The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Have you tried EZDrummer

I’ve not, is it similar to the Logic Pro drummer? I’d say 40% of the beats started as the Logic Pro drummer, which I then tailored 

23 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I’ve not, is it similar to the Logic Pro drummer? I’d say 40% of the beats started as the Logic Pro drummer, which I then tailored 

Ah, I dunno. Not an Apple user, so not used Logic. EZD is essentially sampled beats from real drummers, in different styles and time signatures, on a variety of kits and mic setups, with various add-on packs for different genres. It's pretty good once you get the hang of it. I use it in the Reaper DAW. 

• 3 weeks later...

Question to Moonman and the other guitarists in here.

What's everyone's thoughts on the Taylor 114ce? I'm guessing that someone here will at least have played one.

I'm looking at trading in my Taylor Academy 10, I should be able to get around £350/£400 and my budget for a new guitar would be an absolute max of £1000

I'm kind of limited to what I can get from PMT or Guitarguitar and wouldn't want to buy anything pre-owned without playing it first.

Anyone got any recommendations? ideally I'm looking for a grand auditorium or something similar.

12 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Question to Moonman and the other guitarists in here.

What's everyone's thoughts on the Taylor 114ce? I'm guessing that someone here will at least have played one.

Wouldn't know, mate. Other than that Taylors have a good reputation, and are pretty expensive. Only ever played one, which I borrowed for an impromptu gig. Don't know what model it was (blurry photo below), but not a 114. FWIW it was OK, but imho no better than my Seagull or my Epiphone jumbo. 

Screenshot_2023-04-10-08-57-32-88_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Wouldn't know, mate. Other than that Taylors have a good reputation, and are pretty expensive. Only ever played one, which I borrowed for an impromptu gig. Don't know what model it was (blurry photo below), but not a 114. FWIW it was OK, but imho no better than my Seagull or my Epiphone jumbo. 

Screenshot_2023-04-10-08-57-32-88_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

I'd love to have the chance to play a seagull that would probably be the top of my list but nowhere ever has them in stock.

The other one that I was looking at was the Gibson G-00, I haven't played on yet but they look interesting lol

They have a sound hole (player port) on the top so the sound is projected up to the player as well as out in front.

The Big Review: Gibson Generation Collection G-45 & G-00 | Guitar.com | All  Things Guitar 

given that I only play for myself at home this is pretty interesting, if it would make the guitar sound better to my ears then that would be a big thing, I can't help think that it is a bit of a gimmick and also I can imagine that it would be a bit weird fingerpicking and being able to see your hand through the hole in the top.

I'll definitely that a look at them though but at the minute I think the 114ce is still at the top of the list

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I'd love to have the chance to play a seagull that would probably be the top of my list but nowhere ever has them in stock.

Have a look on Reverb. Plenty of both used and new ones, if you're willing to take a chance without trying one first. 

37 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Have a look on Reverb. Plenty of both used and new ones, if you're willing to take a chance without trying one first. 

Yeah, I don't think I'd be too comfortable spending that sort of money on a guitar without having the chance to play it first, especially with an acoustic, its a massive gamble, it could arrive and I just might never get on with Seagull guitars in general and then I've spunked a bucketload of money on one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Yeah, I don't think I'd be too comfortable spending that sort of money on a guitar without having the chance to play it first, especially with an acoustic, its a massive gamble, it could arrive and I just might never get on with Seagull guitars in general and then I've spunked a bucketload of money on one.

Yeah, fair enough. Both mine were under £400  - although that was back in the mid-1990s in the case of the six string, which I did try in a shop first. The 12 string I took a chance on and bought secondhand off the net. But it's great. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/06/2022 at 19:59, mjmooney said:

@veloman - I thought you might appreciate these pics of my mate's kit - Yamaha 9000 with a Ludwig Black Beauty snare, apparently (dunno, I don't know drums from shit). 

@veloman I saw John on a gig last night with one of his five (!) bands. He wasn't playing the Yamaha kit, but a lovely looking Ludwig one (couldn't tell you the model, but I could easily ask him). Anyway, for probably the first time in my life I noticed how great the actual sound of the kit was. Not just his playing, but the tonality of the drums. Never noticed such things before. 

