Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

TBH it doesn't leave much room for petrov

I don't think he has been anywhere - ANYWHERE - near as bad as some people have made out.

But he has work to do if he is going to be up to standard next season; and although he went some way to doing that once partnered with Barry, if he is to be replaced, so be it. That said, it should just be more about a case of competition, and no-oneshould be 'replaced' in my vision of Villa, unless they are leaving the club.

What we need, IMO, is competition for places over the entire park, whether it be Petrov, Sorenson, Mellberg, Carew or even Captain Barry - no-one in the team should be in the comfort zone that too many of our payers have in recent years.

Absolutely right, and I'm sure that is exactly what Mon will achieve.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he has been anywhere - ANYWHERE - near as bad as some people have made out.

i agree, i'm a fan of petrov.

But i think barry will be first choice in centre mid and althought i think petrov did an ok job in the holding role i don't think thats his strength so i think MON will bring in someone of real quality to play that position.

TBH it doesn't leave much room for petrov

But he has work to do if he is going to be up to standard next season; and although he went some way to doing that once partnered with Barry, if he is to be replaced, so be it. That said, it should just be more about a case of competition, and no-oneshould be 'replaced' in my vision of Villa, unless they are leaving the club.

What we need, IMO, is competition for places over the entire park, whether it be Petrov, Sorenson, Mellberg, Carew or even Captain Barry - no-one in the team should be in the comfort zone that too many of our payers have in recent years.

Absolutely right, and I'm sure that is exactly what Mon will achieve.

Totally agree that feeling comfortable in a position is never good for a player. You always nedd someone to push you to develop yourself and always have the feeling that you have to your absolute best to keep your place in the team.

Somebody on the Ic Brum forum is claiming the Defoe deal is done, don't know if he's reliable in any way it it's probably BS. Just thought i'd post it here.

No smoke without fire...

I'd say that that could just as easily be dry-ice.

Somebody on the Ic Brum forum is claiming the Defoe deal is done, don't know if he's reliable in any way it it's probably BS. Just thought i'd post it here.
I hope we don't sign Defoe as I think that he duplicates what we already have. I would rather we sign a quality number 9 who could give Carew some competition and cover.

the holding role

Most teams that play 4-4-2 don't have a designated holding player. I watched Gardner & Barry very closely in the last two games & both of them switched between defence & attack at will depending on where the other one was, much like the way Sidwell & Harper did for Reading. Gardner, Barry & Petrov have attacking & defensive qualities, unlike McCann & Davis who have either one or the other.

It's about alternatives and different roles you know, you don't attack the same way away to Chelsea as home to Watford or Sheffield United. Some players never rest and some grow accustomed to their positions because no-one is there to compete for places, thus never reaching their peaks etc.

the holding role

Most teams that play 4-4-2 don't have a designated holding player. I watched Gardner & Barry very closely in the last two games & both of them switched between defence & attack at will depending on where the other one was, much like the way Sidwell & Harper did for Reading. Gardner, Barry & Petrov have attacking & defensive qualities, unlike McCann & Davis who have either one or the other.

You're right Fernando Sidwell and Harper were key to Readings good season, and the instinctive positional play (revolving triangle) of Barry, Petrov and Gardner was very encouraging when they played together.

If O'neill signs defoe its because he doesnt always intend to play the carew way. If we turn up at pompey say, we'd wanna play the quick mobile strikers against campbell and primus (remember the VP fixture last month) Defoe is nothing like Moore nor Gabby as people are suggesting, in fact the only thing they have in common is pace. Defoe is a very direct, clinical finisher who will literally shoot from anywhere and if we sign him we'll have a great mix in our striking four. Carew power, strength with good feet. Great at getting the ball down and laying it off. Gabby, pure pace, unpredictable almost unplayable for most defenders, Moore the more traditional striker, sufficient pace, great movement. Plus defoes as mentioned above. Different options no matter which two from 4. I find it unlikely that if Carew gets injured or dropped O'neill will want to simply plonk in a like for like (only not as good) striker and play exactly the same way. It would make us predictable. Carew for the games like Man U and spurs and arsenal, to bully ferdinand etc and pace and movement for the games like Pompey, everton etc where the defenders are less mobile.

Someone on VT Forum says were going to sign Defoe!

1 forum another forum means diddle squat!

If Spurs are selling Defoe it means they have tied up Bent, no way would they sell him unless they had a replacement.

If O'neill signs defoe its because he doesnt always intend to play the carew way. If we turn up at pompey say, we'd wanna play the quick mobile strikers against campbell and primus (remember the VP fixture last month) Defoe is nothing like Moore nor Gabby as people are suggesting, in fact the only thing they have in common is pace. Defoe is a very direct, clinical finisher who will literally shoot from anywhere and if we sign him we'll have a great mix in our striking four. Carew power, strength with good feet. Great at getting the ball down and laying it off. Gabby, pure pace, unpredictable almost unplayable for most defenders, Moore the more traditional striker, sufficient pace, great movement. Plus defoes as mentioned above. Different options no matter which two from 4. I find it unlikely that if Carew gets injured or dropped O'neill will want to simply plonk in a like for like (only not as good) striker and play exactly the same way. It would make us predictable. Carew for the games like Man U and spurs and arsenal, to bully ferdinand etc and pace and movement for the games like Pompey, everton etc where the defenders are less mobile.
Hypothetically what happens if Carew breaks a leg first week of september and our striker options are Defoe, Agbonlahor, Moore, Ashley Young and Maloney?