Tax Question!

DeadlyDirk

Hello All,

Quick question which shouldn't be too complicated as there are some finance experts on here.....

At work I earn just under £24,000 a year basic. I hardly ever do overtime. I've been doing a special job for the last 6 weeks, which has given me 95 hours of overtime at £17 an hour.

If you where take my annual salary and put 95 hours overtime onto it each month it would take me to a salary of £42k per annum.

With that in mind, is it likely that for this month only I will be put into the 40% tax bracket, with an adjustment coming the following month, or would the tax bracket only apply when I get to the threshold overall for the year?

Or, given the time of year would it take into account what I've already earned and decide that even if I did earn that for the remaining months of the year, it wouldn't push me into the higher bracket so therefore still tax me at 20%?

It's all so complicated!!

Your tax code should only allow you to be deducted your standard rate, regardless of the hours/wage you will pick up, you will pay more tax because you earned more money that week though

No chance that it'd be 40%. It's calculated on your annual salary. The fact that you've had a bit of extra bunco in one month won't make a blind bit of difference.

Edit - What is a Bunco and why does the site dictionary not recognise the word Bunce?

Edited by choffer
  • Like 1

No chance that it'd be 40%. It's calculated on your annual salary. The fact that you've had a bit of extra bunco in one month won't make a blind bit of difference.

I thought it was called Pay as you earn for a reason ?

You won't be affected. My basic is similar to yours but some weeks I can pick up nearly 3 times as much if I've been put on a higher rate for a special project and I'm working long hours in the week. I still only get taxed at the lower rate.

Just to answer my own question:

Bunco (also Bunko or Bonko) is a parlour game played in teams with three dice.

:detect:

If you're in a mid-century American police movie (and contemporary real life?), it also refers to a unit of the police force, generally charged with investigating confidence schemes and frauds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhC_Zoe25Eg

Tax is calculated on your annual salary, where as NI is calculated on a pay as you play basis. It actually benefits you in NI terms to get paid more in one lump sum (should you earn enough).

You should be ok.

Â