2013 Baseball Predictions and General Chat

maqroll

Not as much as a screwjob as Harvey Haddix

Haddix will always be remembered for taking a perfect game into the 13th inning against the Milwaukee Braves on May 26, 1959. Haddix retired 36 consecutive batters in 12 innings essentially relying on two pitches: fastball and slider. However, his Pittsburgh teammates didn't score, as Braves pitcher Lew Burdette was also pitching a shutout.

A fielding error by Don Hoak ended the perfect game in the bottom of the 13th, with the leadoff batter for Milwaukee, Félix Mantilla, being safe at first base. Mantilla later advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by Eddie Mathews, which was followed by an intentional walk to Hank Aaron. Joe Adcock then hit an apparent home run, ending the no-hitter and the game. However, in the confusion, Aaron left the basepaths and was passed by Adcock for the second out and the Braves won 2-0. Eventually the hit was changed from a home run to a double by a ruling from National League president Warren Giles; only Mantilla's run counted, for a score of 1-0, but the Pirates and Haddix still lost.

Haddix's 12 and 2/3-inning, one-hit complete game, against the team that had just represented the NL in the previous two World Series, is considered by many to be the best pitching performance in major league history. Mazeroski later said of Haddix's dominance in the game, "Usually you have one or two great or spectacular defensive plays in these no-hitters. Not that night. It was the easiest game I ever played in."

After the game, Haddix received many letters of congratulations and support, as well as one from a Texas A&M fraternity which read, in its entirety on university stationery, "Dear Harvey, Tough shit." "It made me mad", recounted Haddix, "until I realized they were right. That's exactly what it was."

In 1991, Major League Baseball changed the definition of a no-hitter to "a game in which a pitcher or pitchers complete a game of nine innings or more without allowing a hit;" the rule's formalization had the effect of proclaiming Adcock's drive singularly fatal to Haddix's no-hit bid, i.e., irrespective of any aspect regarding the score and/or the game's ultimate outcome. Despite having thrown more perfect innings than anyone in a single game, Haddix's game was taken off the list of perfect games. Haddix's response was "It's O.K. I know what I did."

12 inning perfect game and lost!

The good vibes in Boston couldn't last forever...Dan Shaughnessy (Boston Globe writer/shit stirrer) has insinuated that David Ortiz is doping.... :bang:

When the **** is up with the Mets? It seems like we only have a chance of even having a close game when Harvey pitches. Just bring Wheeler up for **** sake, he can not possibly be any worse than the likes of Gee and Hefner at this point.

Not sure why they hate Hamilton, he's hitting a .333.... slugging % :crylaugh:

Edited by kurtsimonw

• 2 weeks later...

After starting out 12-1 my Braves are below .500 since then (10 games above now).

Still the fifth best record in the majors and on a 6-0 run. They're too streaky to win 100 like I earlier predicted, but it's a frankly astonishing record when you consider how few of our big bats have turned up as yet. Heyward, J-Up and of course Uggla all scraping the barrel.

Evan Gattis though bro, he definitely lifts. What a story.

Dodgers are a total calamity, kind of predictable, really. 

The two ball clubs predicted to be contenders have flopped big time thus far (LAD, Toronto)

The Nationals offense is REALLY pissing me off. I've got Gio and Zimmerman on my $100 league team, and they (the batters) leave me high and dry way too often. Expansion assholes.

Edited by maqroll

Wow.

And yeah, those pesky Gnats are really sucking ass right now. The Braves have stuttered a bit, we're on course for 100 wins to be fair but we've not really clicked as yet and you'd expect some kind of fight. The Nationals are 29-29, 7 games back. Few injuries as well right now, we could win this division at a canter.

I'm not complaining as such!

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Harvey is almost embarrassingly good. The Mets lineup is basically on par with most teams triple-A teams. Yet if Harvey's pitching, it's nearly impossible to lose, no matter how good the opposition.

How ridiculous would it be if the Mets won back-to-back Cy Young awards as a sub-500 team!?

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

So Harvey has a magnificent performance yet again - only slight knocked down by MLBs inability to sore a game properly, clear error by Wright not recorded.

Now in the 7th inning and Wheeler has yet to give up a run in the 2nd game of a doubleheader. It's not like we're playing a bad team, this is at Turner where we're notoriously bad. If these guys are a future 1-2 with Niese at 3, that's going to be something!

Â