Gypie Mayo

mjmooney

Ok .. I'll say it then

Never heard of him  .. had to look him up on the interweb

I said it the post before you. That's what doing a Mooney is! :)

Ok .. I'll say it then

Never heard of him  .. had to look him up on the interweb

I said it the post before you. That's what doing a Mooney is! :)

:blush:  of course it is   ... for some reason I took that as a reply to Mike's I haven't killed him yet and you'd coined a new VT phrase  for killing guitarists  ..,.. i wonder what goes on in that head of mine sometimes

Is he dead yet?

(Checks) No, he isn't.

Funnily enough I saw it on Wilko Johnson's Facebook page. He wouldn't. Would he? :blink:

Edited by mjmooney

I went and saw the Gypie lineup, it still had Lee up front so it was still Dr Feelgood as far as I'm concerned. One of my first gigs and a life changer.

In fact, I'm off for a think, but I reckon my oldest gig anecdote involves Mr Mayo......

So, it’s around 1980, 1981 and Dr Feelgood are playing a dive of a club down the docks. I can’t find anyone else that wants to go so, first time ever, I go to a gig on my own (didn't tell mum n dad).

I get there and it’s old school set up, woman in a ticket booth. I ask for a ticket and she asks if I’m sure! Weird, but I say yes, pay and then ask if I can come back out if I get a poster or a record. She assures me she’ll remember me. Weird, but hey ho.

I get in there, dead proud of my genuine Carnaby Street suit, the black and white shoes, the suede head haircut, I am so cool it’s just untrue.

Every other **** in that club turns out to be a leather and denim clad beardy biker type. I buy a record and the guy the other side of the table compliments me on my suit and asks if I want  the record sleeve signed. Signed! By the bloke selling records and badges, nah you’re alright, **** off. Turns out that was Lee B, but never mind.

Gig gets going, heavies are all fine (probably not that threatened by a spotty kid in a skinny suit) and I’m in my element. To the point I’m front middle and bouncing around with the best of them. I’m eyes closed, air guitar world of my own. Then, a feeling of space, no more jostling. I open my eyes and the crowd is in a bit of a semi circle facing me. I turn and the guitarist, who presumably has noticed me suited up and in a world of my own, is off the stage and playing right next to me.

I should say here I embraced him and was the model of cool. I properly shite meself, jumped out of my skin and didn’t know what to do in reality. Great gig though. I’m gonna say that was John.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

I know we 'like' comments to show our appreciation but once again a single 'like' doesn't portray how much once more The Moon Man has made me laugh. Almost as good as the Astronaut bee-keeping Dog.

• Like 1

Â