2013 Baseball Predictions and General Chat

maqroll

Passion returns to Fenway (aka: the pink hat brigade has disappeared!)

Since about 2008, theres been something missing at Fenway Park. In 2008, the Red Sox had just won their second World Series in 4 seasons, and the park was infested with pink hats, and very casual fans who were there just to say they were there. 2008 wasn’t the first the time these people were there, as they’ve been at Fenway since 2005, when it became to “cool” to see a Red Sox game.

If you went to a Red Sox-Yankees game at Fenway between 2008 and 2012, everything was pretty tame. Besides the games lasting about 5 hours, a Yankees series was really no different than a series against the Kansas City Royals. Yankee fans were walking around Fenway with very little, or no harassment.

Before 2005, if somebody was in Fenway wearing a Yankees hat, they would hear it from people in the crowd. If you went to a Red Sox-Yankees game, you knew there would be at least one “Yankees Suck” chant during the game, and usually you would witness a fight break out. It was the good ol’ days of Fenway.

Just last month, BST&N writer, Erik Venskus wrote a wakeup call to Red Sox nation, criticizing how lackluster fans have become, and how they were just letting other fan bases take over Fenway. I couldn’t have agreed more with these statements as I saw the same things happening all of this season.

Then the Yankees came to town last weekend. As always Fenway was littered with Yankees fans (something that has always occurred and can’t be stopped), Red Sox fans stepped up and let the fans of the Evil Empire know where they were. Red Sox fans for the first time in a long time got loud.

Throughout the game on Sunday night, when some asshole Yankee fan would try to start a “Let’s go Yankees” cheer going, they were quickly booed out, and a “Yankees Suck” chant started. This occurred many times during Sunday night’s game, and it truly felt like Fenway, something that I haven’t witnessed in a long time.

I’m not condoning be an asshat to every fan of an opposing team, but as a fan it’s your job to make sure your louder than your opponent. Sitting in front of me on Sunday was a group of Yankees fans, and behind me was a Yankees fan with his girlfriend, a Red Sox fan. The Yankee fan behind me was booing the Red Sox very loud when the lineups were announced so I knew what I had to do. I got louder than he was. I also made a comment to the person I was talking to that “Yankees fans are scum of the earth.”

Do I really think Yankees fans are the scum of the earth? No. But I said it to make a point and it worked. I’ve said more offensive things to Yankees fans before, and I probably will again. I didn’t really hear much from the fan behind me after that, and being a true Yankees fan, he left in the 4th inning after the Red Sox took a 3-run lead.

You may think I’m wrong for possibly making a fan feel “uncomfortable” at friendly Fenway, but if that’s how you feel, you’ve clearly never been to New York. Besides I didn’t swear or get in anybody’s face. If you go to an opposing team’s stadium and that’s the worst that happens to you, then things aren’t so bad.

It may have taken a few terrible seasons of play, but finally Fenway Park feels like it did when I was a kid. There are still pink hats, and always will be, but as long as the true passionate fans are there to step up, everything will be right in Red Sox Nation.

• Like 1

4 hit, 2 HR, 5 RBI day for Dan Murphy! Love these early games so I can watch them and relax! IKE WITH A BOMB! 6 runs in the 9th! 11-0 Mets, what a game to watch!

A monster win + Harvey going in the late game, could help us catch ground on finishing 2nd in the East!

and the Mets beat the Mets again. Harvey 8 innings, gives up 0 earned runs and doesn't get the W. That's now 10 games of given up 3 or less runs over 6+ innings and not getting the W. Basically cost him the Cy.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Both HR's off Zimmerman, who has been knocked around two outings in a row now to start the 2nd half. 

Nationals are kind of a joke.

Of course they then smashed us! Mets are the most annoying team in baseball, at least it's easier to take now the Phillies have silly amounts of money tied up in finished players and are no-hopes for the playoffs. :)

What exactly happened in that video for Ortiz to react like that!?

So the Biogenesis suspensions come down today... it's going to be entertaining as hell seeing the fight between A-Rod and MLB and the Yankees (who are trying desperately to get out of his contract).

Oh no, the Yankees have lose their best player!

:D

Ehm, no :)

I was hoping for a lifetime ban but will settle for 2014 to reset the lux tax.

Michelsen!

Been a while, buddy

Edited by maqroll

Â