Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

7 minutes ago, JB said:

I completely understand the defender’s duty of care and how seriously any head contact needs to be taken - within the letter of the law it might well have been the correct decision - but if that’s a red card then the rules are ****. It was a unavoidable collision and Keenan has moved into Steward. Their needs to be something into the rules that prevents contests being ruined by complete accidents. 

If Ireland win a grand slam due to a controversial red for England that's going be disappointing. They've been very good all tournament and that's not how they'd have wanted to win it (if I was them).

25 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Very much accidental but that's always a red card in rugby now

24 minutes ago, JB said:

That is utter **** bullshit. I’m not sure what Steward’s alternative course of action is there. 

22 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

South African ref punishing England to the max again…

ruined what was a very decent contest. 

I was driving back from VP still so not seen it yet. I had five live on, both Matt Dawson and Jamie Heaslip were saying it’s a ridiculous decision. They said it’s a rugby incident, Stewart reacting to the knock on and actually moved his body to try to avoid contact. They say the ref hasn’t understood the situation and hasn’t watched a reply of it in normal time. Once it’s gone to slow mo and he sees the contact he will see it as no mitigation and then by letter law he has to see red. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

If Ireland win a grand slam due to a controversial red for England that's going be disappointing. They've been very good all tournament and that's not how they'd have wanted to win it (if I was them).

Dombrant’s late shoulder into Johnny Sexton warranted a yellow. Wasn’t given.

It was a soft red but England have been lucky on the discipline side.

3 minutes ago, Enda said:

And as I say that, another late hit on Sexton’s ankle.

Nonsense. Curry fully committed. Not every collision after the ball has gone is a late hit. 

Without that red I think England would have won this.

Ireland have played over 20 mins against 14 men and only just starting to utilise it. I'm disappointed by them and think France were a lot more dominant last week.

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Without that red I think England would have won this.

I’m not sure. England’s attack has been very poor and wasn’t much better with 15. I can’t recall us even coming close to scoring a try. 

6 minutes ago, JB said:

Nonsense. Curry fully committed. Not every collision after the ball has gone is a late hit. 

I’d agree with you if it wasn’t the fourth or fifth 50-50 late hit. There’s a reason England have given away 12 penalties. At a certain point you stop giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Another bit of afters from Marciant, directed at Johnny Sexton. Coincidence as well I suppose.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JB said:

I’m not sure. England’s attack has been very poor and wasn’t much better with 15. I can’t recall us even coming close to scoring a try. 

I think we could have kicked our way to a win. Ireland were definitely growing though and starting to look threatening before the red but I guess we'll never know.

Writing this just as George puts it down.

Before the game you'd gave predicted a big win for Ireland given how poor England have been recently and yet they've played the full 2nd half against 14 men and not looked convincing. 

I still think England will sort themselves out and outperform Ireland at the World Cup and this performance adds to that.

It doesn't matter how many skilful fly - half's England produce if all we continue to do is play the same old stifling rugby. Just like in football, especially at international level, we have always struggled to accommodate the "maverick" individual into the team.

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Fully deserved by the boys in green. It's incredible what you can achieve when you have the right people in charge.

No one plays such exciting rugby as Ireland do.

Congrats to Ireland but that's a poor win against a poor England side. 

I cant see anything but a southern hemisphere win at the World Cup.

3 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I actually think it could be France’s year with home advantage and the best crop of players for decades. 

England raised their game today and deserve credit for nullifying Ireland for so long.

Ireland not at their best but stifled this evening. Overall though, they deserve the Slam. 

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I actually think it could be France’s year with home advantage and the best crop of players for decades. 

England raised their game today and deserve credit for nullifying Ireland for so long.

Ireland not at their best but stifled this evening. Overall though, they deserve the Slam. 

Would've loved to have seen what the game could have been without the red as the result was inevitable aftet that but ultimately Ireland won't care.

I'm happy for them as I am for how England played today.

I'd be okay with France winning it just to end the dominance of the Southern Hemisphere. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

That "congrats" wasn't through gritted teeth was it? It was never going to be easy for Ireland today. England were never going to roll over with a grand slam at stake. When it comes to consistency and dynamic rugby, there is no better team than Ireland. As for the World Cup, I guarantee Ireland will make the final, whether they can actually win it, well we'll just have to see, but out of all the Northern Hemisphere teams, they look the best bet.

16 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Jacko Pumper couldn’t wait to show another card - really dislike that ref

All together now, " oh, I've never met a nice South African and that's not bloody surprising man." 

Makes me think of Spitting image.

Â