128 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Mellberg - Laursen
    • Mellberg - Cahill
    • Mellberg - Ridgewell
    • Laursen - Cahill
    • Laursen - Ridgewell
    • Ridgewell - Cahill

Mellberg and Laursen. There really is no discussion for me, given they are both fully fit, based on their combined experience and how their strenghts and weaknesses compliment eachother excellently.

Laursen is the best central defender at Villa by some distance.

Ridgwell is next and Mellberg is one of the worst defenders I have seen play for Villa in a long long time.

Controversial I know.

Cahill is not ready yet.

Why does everyone rate Mellberg so highly?

Because he is good.

Is he as good as some are saying?

The hoooph ball is still there and his understanding with other defenders leaves a lot to be desired.

I've always wondered that. Going on the history of Villa defenders, tradionally our strong point, we have had the likes of McGrath, Southgate, and going back even further Allan Evans, Ken Mcnaught, you have to wonder what qualitis people see in Mellberg to make him even in the top 5.

he is an extremely average central defender belonging in a lower table premiership team, or a championship side.

I fail to see anything he has in defending that makes him good at his job.

I've always wondered that. Going on the history of Villa defenders, tradionally our strong point, we have had the likes of McGrath, Southgate, and going back even further Allan Evans, Ken Mcnaught, you have to wonder what qualitis people see in Mellberg to make him even in the top 5.

he is an extremely average central defender belonging in a lower table premiership team, or a championship side.

I fail to see anything he has in defending that makes him good at his job.

I am not a fan really. BUT you have to say he is our quickest defender. Very pacy i find. Also strong at tackling (obvoius I know but he is good, better than say, Hughes)

However, looks less comfortable in possesion that me when I play football, cannot deal with the long ball (heading wise), and sometimes fails to read the game, relying on his pace.

Fails to read the game and sh*t in the air, thats two essential qualities for a central defender I think. So that leaves pace, and he is losing that by the day.

So as Ian said, why is Mellberg rated so highly because I could name a dozen defenders in the PL that are in a different league to the very average Olof Mellberg.

Because he is good.

Is he as good as some are saying?

The hoooph ball is still there and his understanding with other defenders leaves a lot to be desired.

Is he is as good as some are saying? No

Is he as bad as some are saying? No

He is a good player but i think his form last year dropped considerably and it hasnt returned, as of yet, to the previous level he was playing at.

I'm with the majority.

Mellberg - very capable defender

Laursen - just a class act

Cahill - in the future will be first choice I believe but for now he is a little inconsistent and a little inexperienced

Ridgewell - Good, solid centre half but not good enough to be first choice for a team challenging for Europe.

if you asked again in 12 months time, im sure people would be amazed that there was any question over the ridge and cahill, i voted laursen and the ridge but laursen wont be around next year,. we will see the emergence of the two young guns and they will do us proud for a good long time.

Seems pretty conclusive so far. Perhaps a closer poll would be to ask how you rank our 4 central defenders 1 to 4
I'm sure you're right and it's also interesting but Michelsen later says

Mellberg and Laursen. There really is no discussion for me, given they are both fully fit, based on their combined experience and how their strenghts and weaknesses compliment each other excellently.
and I'm sure that that's the way a manager would think.

I do wish Olly would stop hoofing it though.

Olly's distribution is poor, but to say (as some have) that he's the worst CB we've had for years is a bit much. He's good in the tackle and has good awareness, he's a decent CB in my book. In fact I'd say Cahill and Ridge are amongst the worst CB's I've seen in a Villa shirt in my living memory. Schimeca impressed me more than either of these kids and he never made it, I don't think either should be anywhere near a Villa side, it just shows how much standards have slipped over the last 10 years.

Olly's distribution is poor, but to say (as some have) that he's the worst CB we've had for years is a bit much. He's good in the tackle and has good awareness, he's a decent CB in my book. In fact I'd say Cahill and Ridge are amongst the worst CB's I've seen in a Villa shirt in my living memory. Schimeca impressed me more than either of these kids and he never made it, I don't think either should be anywhere near a Villa side, it just shows how much standards have slipped over the last 10 years.
Yeah of course they are that bad :roll:

Strange, I don't think Mellberg is anywhere near as bad in the air as people have made out. Given I have always seen him as our best defender and a more than adequate replacement to Southgate. What Mellberg needs is a regular partner.... With Laursen he looks so comfortable as he did with Alpay. There is a reason he was captain and to be honest if you don't see what he does right you have an agenda. I'm not saying he is Paul McGrath but I can say with some confidence he is amung the best in the league, he wouldn't be under so much pressure with a better "destroyer" in front of him.

I remember threads comparing him with God.

Â