128 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Mellberg - Laursen
    • Mellberg - Cahill
    • Mellberg - Ridgewell
    • Laursen - Cahill
    • Laursen - Ridgewell
    • Ridgewell - Cahill

mellberg and laursen as forst choice because they have the most experience and looked excellent as a pair...

cahill and ridge could become a great partnership too in the future, but to rely on them at the moment, would be silly...

Ridge and Cahill will both have decent careers playing in the premiership and i hope it will be with aston villa.

Not many centre backs play as much as those 2 at such a young age and the more experince they get the better they will become. They both have the attributes to become really good players.

Laursen is different class, but to be fair we haven't seen enough of him on a regular basis, we don't know for sure he can be great on a consistent basis.

Mellberg has been a bit of form at times but he has been a very good defender for us over the years. How come he doesn't get the angel nice guy, model pro defence card played for him?

Ridge and Cahill will both have decent careers playing in the premiership and i hope it will be with aston villa.

Not many centre backs play as much as those 2 at such a young age and the more experince they get the better they will become. They both have the attributes to become really good players.

Laursen is different class, but to be fair we haven't seen enough of him on a regular basis, we don't know for sure he can be great on a consistent basis.

Mellberg has been a bit of form at times but he has been a very good defender for us over the years. How come he doesn't get the angel nice guy, model pro defence card played for him?

he doesnt seem to ever smile :) , looks quite moody i think

but I can say with some confidence he is amung the best in the league,

Off the top of my head:

Terry, Gallas, Toure, King, Dawson, Carragher, Hypia, Dunn, Distin, Campbell, Woodgate, Jagielka in the PL, and Davies, at West Brom are all better than Mellberg.

Notice that the first 7 play for top 4 teams.

If we want to be top 4 we need to get rid of players like Mellberg. He's been rubbish since Gregory left and that was years ago.

but I can say with some confidence he is amung the best in the league,

Off the top of my head:

Terry, Gallas, Toure, King, Dawson, Carragher, Hypia, Dunn, Distin, Campbell, Woodgate, Jagielka in the PL, and Davies, at West Brom are all better than Mellberg.

Notice that the first 7 play for top 4 teams.

If we want to be top 4 we need to get rid of players like Mellberg. He's been rubbish since Gregory left and that was years ago.

Would disagree with- Jagielka, Davies (not seen him do it up the top), Woodgate (back at Leeds he was the best at the time), Dawson (again seen nothing), Hyppia has been losing it for a long time. And Richard Dunne no ta. Same goes for Distin.

Add Ferdinand to that as a better player

I'm in favour of Cahill and Mellberg.

I'd stick with Cahill for now; a number of the posters in this thread have suggested he just needs more experience of the Premiership, well, now's the time to get it. I think we're far enough away from the interesting ends of the table to let him make his mistakes and be better prepared for the important challenges to come.

I'm concerned about Mellbergs form, but confident in his ability.

Slightly off topic I know, but with Terry injured I think Vidic is the best centre half in the Premiership. Weren't we linked with him at one point ?

Yeah but Ellis was in charge and unfortunately he would have cost money.

I play centre back for my local pub team and ive always played with one strong defender and one to sweep... i think laursen should be first choice with Ridgewell learning from him and mellberg with cahill learning from him.

I thought last season the past few seasons that Mellbergs biggest problem was that he was going for the first ball where he used to have Alpay,Ronny Johnson etc to do it for him...

So for me its Mellberg/Laursen as first choice with the two young lads filling in and gaining experience when called upon...

Yeah I agree aswell, I think Gary Cahill could be our John Terry, he throws himself in front of every ball and fights for everything, I think the more time MON gives him now in the first team, I think it will benefit Villa in the next few years. Would put him in front of Ridge at the moment but I think he too will be rested once Laursen gets up to full speed!

laursen and mellberg without a shadow of a doubt

cahill on the bench

i'm not a big fan of ridgewell, hes reasonably solid, but lacks pace and gets caught out a lot, cahill will be a different class to him by the time they are both in there primes IMO

Ridgewell for me reads the game better than Cahill.

I found it odd that MON hadn't put a defender on the bench for the Newcastle game.

:?

He put Aaron Hughes on there. I would rather see Ridgewell on there but I guess Hughes has more versatility.

Ridgewell to me could be a real contender for defensive midfielder. He can pick a pass and is always looking to do so. Gets stuck in, has leadership qualities... just a thought really. I know there was a thread about Cahill in that role but to me Ridgewell is a better candidate - and Cahill I prefer as a central defender out the two anyway.

Â