2013 Baseball Predictions and General Chat

maqroll

You shouldn't underestimate Niese as well, very good young pitcher. If your front office can make a good trade or two, who knows what the Mets might be able to do in the next couple of years?

If this "We can have a $140m payroll" isn't bullshit then we could certainly be a .500 team at least. I think Santana's contract us up at the end of the year so that leaves us with pretty much only having David Wright on a big money long term deal.

That A-Rod stat is hilarious. Though one thing that concerns mear, is there no minimum spend rule? It sounds like the Astros owners must pocket most of the money they get!

Owners can do whatever they want, just look at Miami, total farce

Yep, Braves crushed them without being anywhere near their best and without so much as a whimper.

It may be mentally taxing being in this relegation fight, but as my baggies supporting mate tells me, being mid table with **** all left to fight for is dull as dishwater. It's something we don't often face as Villa fans, we're normally either battling for sixth or sixteenth. Imagine being a fan, or even a player, of a club like the Marlins right now, knowing you're probably going to lose 120 games but with no real sense of threat, nothing to fight for.

It's no wonder they don't turn up. So much for the new dawn.

But hey, what about dem Braves. Outside of J-Up the big guns haven't turned up yet. Yeah I know, Cubs and Marlins, but if you beat up on the little guys and go evens with your peers which the Braves are more than capable of, you're going to win close to a ton.

Great start.

Looking through the Braves numbers is pretty scary. BJ, Uggla and Heyward haven't even turned up yet and you're what, 8-1? Braves-Nationals series are gonna be fun to watch this season. As for beating up on bad teams, I agree with you. This is baseball where evern the best teams lose 60 or so games. Any sweep is a good sweep, even against the bottom feeders.

So it seems the Mets owners may not be complete liars. Apparently we have our eyes on making a trade for someone in the outfield at some point this season. Names being mentioned are Andre Ethier, Giancarlo Stanton and Carlos Gonzales. I would prefer CarGo of the bunch. Marlins want Wheeler which means I'd rather not get Stanton if we could get either of the other 2 without having to give Zack up.

Edited by kurtsimonw

NY Daily News is saying Mets are looking at trading for CarGo and/or Stanton. I'd think the Stanton deal is more realistic. But be prepared to lose 2 or 3 top prospects...

NY Daily News is saying Mets are looking at trading for CarGo and/or Stanton. I'd think the Stanton deal is more realistic. But be prepared to lose 2 or 3 top prospects...

What, exactly, is the point? The Mets won't be in a position to compete with The Braves or The Nationals anytime soon, why burn prospects at this stage of a build? Very odd.

What, exactly, is the point? The Mets won't be in a position to compete with The Braves or The Nationals anytime soon, why burn prospects at this stage of a build? Very odd.

Because we're a different team from even last year. The owners have come out and said all the money issues and things hanging over the team are gone and we can have a payroll of $140m/$150m. When you consider we're at under $90m right and and have $20m+ of Santana coming off the books in the off-season, it gives us a whole lot to work with.

I'd be more than happy to take on CarGo for prospects, then bring in 4/5 very good players through free agency. If the owners aren't bullshitting and we can go back to the kind of payroll we had in 2006 or so, we could literally have as much money to spend in FA than most teams have as an entire payroll. It's a damn good year in terms of free agents as well. Again, this all really depends on whether it's the Wilpons just being all talk again, or that the issues are genuinly gone.

Oh I see. Yeah, throwing that kind of money around in one off season always seems to work. Just ask the Marlins.

Juice Upton blasted another last night, Braves hit 5 (3 in one inning) and Medlan lowered his era to 1.42. Braves beat the Royals 6-3 and are now at, wait for it... 12-1. TWELVE and one. 4.5 game lead already and growing.

I'm almost bored. Almost.

Oh I see. Yeah, throwing that kind of money around in one off season always seems to work. Just ask the Marlins.

Juice Upton blasted another last night, Braves hit 5 (3 in one inning) and Medlan lowered his era to 1.42. Braves beat the Royals 6-3 and are now at, wait for it... 12-1. TWELVE and one. 4.5 game lead already and growing.

I'm almost bored. Almost.

Bringing in a bunch of new players can work though. The Marlins contracts were all backloaded and they didn't intend on spending any real money, was just an attempt to bring fans in and failed, so they were traded away before the contracts got serious. 2009 Yankees spent huge on Sabathia, Burnett, Texiera and Swisher and won it all. Even the Braves this year have 3/8 new faces starting in the field and are doing well. The Mets are basically entirely home grown, so I don't think adding 4/5 players to a 25 man roster will hurt team chemistry in any way. Personally I think it's all bullshit and excuses will be made in the off-season as always!

I was just looking at the Braves numbers and there's one scary thing that stands out to me. The age of the team. Only Uggla is over 28 of all your hitters and Hudson aside, on your pitching staff they're all fairly young too. It's gonna be the 90s Braves all over again, isn't it?

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it will be the Braves of the 90's again. That was a team built on three of the greatest pitchers to have ever lived. That said we've a really good pitching staff, Medlen is the real deal I think and I like Minor as a potential number two going forward. Hudson is a warhorse and Maholm could well be due a career year. Then there's the pen so yeah, not too shabby. No Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz though.

Certainly the best lineup we've had in ten years or so, perhaps ever.

What a game.

Top 6, Mets up 4-1. Bases loaded, 0 outs - Harvey gets out of it without giving up a run. Oh and Davis and Duda get back-to-back HRs... TWICE!

Harvey is just unreal. He made Strasburg look like a joke tonight.

Â