Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

I'd be very happy with Taylor's signing.

It's a signla of intent imo. He is probably the best English left back around and has been a consitent performer for Pompey this season (or so it seems, can't say I've watched many Pompey games).

Taylor is defintely a top class signing and a damn sight better than Samuel who has just left.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We may face competition for him

With the word on the street being Aston Villa’s talks with Portsmouth’s Matthew Taylor, it’s unlikely that they’ll be the sole club in for the left sided player before long. The lad has shown an ability to play left back, left midfield, and provide a strong attacking threat. His defending, as with any such player, is not his outstanding attribute but he doesn’t really put in the kind of calamitous performances that the likes of Titus Bramble or other truly shocking defenders are known for. Solid, is probably the best word.

So who is best placed to woo him?

The Big Four are unlikely to step in. Chelsea and Manchester United have an abundance of left backs, Liverpool might step in to give John Arne Riise some competition as the club’s marauding left sided player and Arsenal probably won’t want to pay the inflated “British Player Price Tag ™†to get him.

Tottenham, Everton and Newcastle are the clubs most often linked with Taylor, and if he decides to leave Portsmouth it’s a safe bet he’ll land at one of them.

While Aston Villa finished mid-table, there’s no doubting that Martin O’Neill will have his lads performing even better next season and - with an alleged 30 million pound transfer kitty - should have plenty more talent by the time the new Premiership season starts. Newcastle were utter toss but with Big Sam at the helm and another bout of “Big Club†spending this summer there’s every reason to pick them to do well next season. Everton are the least glamorous option due to lack of spectacular managerial change or big name financier, yet arguably the safest. They’ve been consistent and have a strong first eleven, with a few decent signings (more Arteta’s and Cahill’s, less Beattie’s) should again be comfortably in the UEFA spots. Tottenham have apparently secured Gareth Bale’s signature but with Taylor could push either player into midfield and have the most disorganised left side in the history of football. If Matty likes his football free flowing and completely lacking in defensive responsibilities, he could do worse than Spurs.

Portsmouth will have UEFA cup goals in their eyes again for next year, and Harry will be doing everything he can to keep Taylor, but if he does leave then which club would suit ol’ Mattsy best?

Were you watching the same games as me? Not saying Petrov and Berger didn't play well, but without Barry we would have been very close to relegation this season. BOF wasn't talking about goals, he was talking about overall performance.

I'm not sure, if you saw this "superstar" some fans seem to think he is then probably not. :roll:

Broken record Cyber. We all know you hate Barry, but he's clearly better than Taylor. Give it a rest will you. Let's get back on topic and not ruin another thread.

Hate? :shock: , nope i simply don't RATE him as highly as others do, that's MY OPINION though, i simply want a better quality of player in the middle of the park, like Fernandes, Toure, Van der Veert ect as imo all are better than Barry there, i don't have any problem with Barry staying out on the left if there's no-one better we can bring in, it's all up to Mon at the end of the day.

I'd take Taylor definitely... but my expectations are pretty high this summer... I have a feeling i'm going to be disappointed, but all this Sneijder and van der Vaart talk has got my head in the clouds.

I think we may well get 1 or 2 huge signings, complimented by 2 or 3 solid signings - which is what I think Taylor would represent.

There will be stiff competition for him though, as the above article posted by Richard states. But with a bit of luck this is where our ambition, manager, and new training ground can outdo our competitors.

Jesus, how anti-Villa was that ? Not even a mention of why we would suit him.

Tottenham, Everton and Newcastle are the clubs most often linked with Taylor, and if he decides to leave Portsmouth it’s a safe bet he’ll land at one of them.

Bullsh1t.

Jesus, how anti-Villa was that ? Not even a mention of why we would suit him.

Bullsh1t.

I know, tell me about it.

These Taylor out rumours are expanding quickly though.

Think we'll get him. Be a great signing IMO for the right amount of money.

Left back, Left mid sided player. A good squad player to have and he will improve us.

Expect to see a few sort of Matt Taylor players coming in for £5m plus, and we'll truly benefit from it too.

Quite excited about this.

:)

Were you watching the same games as me? Not saying Petrov and Berger didn't play well, but without Barry we would have been very close to relegation this season. BOF wasn't talking about goals, he was talking about overall performance.

I'm not sure, if you saw this "superstar" some fans seem to think he is then probably not. :roll:

Broken record Cyber. We all know you hate Barry, but he's clearly better than Taylor. Give it a rest will you. Let's get back on topic and not ruin another thread.

Hate? :shock: , nope i simply don't RATE him as highly as others do, that's MY OPINION though, i simply want a better quality of player in the middle of the park, like Fernandes, Toure, Van der Veert ect as imo all are better than Barry there, i don't have any problem with Barry staying out on the left if there's no-one better we can bring in, it's all up to Mon at the end of the day.

He doesnt rate Barry just like I dont rate Luke Moore, just opinions

Is CyberVillan Steve McLaren in discuise?!? 8)

Haha, nah, you're entitled to your opinion, of course you are.

But I think you're wrong :P

Gareth Barry was FANTASTIC for us in the middle.

I still think we'll be in for Barton now, (I think everyone is waiting for the outcome of the Dabo situation, he could actually end up prison couldn't he?!), I think this because if we are after Taylor for £5m, Barton is available for £5m.

MON is filling his squad with proven Prem quality and is getting very good players at good prices. The arrival of Barton and Taylor would make our midfield battle very interesting indeed.

Still think we need an attacking Midfielder too, but I think MON believes Petrov is the man for this role, and I do too.Too many times this season he had to sit deep. We saw on his debut against West Ham, when he is allowed to express himself, he flippin well can. Having said that, wouldn't mind Sneijder! :P

can't say Taylor comes under the banner of "exciting"

I thought we were moving up to the next level and i'm not sure Taylor would take us there ...

I believe we'll sign bellamy,taylor and barton.This would improve the overall quality of our squad and it wouldn't cost us an arm and a leg too(i think).Would like defoe too actually.Can't wait to see who our big name signings will be though.

I thought we were moving up to the next level and i'm not sure Taylor would take us there ...

I agree.

Reasonable player but hardly exciting.

Bellamy, Taylor and Barton would SIGNIFICANTLY improve our squad.

I hear from my scouse mates that Liverpool have apparantly wrapped up the deal for Fernando Torres for £27m.

I'll bet anyone here that if we sign Bellamy for £6m, he'll score more in the Prem than Torres!

Bellamy has shown at Blackburn and Newcastle that he can score goals. He hasn't been allowed to express himself at Anfield, and their boring style of play does not suit him whatsoever.

Hopefully we are on the way to the 'next level' - but not all our aquisitions can be of that status.

Some are going to have to be solid signings. Taylor is better than we have at the club already in that he is an established Premiership midfielder.

When the going gets tough you need players like that to keep there heads.

I think it would be a great signing.

Jez's comment coupled with the fact that he is Pompey through and through AND they are on the up suggests that he is not too desperate to leave.

He's far from pompey through and through. Hes from Oxford, they signed him from Luton. They train on a school ffs why is it so hard to believe he'd want to leave there.