• Like 1

Cheers, would be interested to know - particularly what wood it is  - probably maple or birch. When I played in a pro band , I would change kits every 3 years, I think it was, to reduce the Schedule D tax bill. Did have a Ludwig ; gold sparkle like Joe Morello - didn't make me play like him though :) . Best (IMO) I ever had was Pearl DLX , similar to the ones used by my favourite drummer Jeff Porcaro. IMO , Yamaha have a very distinctive (and very nice) sound. Let me know. (Oh , and what cymbals does he use - Sabian , Zildjian etc.)

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Cheers, would be interested to know - particularly what wood it is  - probably maple or birch. When I played in a pro band , I would change kits every 3 years, I think it was, to reduce the Schedule D tax bill. Did have a Ludwig ; gold sparkle like Joe Morello - didn't make me play like him though :) . Best (IMO) I ever had was Pearl DLX , similar to the ones used by my favourite drummer Jeff Porcaro. IMO , Yamaha have a very distinctive (and very nice) sound. Let me know. (Oh , and what cymbals does he use - Sabian , Zildjian etc.)

I've PM'd you, @veloman

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

That is me 100% done with instruments now, I am completely happy with what I've got.

For now. 

44 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

For now. 

Nah, I've got two £1k guitars, a 25 year old tanglewood that I'd never get rid of, my telecaster player which I prefer to the player plus so I wouldn't upgrade that, an Epi Les Paul which I wouldn't upgrade and a bass that I don't play enough to justify upgrading and my 12 string Inspired by Gibson Hummingbird which I love, add to that my Martin Backpacker and I'm pretty much set.

I don't have space for any more and to upgrade on what I've got, I'd end up having to go into the £1k+ region which I just will never ever be able to justify.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@mjmooney or any of the other guitarists, have you ever bothered taking your guitars in to get a full set up done on them? 

I got my Martin back yesterday after getting one done on it, the results are **** amazing, it cost £85 but my god, she's like a new guitar, absolutely loving the results, I'll most likely take my Taylor in a few months and get one done on that as well.

On 21/05/2023 at 14:11, leemond2008 said:

@mjmooney or any of the other guitarists, have you ever bothered taking your guitars in to get a full set up done on them? 

I got my Martin back yesterday after getting one done on it, the results are **** amazing, it cost £85 but my god, she's like a new guitar, absolutely loving the results, I'll most likely take my Taylor in a few months and get one done on that as well.

There used to be two places in Birmingham to get guitars "butchered" as they used to say. One dealt with Fenders and one with Gibsons. Think one bloke was called John Birch but can't remember who did what. One bloke I played with had a new Maple neck put on to a Telecaster I think it was. Good player but , like so many of my ex band mated, sadly no longer alive.

Electrics, yes. Acoustics, no. 

I guess if you've got particular problems with an acoustic (fret buzz, action too high, intonation issues, etc.), then I suppose there are things that might need doing - changed nut, etc. But I've never had any issues with my acoustics, so  I take the "ain't broke, don't fix it" line. 

Electrics are another matter. I've had work done on my Sonex, Epi LP and the Fender bass - mainly cleanups, fix crackly pots, new nut on the Epi, intonation adjusted, etc. 

Edited by mjmooney

Yeah, I’ve only ever got them done when I’ve acquired a new one to get heavier gauge strings put on them. (My ESP went from standard 46-10 to baritone 72-13 for that deep Drop B goodness). Since becoming a dad though last year It’s barely been used though. 

This is the second Martin 000-10e that I've had, Martins are knows for coming with a pretty high action, I took it to one bloke who I found online, had brilliant reviews, I only asked him to lower the action and he ended up telling me how it was in desperate need of humidifying etc, anyways, I put my trust in him and got a call a few days later to pick it up, I was in a major rush at the time so I had to literally run in grab it and run back out.

Anyways, I got it back home and the action at the 12th fret was at something ridiculous like 0.5mm and it wouldn't play at all above the 5th fret for the buzz, I was absolutely devastated, not only that but it had two cracks in the side of the wood, I was going to go and set fire to his house for it but I knew that the guitar was ruined for me so I cut my losses and sold it and got another one.

After plenty of debating I decided to take the plunge and take it into a dude called Bob Barry, he was recommended to me by both Hobgoblin music and PMT, anyways, he's got it playing lovely, even at the top of the neck the difference is massive,  it cost £85 to get it done but the guitar cost me knocking on for a grand so it makes sense to get it playing as nice as possible.

Â