Counter-attack isn't working

Kingfisher

Depends on the team .. Playing Spurs at home it's as playing other team away .. It's as we did against City .. Keep the score tight till the end ! But it didn't work this time .. Because look how our form was when we attacked ?! We've been inspired with Benteke in , But Lambert must have put Sylla instead Westwood to secure .. So that attackers could do their jobs .. Losing to Spurs isn't unpredictable .. Actually I thought the worse at the beginning .. 

In the game against Hull I would agree that we needed another way .. But even if we were losing to Spurs .. It's hard for us just to attack or we could lose badly !!

Does lambert no any other way, its part of the reason were so dire at home. The "young and hungry" players we signed in his first year have their big contracts and shiny range rovers and dont fit into that category anymore. At home 2 shots and 30 something possession is absolutely unacceptable.

Instead of spending 7m on a creative spark in midfield we used it on another lump of a forward to add to the other 3 6ft+ strikers we already have..

Does it really matter how tall the strikers are? I haven't seen much of him but Helenius is supposed really good with his feet but not that strong. Benteke's hardly a traditional target man either.

Yes it doesn't matter because when the 4 strikers a manager brings in are all above 6ft2 then surely you would assume that it seems to be the criteria, a man to hoof too.Now of course benteke is much much more than that but is helenius? If so why aren't we seeing him? We just signed kozak so i dont want to be too harsh but from what we've seen so far can anyone honestly say he is anything more than an aerial threat? He certainly doesnt have any pace or technical attributes thats for sure.

We are a direct, counter attacking team i dont know how anyone can be offended or deny that tbh. Last season we passed it around  a bit aswell as the direct/counter play but this year we dont seem to be able too. Passing today was awful and painful to watch, frustrating when you watch teams like swansea play and can only dream of you team playing anything like that. Its not like you have to have a billionaire owner to do so.

• Like 1

Yes in possession we have deteriorated this season. Not sure why but we don't seem to have the same composure we did at the end of last season. Guess its being a really tough opening to the season so better to judge when we play against teams our equal or worse.

I think it stems mainly from defence. We don't try and play our way out of defence - this has reduced the embarrassing goals with a player dallying on the ball type  - but it drops our possession % quite dramatically. 

This wasn't a home game where the other side sat back and let villa break them down. Playing a top 5 or 6 side at home is like playing away, they'll control the ball and countering is the correct way to go. Trying to play attractive passing football doesn't do well against the top sides, just look at Swansea against the big clubs this year.

Thats exactly what i'm saying, hes not a targetman which is why i think he isnt starting. Why else isnt he getting a game? He's far more creative than any of our midfielders.

Because he's one for the future and because we have no one good enough to displace Benteke.

Away from home I couldn't be happier, it helps we get a result more often than not but I felt we played some really good football second half at Arsenal and Chelsea. Norwich and Hull were different, more of a battle and scrap but we got 4 points and two clean sheets.

But at home...I just don't see what is happening. There is little good football and no idea when he inevitably  fall behind.

Now even though last season we didn't win many home games, I thought there were quite a few examples of games when he actually played really well, obviously the Sunderland game but I thought we were excellent 60 minutes against Chelsea before the benteke red ruined things, 2nd half against QPR when we were brilliant going forward and first half against Liverpool.

We scored some excellent team goals home and away last season, this season doesn't really seem like that.

Does lambert no any other way, its part of the reason were so dire at home. The "young and hungry" players we signed in his first year have their big contracts and shiny range rovers and dont fit into that category anymore. At home 2 shots and 30 something possession is absolutely unacceptable.

Instead of spending 7m on a creative spark in midfield we used it on another lump of a forward to add to the other 3 6ft+ strikers we already have..

Does it really matter how tall the strikers are? I haven't seen much of him but Helenius is supposed really good with his feet but not that strong. Benteke's hardly a traditional target man either.

It would be nice to have a quick and tricky centre forward who can finish.

Thats exactly what i'm saying, hes not a targetman which is why i think he isnt starting. Why else isnt he getting a game? He's far more creative than any of our midfielders.

Because he's one for the future and because we have no one good enough to displace Benteke.

I dont expect him to displace benteke, but when he's been injured for weeks that doesn't really stand up does it. Face it, the big strong targetman type has been preferred to a more creative forward its that simple while benteke has been absent. 

I'm not surprised he always played lumps upfront, at norwich and now here i'm just saying it would be nice to et up a bit differently sometimes, especially at home. If today was away then i'd have some sympathy.

I dont expect him to displace benteke, but when he's been injured for weeks that doesn't really stand up does it. Face it, the big strong targetman type has been preferred to a more creative forward its that simple while benteke has been absent. 

I'm not surprised he always played lumps upfront, at norwich and now here i'm just saying it would be nice to et up a bit differently sometimes, especially at home. If today was away then i'd have some sympathy.

I'm not denying that, but Helenius probably isn't ready to be chucked into the deep end yet.

How isn't it working though? Played five of the best six teams in the league in the first eight games and come away with ten points. Swansea are the only team who've had a comparably hard start though there's was a tad easier, and they've also come away with 10 points even though they play a style that everyone seems to love.

Today was frustrating. but I do think we have to consider that so far at home we've had Spurs twice, Man City, Liverpool. I'm not sure we have the players to outplay these teams, so counter-attack might be best option we have. The other game was Newcastle and that was a disappointing performance, but I think we really need to wait and see what we do when we play more of the bottom half teams at home. those are the games we have to win and those are the games where we'll have more of the ball and must take initiative

Watching us play at home is like watching us play under O Neill at home. Lack of ideas and no plan B.

Hmmm

Actually, I think I can spot one or two slight differences between our home performance under Lambo and under MON: 

MON

%won: 42%

%drawn: 37%

%lost: 21%

Aggregate goal difference:- +37

Goals scored per game: 1.44

Lambert

%won: 26%

%drawn: 22%

%lost: 52%

Aggregate goal difference: -8

Goals scored per game: 1.17

Looks like a definite step or three down to me.

Not to mention that there was lots of impetus from the midfield offensively under MON. Whereas under Lambert the general plan is to just pass to one of the front three and hope they might produce something.

Not to mention that there was lots of impetus from the midfield offensively under MON. Whereas under Lambert the general plan is to just pass to one of the front three and hope they might produce something.

Compare the players in both midfields...

Compare the players in both midfields...

You miss the point. The midfield waa central to the way we played under MON whereas it plays a less important role under Lambert.

Watching us play at home is like watching us play under O Neill at home. Lack of ideas and no plan B.

Hmmm

Actually, I think I can spot one or two slight differences between our home performance under Lambo and under MON: 

MON

%won: 42%

%drawn: 37%

%lost: 21%

Aggregate goal difference:- +37

Goals scored per game: 1.44

Lambert

%won: 26%

%drawn: 22%

%lost: 52%

Aggregate goal difference: -8

Goals scored per game: 1.17

Looks like a definite step or three down to me.

I guess thats what happens when you sell all your best and most experienced players and replace them with cheap young alternatives... Hopefully we will see it all come to fruition sometime soon  :unsure:

Edited by danceoftheshamen

Â