Steelers (+2.5)

Bengals (-7, shaded to -105)

Titans (+13)

Jaguars (+26.5)

Cardinals (+10.5)

Saints (+3, shaded to -120)

Redskins (+5.5)

Colts (-1.5)

Big money has come in on the Jaguars to cover (it opened as a record-breaking 27.5-point spread). I can't say I disagree with them.

The Broncos will probably be up 35 at halftime, but at some point I'd expect Peyton, Welker, and Co. to be pulled and for the defense to basically go into prevent. With close to a half-hour of garbage time, the Jaguars can probably claw back 10-14 points.

You only see the 20-point-plus spreads with teams that the public has deemed unstoppable. More often than not, they get stopped.

You only see the 20-point-plus spreads with teams that the public has deemed unstoppable. More often than not, they get stopped.

Yeah I was thinking about that. I wonder what the handicap cutoff is where a game is no longer competitive, to the point of one team resting players resulting in the handicap becoming dangerous. You reckon 20+.

THU, OCT 10
NY Giants at Chicago

SUN, OCT 13
Cincinnati at Buffalo 
Detroit at Cleveland 
Oakland at Kansas City 
Carolina at Minnesota 
Pittsburgh at NY Jets 
Philadelphia at Tampa 
Green Bay at Baltimore
St. Louis at Houston

Jacksonville at Denver 
Tennessee at Seattle
Arizona at San Francisco
New Orleans at New England 
Washington at Dallas

MON, OCT 14
Indianapolis at San Diego

NY Giants at Chicago

Cincinnati at Buffalo

Detroit at Cleveland

Oakland at Kansas City

Carolina at Minnesota

Pittsburgh at NY Jets

Philadelphia at Tampa Bay

Green Bay at Baltimore

St. Louis at Houston

Jacksonville at Denver

Tennessee at Seattle

Arizona at San Francisco

New Orleans at New England

Washington at Dallas

Indianapolis at San Diego

We differ on 3 Stefan. I have Green Bay winning in Baltimore, Nawleans winning in Boston and Luck beating the Bolts.

GB can go either way this year

Pats need to come good sometime right?

Blots deserve a win, but Indy will probably win, lets be honest.

Do you all play the NFL UK fantasy game? What's the highest you've ever finished in the weekly standings?

I've been playing for about 5 years and the week before last, came 17th, which was my best ever weekly finish. 

I usually go for a couple of left-field picks every week as differentials. when you see the winning team every week it almost always some surprise players. Never really come off for me though.  

Edited by KennyPowers

Yeah I was thinking about that. I wonder what the handicap cutoff is where a game is no longer competitive, to the point of one team resting players resulting in the handicap becoming dangerous. You reckon 20+.

The rule predates the introduction (reintroduction for us AFC East or West fans ;)) of the 2-point conversion, but the TV networks are allowed to switch viewers of games outside of the home markets of the teams competing to a more competitive game once it's the 4th quarter and the margin is at least 18. 18 was pretty clearly arrived at as the first margin where (before you could go for 2) you needed 3 TDs to win or tie. 2 TDs + 2 2PCs + 1 FG is 19 points, so it could be argued that 20pts in the 4th quarter is asking too much.

The biggest comeback in NFL history was 32 points from 13:19 in the 3rd quarter, which wasn't even a net of 1.2 points per minute and took some freakishness:

The Bills got a huge assist to start their comeback on the ensuing kickoff. The wind shifted the ball just before it was kicked by Al Del Greco. As a result, it became an unintentional squib kick that the Bills recovered with great field position at midfield. Buffalo then drove 50 yards in 10 plays, including a pass to Pete Metzelaars that went right through the hands of linebacker Eddie Robinson, and scored with a 1-yard touchdown run by Davis, cutting the deficit to 35–10 when the extra point was added. On the drive, Reich completed a 24-yard pass to tight end Metzelaars and a 16-yard strike to Andre Reed, while Davis kept the drive going with a 5-yard run on fourth down and 2 before finishing it off with a touchdown run with 8:52 left in the 3rd quarter.

Christie then recovered his own onside kick and the Bills scored on the fourth play of their ensuing drive with Reich's 38-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Don Beebe (on a play in which one of Beebe's feet went partially out of bounds during the run before he made the catch—an illegal touching of the football; this was pointed out on ESPN's "NFL Primetime" postgame recap as well as by Todd Christensen on the NBC broadcast, but no penalty was called on the play). Then, the extra point made the score 35-17 with 7:46 left in the third quarter.

