Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our team is a team for place 11...maybe top ten...but to go into Europe there has to be a huge investment now because other teams that are ahead of us or has had a disappointing season will get better.

Newcastle will get much better with Allardyce...

Manchester City will get better when the new ownership is done and Ranieri steps in...

Everton, Tottenham, Portsmouth and West Ham will be up there...

Blackburn feels a little bit difficult to decide on how they will go...

Reading and Bolton will take a dip...

First of all our side was 11th this year yes, we started out with a team which was headed for relegation (apparently) started well and were hard to beat, the players ran out of steam, then lost a lot of confidence, and we had no back up to throw in there and shake things up, causing an awful slump, In january we added quality, and improved the team no end.

after which we improved our form slightly before going on a 9 match unbeaten run, we were draw kings, it doesn't take much to turn those draws into wins, and those loses into draws.... remember not having a goal keeper at the club??? that doesn't help....

Now onto the teams in and around us.....

Newcastle will get much better with Allardyce... - they may get better but ok, they will be harder to beat, my geordie mate doesn't think they will, the whole club needs the shake up we had when Randy took over..... its in the offing, but its still not gone through and sheppard is dragging his heels apparently.. Newcastle have payed massive wages in the past to get the players they want but they haven't been that successful so are on a level i feel with ourselves in trying to aquire players. To be honest i think it's a toss up between the two clubs.

Manchester City will get better when the new ownership is done and Ranieri steps in... WHY?! i live in manchester, i had the pleasure of going there to see us turn them over, the only polayer with any passion, is leaving the shite hole. and the only other player with any ability was Ireland, and he's still far from the finished article, they MAY get money, but why do players choose them over us? i can't think of one reaseon?

Everton, - No money FACT, my best friend works for them and is pissed off that they can't break the big four because they don't have the money to sign the best players.... Fernades (Spelling) worth every penny of 10 mil apparently, but they ain't got the cash to throw 10 mill on one player

Tottenham - close to breaking top 4 and if they invest again this year you never know....

Portsmouth - Muntari club record signing i hear, seen him on FM, but that means nothing in real life, seen him in the world cup, looked good, they've signed a good player.... we'll see if they can sustain it, but i don't feel they hold anything over villa in regards attacting players...

West Ham will be up there... Why? they were a joke last year, Tevez will not be with them, they have ashton coming back, and even though NRC is still there, Ashton is the only player i'd take. also rans....

Blackburn feels a little bit difficult to decide on how they will go... they got lucky with McCarthy, will he still be there come august, maybe but i doubt it. they have a shit ground, and shit fans, the training facilities aren't anything on BH, if its between us and them, we win.

Reading and Bolton - tough ones could go either way.... i imagine Reading will have a tougher time this year, and bolton might not be the team they once were, but again you never know.

but to get to my point, only to my knowledge Portsmouth have actually signed any one from the above teams.... so why are we worried that the player pool we are looking at is getting smaller. Newcastle have bid 8.5 for parker, he's talking to them, who cares, Young was allowed to talk to Spammers in Jan, where did he end up? personally i'd prefer not to take parker, as my geordie Season ticket holder friend thinks he's useless, he wants barton - so what does that tell you....?

Philipp Lahm would be a fantastic signing.He has a strong shot on him and is good going forward.If he comes Bouma would probly end up on the bench but that's wad a good squad does and if we want strength in depth that will have to happen.

OS rumour site linking us with Phillipe Lahm, probably a relation of Philip Lahm. What source was that?

I would have kittens if we got Lahm, no way he'd come to us though.

He is a left back and that is one of our strongest positions with Bouma imo. I know that Lahm is right footed but he likes to cut in from the left so although he is a superb footballer I would look to spend his considerable transfer fee elsewhere.

I dont understand why people not worry.

Teams that were placed around us in the table and above are investing in good players and every player I´ve seen so far will improve their teams. If we invest the same then it will be all on luck if we´re going to fight for Europe next season.

Our team is a team for place 11...maybe top ten...but to go into Europe there has to be a huge investment now because other teams that are ahead of us or has had a disappointing season will get better.

Newcastle will get much better with Allardyce...

Manchester City will get better when the new ownership is done and Ranieri steps in...

Everton, Tottenham, Portsmouth and West Ham will be up there...

Blackburn feels a little bit difficult to decide on how they will go...

