Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

just read that Steven Taylor at Newcastle is unhappy

Where did you get this DAH? Wouldn't mind winding up a few Geordie colleagues who have been singing Taylor's praises this morning. FWIW I don't rate him.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just reading the rumour section on skysports.com, someone is saying Jaaskelainen is on his way to Villa! Would love that to happen but it is one of those "My neighbour's finacee's son's and 3rd uncle's dog told me that..." so it is about as reliable as the labour party.

Villa keep one eye Sidwell Fri, 18 May 2007 13:41

Aston Villa have been alerted to the news that Steve Sidwell's switch to Chelsea appears to be in doubt.

Sidwell, who left Reading earlier in the week was expected to tie up his £50,000 a week switch to Stamford Bridge before the FA Cup Final, but there is a problem as Chelsea want him to sign on for four years while the midfielder only wants to commit himself to two years.

The former Arsenal trainee does not want to find himself out of the first-team picture and faced with the prospect of having to rot away in the reserves.

Sidwell does have other options however with Villa, Newcastle United, Celtic and Rangers all waiting in the wings if the deal with Chelsea falls through.

From the ever un-reliable eatsleepsport.com

Boruc

Jagielka

Distin

Sidwell

Bent

Plus one other?

Ill tell you, I would be happy if that was the list. All of those would significantly improve the squad.

Jagielka or luke young though? hmmm. Plus there was that portuguese left back people are saying we are after.

Yes I do.

But would you rather have 5 £10M signings or 10 £5M signings?

Id rather have 3 £10m and 4 £5m. But even then I look at newcastle and just hope we dontturn into them. Dont worry I dont think we will, but look at the top class (champions league) player that have gone up there.

Owen

Luque

Martins

Duff

Emre

Parker

And they're still shit. :winkold:

Have you noticed that 4 of them are midgets and the other two believe that football should be a non contact sport!

have you noticed that none of them are a replacement for titus bramble, could be the problem me thinks.

Sidwell is an athlete with a good attitude and reasonable technique, but who would he replace? Barry is better on the ball and Gardner will score more goals from centre midfield. Petrov could be excellent for us if he settles and gets really fit in the same way that Bouma did.

So is Sidwell good enough, or should we be looking even higher?

have you noticed that none of them are a replacement for titus bramble, could be the problem me thinks.

How do you replace a titan like titus.

Villa, Newcastle United, Celtic and Rangers

Fancy us over all of those clubs to be honest. He would be a tasty signing.

He would!

Anyone else think the Chavskis cunning plan involves signing up as many of the top players as rot in the reserves squad additions.... JUST so they don't go and play for the competition??!!!..

As far as i'm concerned we only need three players,

A fast goalscoring striker - Defoe/Bellamy/Bent.

A proper center mid, a hard bastard - Sidwell/Barton/Parker

And a right back - Jagielka/Young.

All the other players we will sign are just improvements on what we have. And I trust MON to make quality signings to push the current first team players out.

Sidwell is an athlete with a good attitude and reasonable technique, but who would he replace? Barry is better on the ball and Gardner will score more goals from centre midfield. Petrov could be excellent for us if he settles and gets really fit in the same way that Bouma did.

So is Sidwell good enough, or should we be looking even higher?

I think Sidwell is better than Gardner right now. He needs a bit of time yet IMHO. Besides it's choice isn't it, maybe on those tricky trips away to top sides, maybe you want to put an intrinsically more defensive team out, or against yer physical bolton-type teams, you want your more solid players on. As far as I am concerned, as long as he differs with regard to the style of player we already have, and he is of similar quality he would only be an asset.

Jagielka added bonus he can play in goal if needed

Sidwell - be cool if we got him!

Undecided about Striker - Maybe MON to spring another Carew surprise and I'm sure we'd be delighted!

Anyone else think the Chavskis cunning plan involves signing up as many of the top players as rot in the reserves squad additions.... JUST so they don't go and play for the competition??!!!..

True! I think above average premiership players are gonna start seeing a move to chelski for what it is soon though- professional suicide.

True! I think above average premiership players are gonna start seeing a move to Chelsea for what it is soon though- professional suicide.

Milan did this all the time in the early 90's. Used Burlesconi's money to buy players just because their rivals wanted them.

You are an up and coming player, not yet in the england squad, but on the periphery, courted by lots of teams whose squad you would improve- would you sign for a team who has 3 full internationals in your position already? He would have to be mad, greedy or stupidly optimistic to sign for the 'ski.

True! I think above average premiership players are gonna start seeing a move to Chelsea for what it is soon though- professional suicide.

Chelsea need cover more than most teams due to the number of games they play and Sidwell wouldn't let them down on the occasions they called on him, but imo he would do well to talk to the likes of Scott Parker and SWP whose careers have been affected by their decision to sign for Chelsea.