Houston was then forced to punt for the first time in the game on their next drive,

Who was the offensive coordinator for the Oilers? I'll ask Kurt and KKR... ;)

Greg Montgomery's 25-yard kick gave Buffalo the ball at their own 41-yard line. Reich started out the ensuing drive with an 18-yard completion to James Lofton. Davis gained 20 yards on a screen pass and then Reich threw a 26-yard touchdown pass to Reed, trimming the lead (after making the extra point) to 35–24. In a span of 10 minutes in the third quarter, the Bills had run 18 plays, gained 176 yards, and scored 21 points, while holding the Oilers' offense to 3 plays for 3 yards.

The situation did not get any better for Houston. On the first play of the Oilers' ensuing possession, Moon's pass was tipped off the hands of Slaughter; Bills' safety Henry Jones intercepted the pass from Moon and returned it 15 yards to the Houston 23-yard line. Three plays later, Buffalo faced fourth down and five on the 18-yard line. Rather than attempt a field goal, Reich connected with Reed for the touchdown. With the score (including the extra point), the Bills had cut their deficit from 32 points to four in a span of just 6:52. On the Oilers' next drive, linebacker Darryl Talley forced a fumble from Moon while sacking him. Houston recovered the fumble, but they were forced to punt, and Montgomery's 24-yard kick gave Buffalo the ball at its 48-yard line. In the third quarter, Buffalo had outscored Houston 28–7 while holding Moon to 2 of 7 completions for 19 yards.

This time, the Bills could not take advantage of their excellent starting field position and had to punt. Moon's run and shoot offense began to move the ball effectively again, aided by a roughing the passer penalty on Bruce Smith that negated linebacker Carlton Bailey's interception. Despite two sacks by Wright on the drive, Houston reached the Buffalo 14-yard line. Al Del Greco attempted a field goal to increase the Oilers' lead, but Montgomery fumbled the snap. Talley recovered the ball and returned it 70 yards, but officials ruled him down by contact when he made the initial recovery, giving Buffalo the ball on their own 26-yard line. After two plays, the Bills faced third down and four. With Houston's defense dropping back and expecting a pass, Reich handed the ball off to Davis, who stormed through the line and took off for a 35-yard gain. Only a diving tackle from defensive back Steve Jackson prevented Davis from taking it all the way for a touchdown. Then Reich went back to passing the ball, completing a short pass to Reed at the Oilers' 17-yard line on third down and two for the first down. With just 3:08 left in the fourth quarter, Reich threw a 17-yard touchdown pass to Reed, giving Buffalo its first lead of the game 38–35 (after the extra point); for the first time all season, the Houston defense (ninth in fewest points allowed that season) had allowed over 29 points. But Moon led Houston downfield on a 63-yard drive to score the tying 26-yard field goal from Del Greco to send the game into overtime. A key play on the drive was an 18-yard completion to Slaughter on fourth down and four from the Bills' 34-yard line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0NckkypQOY

Biggest point spreads post-merger

5 December, 1976: Steelers favored by 27 over the Bucs; Steelers won 42-0 (Favorite covered)

25 November, 2007: Patriots favored by 24.5 over the Eagles; Patriots won 31-28 (Dog covered)

5 December, 1993: 49ers favored by 24 over the Bengals; 49ers won 21-8 (Dog covered)

11 October, 1987: 49ers favored by 23.5 over the Falcons; 49ers won 25-17 (Dog covered)

2 October, 1977: Cowboys favored by 23 over the Bucs; Cowboys won 23-7 (Dog covered)

23 December, 2007: Patriots favored by 22.5 over the Dolphins; Patriots won 28-7 (Dog covered)

12 December, 1976: Patriots favored by 21 over the Bucs; Patriots won 31-14 (Dog covered)

The most recent 20-point-plus spread, off the top of my head, was Patriots by 20.5 over the Colts in 2011, with the Patriots winning 31-24.

My college and NFL action for tonight...

Bears -8.5: risk 10 units to win 9.09

Bears ml -360: risk 10 units to win 2.77

Bears -3.5 -195: risk 11 units to win 5.64

Bears -14.5 +192: 8 units

Louisville -19.5: risk 12 units to win 10.90

Louisville -30.5 +285: 8 units

Louisville -10.5 -250: risk 10 units to win 4.00

Â