Reading and Bolton will take a dip...

It will take more than the type of players like Taylor and Naismith to make us serious contenders for Europe next season and that is exactly why I worry. Do we have the chance on getting players we need to close in the gap? Do we have the finance to make such a huge jump on the ladder?

Everyone seems to think that we will be the winners when the transfer market closes...there are a whole world out there looking for players...and there are not endless amount of players that would suit us or MON.

MON might have something up his sleeve, but what happens if he misses out on his main targets and players like Parker has already slipped us by?

There is no safety belt for this ride and we might end up as the transfer markets losers even though we have MON and Lerner. I dont doubt that they have the skill to do things right for the club...not at all...but it is not an easy job to make Villa run riot in the league again...especially not having Europe as a bait to lure high profile players for next season.

I´m not complaining about MON or Lerner but as a supporter to the club I cant be blind and not count in the reality that comes with this world of football.

People say that we got Young and Carew in the end of january and we had been moaning through the middle of january that we havent signed anyone yet...well...Young was MON´s doing...but was Carew really MON´s deal or was it Houllier´s? :winkold:

I am quite sure that Houllier wanted Baros and he used Carew as bait...it was a great deal for us and I am happy for it...but can we be certain that this was a deal that we can give 100% credit to MON?

I want to discuss things like this so please try to keep a respectful discussion level.

your worry seems to be based on only 2 things: us not being linked with high-profile enough players in tabloid newspapers and other clubs signing players that you would like (but o'neill may have no interest in). we haven't missed out on parker, distin or whoever if we never tried to sign them.

it's completely reasonable to point to ashley young as an example of why not to worry. the board was prepared to fund £8m or so on an up-and-coming player and outcompete teams around us - west ham, spurs. there has been absolutely nothing so far to suggest we can't do the same this summer for the targets o'neill has chosen - which, lest we forget, none of us know the identify of. obviously there's no guarantees in football. deals may fall through for reasons beyond our control, but so it goes. it's the same for every club. i'd still rather be waiting to try and sign first choices than going for second or third choices now, even if that may mean having to make a couple of rushed deadline-day deals if the first choice falls through.

with the point about the carew deal, whether or not o'neill instigated the deal, the result was good so it's entirely a positive as far as o'neill's transfer credentials go. he wouldn't have sold baros without signing a striker and he decided exchanging him for carew would improve the team, and it did. that strongly suggests to me he knows what he's doing with this team.

To all the panickers. Just so you know, I'm going to sit here and have a good laugh at your expense.

I'm with you. Some people have become quivering wrecks and it is laughable!

Yes and no Rocafella. They're going through a bit of a crisis. They've no CL football next season and are a crumbling power who have just lost their best midfielder, Hargreaves, after losing their best midfielder last season, Ballack.

I'm sure they'll bounce back, but if you're gonna nick players from them, now is a good time.

Having said all that, I don't expect us to get Lahm.

Phillip Lahm plays for Bayern München non?

For a German that is not about Europe and Champions League, it's almost a religion isn't it

Exactly!

Mazrim wrote:

To all the panickers. Just so you know, I'm going to sit here and have a good laugh at your expense.

I'm with you. Some people have become quivering wrecks and it is laughable!

Imagine what they'll be like when the Window actually opens! :bang:

:crylaugh::crylaugh:

Lahm also plays regularly at right back. He'd be first choice right back and cover for left back too. Would be, quite frankly, a fantastic signing.

but isn't he left footed?Either way he looks a quality player.

Lahm also plays regularly at right back. He'd be first choice right back and cover for left back too. Would be, quite frankly, a fantastic signing.

but isn't he left footed?Either way he looks a quality player.

He plays left back but is right footed IIRC.

OS rumour site linking us with Phillipe Lahm, probably a relation of Philip Lahm. What source was that?

I would have kittens if we got Lahm, no way he'd come to us though.

He is a left back and that is one of our strongest positions with Bouma imo. I know that Lahm is right footed but he likes to cut in from the left so although he is a superb footballer I would look to spend his considerable transfer fee elsewhere.

Lahm is a quality player and would walk into our right back position, which is a form of movement beyond Mark De La Ney at the moment.

However, he is quite literally world class and we'd pay through the nose for him.

Plus, he's a typical Bayerische Junge. He won't leave Bayern unless he thinks they won't be Champions next year. Which they will.