Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quaresma is a light version of Ronaldo, even though that doesn't have to a bad thing. I have heard they are supposed to be pretty good mates, you can see they do much of the same footwork (heelclicks etc).

I would rather have Simao though. He seems more down to earth and has a killer free-kick as well as corners. He is the kind of player who scores 5-6 goals a year on FK as well as swinging in numerous crosses (a bit of the Becks mould).

He would much more relish a move to the bigger clubs such as Liverpool and Sevilla I would imagine, but for some reason a move has never materialised. I don't think we have a shot at all, but stranger things have happened. I mean, West Ham got Mascherano and Tevez.

Money talks to be honest, if you offer players the cash, they will come simple.

Up to a point, there are other things such as the opportunity for European football.

Money talks to be honest, if you offer players the cash, they will come simple.

it is to an extent

but how much do you have to offer?

we aren't going to be offering players a 80 - 100k a week

and i can't see someone like queresma or anderson sacrifising there careers to play some mid table football alongside a majority of players who aren't half as good, with the main short term goal to play in a european competition which is a minor one to the one they are already playing in - the champions league

if a player like queresma became available we would be in the queue behind a team from france, 3 teams from germany, 4 from italy, 4 or 5 from england and about 4 from spain and probably a dutch team, and even if we were the only team who wanted him im sure he'd prefer to play for porto than us.

the signings i expect us to make in pre season are not world beaters, but players who are better than what we currently have and will help us challenge for europe rather than mid table, and sidwell fits that bill.

exactly. well put..

will be very sad if mon isnt in for bent in the summer, 12-14 mill and we'd have our top 20 goal a year striker for the next 4-5 years if not more...

Cisse would be a very cheap and good signing in my eyes...

Reo-coker seems the most 'gettable' midfielder for us so I'd have him....

A defender and another midfielder and ill be happy....

I don't know who it'll be but I would be astounded if we bought a "foreign" central midfielder.

Look what he has done up front - Celtic - Hartson, Leics - Heskey, Villa - Carew

Now look at his past central midfielders - Celtic - Neil Lennon, Leics Gobby Cabbage (and I hate to admit it - but what I wouldn't give for a prime Gobby in our side - just what we lack).

Whether it is Sidwell / Reo Coker or another - I fully expect us to buy one of these types and not someone from abroad.

I don't know who it'll be but I would be astounded if we bought a "foreign" central midfielder.

Look what he has done up front - Celtic - Hartson, Leics - Heskey, Villa - Carew

Now look at his past central midfielders - Celtic - Neil Lennon, Leics Gobby Cabbage (and I hate to admit it - but what I wouldn't give for a prime Gobby in our side - just what we lack).

Whether it is Sidwell / Reo Coker or another - I fully expect us to buy one of these types and not someone from abroad.

In all his time at Celtic I think MON bought one player from abroad - and he saw him by accident while scouting another UK player on a video. I can see him buying almost exclusively from the Premier League and Championship, maybe the odd SPL player. I think Carew was a player he would have taken to Celtic had we had the money at the time.

Rocafella - Celtic got to a UEFA cup final and regularly competed in the Champions League beating the likes of Barcelona and Juventus along the way, so please don't underestimate what he did at Celtic.

Rosenborg beat Milan at San Siro, as well beating Real Madrid at home. I take that as amazing one-time results, luck and under estimation.

Same with Celtic. Over the long run they would never go on to do anything.

You should look up Celtic's record in Europe on Wikipedia or something, rather than continually making an arse of yourself. :lol:

Rosenborg beat Milan at San Siro, as well beating Real Madrid at home. I take that as amazing one-time results, luck and under estimation.

Same with Celtic. Over the long run they would never go on to do anything.

You should look up Celtic's record in Europe on Wikipedia or something, rather than continually making an arse of yourself. :lol:

:notworthy:

When did Rosenborg get to a Uefa Cup final Rocafella? And you can't belittle it that season becaused that Porto team won the lot.

Celtic have always been a big club but MO'N put the life back in the club that hadn't been there since Jock Stein.

Rosenborg did in fact get to the quarter final in CL league, which we have never done. Have Celtic? They might have, but its far harder getting to the quarter final in CL then the UEFA cup final.

Rosenborg did in fact get to the quarter final in CL league, which we have never done. Have Celtic? They might have, but its far harder getting to the quarter final in CL then the UEFA cup final.

I'm not sure that it is.

Rosenborg had to beat Gothenburg twice and Milan once to qualify to qualify for the quarter finals, and were given the luxury of getting another hammering off Milan and losing twice to Porto and still going through, before going out tamely to Juventus.

Celtic had to beat Boavista, Liverpool, Stuttgart, Celta Vigo and Blackburn for their run to the final. I know which I'd rather have.

ok, so 30 million plus sales

OUTS (clear out the dead wood)

Sutton - Free

Angel - 2m

Beger - Free

Hendrie - Free

DJDJ - 0.5m

Delaney - Free

Samuel - Free

Hughes - 1m

Taylor - 1m

=34.5 million

INS

Boruc - 4m

Bardsley - 2m

Disitn - Free

L.Young - 4m

Barton - 5.5m

SWP - 9.5m

That leaves 9.5m for a goalscorer, and I'm sure Randy would give us a few more quid if a truly top class striker came along.

Would also consider sidwell on a free if Petrov shows nothing before the end of the season and we need more competition in centre midfield. Also Saviola on a free would be a good shout on a two year contract if we struggle to get a top striker or want to send agbonlahor or moore on loan.

ok, so 30 million plus sales

OUTS (clear out the dead wood)

Sutton - Free

Angel - 2m

Beger - Free

Hendrie - Free

DJDJ - 0.5m

Delaney - Free

Samuel - Free

Hughes - 1m

Taylor - 1m

=34.5 million

INS

Boruc - 4m

Bardsley - 2m

Disitn - Free

L.Young - 4m

Barton - 5.5m

SWP - 9.5m

That leaves 9.5m for a goalscorer, and I'm sure Randy would give us a few more quid if a truly top class striker came along.

Would also consider sidwell on a free if Petrov shows nothing before the end of the season and we need more competition in centre midfield. Also Saviola on a free would be a good shout on a two year contract if we struggle to get a top striker or want to send agbonlahor or moore on loan.

Can live with that list, except for that I'd like us to go for a better RB than Bardsley as it is now. He's decent, yes, but I think we could do better. And considering the talks on here Boruc would come for no less than £6m. But apart from that, yes, seems good as the next step.