Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

Well we have no chance with Harewood anyway. The Mirror say that Spurs want him and as we all know they are much better than us and any player ever linked to them will always want to join them

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think O'Neill is gonna look for 'direct' cover for players like Carew as it will limit how flexible we are tactically. I may be wrong but I'd be very surprised if every time carew was injured he'd be replaced 'like for like'. I think any striker he signs will have different skills, giving us four different options, thereby ensuring the opposition wont just be able to predict the way we play all the time. For example it has been mentioned that signing someone like Bellamy or Defoe (just an example fella's!) would be too similar to Gabby, but to my mind thats a very shallow comparison in that pace is the only similarity. Either of those players would add something we dont have in the other three, Carews agression (granted without the physique) allied with directness.

And that theory also stretches to other signings. A question I've read repeatedly is if we get NRC and we also go after Sneijder, where will they all play? Again that is assuming we're gonna have a 'starting 11' that never changes unless forced to (like under DOL) again being too predictable. I see MON having a core 5 or 6 players that are regulars, with the other 5 positions being selected on merit and to suit the occasion. That also gives flexibility of formation and would explain why two of MON signings (Young and Maloney) are two of the most versatile players in the prem with the ability to cover any forward going position.

I may be massivley wide of the mark and Mr O'Neill may prove it by signing a Carew mk II but its just how I have being viewing both the tranfer rumours and, over a longer period, the positional experiments since Jan.

Good post Tim and I believe you are right. I'd also point out (to others) that NRC & Sneijder are nothing like each other and should not be mutually exclusive to a team, as is seemingly being implied on here.

I´ve seen Harewood many times and one thing that he has is that he never seems to give up and he is quite physical. He is limited in technique and skills, but he outshines many because of his "never say die"-mentality.

If you ask me if I want him to Villa I would say no...but that is based only on his limited skills. I dont think there is many other strikers in Premier that outshine him in effort and determination.

Yet...I would like us to bring better players in...and for back up we could use what we already have in our younger players such as Moore, Agbonlahor, Young and Maloney. I would like to see us getting Defoe. If we get Defoe and not lose younger players I will be quite satisfied if we even signed Harewood because he would give us some options up front.

We would have Hulk mark I and Hulk mark II...what can bring us down? :lol:

What we need is a striker who can put the ball in the net week after week. cause i don't think Carew is that man..

That'll be Defoe then, no movement until Bent has signed for the Spuds though :wink:

What we need is a striker who can put the ball in the net week after week. cause i don't think Carew is that man..

I really think we already have him in the squad...Luke Moore...but I would like Defoe to come because he is a good striker. Bent would be great, but I really think he is bound to either Spurs or West Ham. I think Curbishley has the lead here...

I really think we already have him in the squad...Luke Moore...but I would like Defoe to come because he is a good striker. Bent would be great, but I really think he is bound to either Spurs or West Ham. I think Curbishley has the lead here...

I agree... 6 appearances only on as sub at end of season and 2 goals...he's the best finisher we've got at VP. He's hungry - already back in training to get ready for next season. Would be just a shame if we got rid of local academy lads just to replace them with so called "Bigger names". Give him a chance. We lost our way when LM had to have op last year, we were a poorer side without him till Young and Carew came in.

Carew isn't the guy that will bag 20-30 goals a season.

We need someone who understands how too play off a target man (Carew) to get the goals he creates. That is, IMO, why Carew was bought here.

Yup we've been through this before. Carew is not a 20 goal a season man, but then he never has been and it's not why he was brought here. I think Gabby's 2nd season is going to be very interesting indeed.

I love the way people are saying, we need a 20 or even 30 goals a season man. A little reminder for you:

One (1) player scored 20 this year and it was Drogba. Last year it was RVN and Henry, and before that it was Henry and Johnson. And the year before that it was RVN, Henry and Shearer.

So when your asking for those types of players, remember how difficult it is to produce such a tally. And how few players do it on a regular basis. Only RVN, Henry and Shearer springs to mind.

I love the way people are saying, we need a 20 or even 30 goals a season man. A little reminder for you:

One (1) player scored 20 this year and it was Drogba. Last year it was RVN and Henry, and before that it was Henry and Johnson. And the year before that it was RVN, Henry and Shearer.

So when your asking for those types of players, remember how difficult it is to produce such a tally. And how few players do it on a regular basis. Only RVN, Henry and Shearer springs to mind.

Very good post. Michael Owen has NEVER managed 20 league goals in one season.

More living in cloud cuckoo land.

Signings that have to made today, tomorrow won't do.

Players who have never been heavy scorers at this level suddenly producing shitloads of goals presumably entirely due to our collective willpower or faith.

Why?