea behind it, the fact that it can do audio out is great (micro USB can't do audio out) but I'd still just go with a device that can connect via bluetooth or 3.5mm jack so you aren't locked in to iOS forever. 

I'm not sure that's true. micro-USB can do full DVI so it definitely can do audio.

However, bluetooth is the way to go if you can, but if not a 3.5mm jack - £30 tops.

Most docks I've seen/used have the 3.5mm jack anyway, the iPod connection is what I wanted for the device I've been using for 4+ years. It does not have bluetooth. I just want a simple station for my bedroom which will also work as a charger.

When I had an iPhone I used this dock

Not amazing (and I'm sure you can get it for a lot less than the £95 it's listed on there) but it worked fine and was surprisingly loud.

Has a 3.5mm adapter too (although doesn't come with a lead)

When I had an iPhone I used this dock

Not amazing (and I'm sure you can get it for a lot less than the £95 it's listed on there) but it worked fine and was surprisingly loud.

Has a 3.5mm adapter too (although doesn't come with a lead)

Thanks for an actual suggestion!

• Like 1

The new iPhone connector is every bit as proprietary as the old one, it's just a lot smaller. I like the idea behind it, the fact that it can do audio out is great (micro USB can't do audio out) but I'd still just go with a device that can connect via bluetooth or 3.5mm jack so you aren't locked in to iOS forever.

I'm not sure that's true. micro-USB can do full DVI so it definitely can do audio.

However, bluetooth is the way to go if you can, but if not a 3.5mm jack - £30 tops.

DVI doesn't support audio does it?

I was about to say, if I knew of a Micro USB cable which did audio too, I'd own one.   The ones I have seen for sale have been bundled cables.

I found this but I must admit, I was mixing up DVI and HDMI. My bad.

When the CD player on my Hi Fi broke I was looking to buy one of those dock things, then I found out about stereo connection cables, you can get them for as little as 2 pounds, and as long as your device has an earphone socket they'll connect it to your stereo/cd player via the aux connection if it has one.

I haven't looked back since.

I bought my sister one of these for Christmas. It's pretty cool, it's got all sorts of inputs including usb and aux. It'll also play CDs,and radio too.

It cost me £145 at the time, but if you don't mind pink - £113.

It sounds great for the dosh. The speakers are separate, you can actually appreciate a bit of stereophonic sound.

Â