The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jeez - my eyesight must be going. Was looking at Teletext and noticed the word 'Gallagher' In Concert. Immediately put it on thinking it would be the excellent, late Rory Gallagher. Unfortunately it was the pratt out of Oasis. To me, there is more life on the moon than in his music ...  and he uses a capo. No self respecting guitarist I've ever played with  would do that.

• Like 1

Jeez - my eyesight must be going. Was looking at Teletext and noticed the word 'Gallagher' In Concert. Immediately put it on thinking it would be the excellent, late Rory Gallagher. Unfortunately it was the pratt out of Oasis. To me, there is more life on the moon than in his music ...  and he uses a capo. No self respecting guitarist I've ever played with  would do that.

I use one frequently. But then I am neither self respecting nor much of a musician.

And if it's good enough for Birmingham's finest...

On 21 September 2015 at 16:16, Sie said:

Oh you Mr Guest!

Any Metal Gear Solid fans in off topic? Spent some time yesterday and some time today producing a cover of Quiet's Theme. Here are the results. (sorry for shitting up the thread with huge youtube players, I'll stop it now)

A Hideo Kojima Game!

I have no idea about the game, but the music's really really good. Excellent.

I'm sure you are a good muso Mr Mooney, just reporting on my (limited) experience ... and anything to have a go at that little turd Gallagher. Never saw SW use a capo before - we were lucky enough to support the Spencer Davis Group when SW played a Harmony !! but he barred his chords.

I'm sure you are a good muso Mr Mooney, just reporting on my (limited) experience ... and anything to have a go at that little turd Gallagher. Never saw SW use a capo before - we were lucky enough to support the Spencer Davis Group when SW played a Harmony !! but he barred his chords.

No, I'm very limited, and after 40-plus years of playing, I can't do barre chords to save my life.

In the case of SW above, having the guitar capo'd up at the seventh fret is, I suspect, done for tonal reasons - it gives it that folky mandolin sound. Ian Anderson did exactly the same thing for Tull's "Life's a Long Song" (another favourite of mine).

4 hours ago, blandy said:

I have no idea about the game, but the music's really really good. Excellent.

I teamed up with a singer on Youtube and turned that instrumental into a vocal cover. Here's the finished result which I upload a couple of days ago. It got the thumbs up from the lady who voiced the iDroid in MGSV (and sang Sins of the Father - Donna Burke) which I was very happy to hear.

Edited by Sie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sie said:

I teamed up with a singer on Youtube and turned that instrumental into a vocal cover. Here's the finished result which I upload a couple of days ago. It got the thumbs up from the lady who voiced the iDroid in MGSV (and sang Sins of the Father - Donna Burke) which I was very happy to hear.

Of the two, I prefer the instrumental - there's just more space in it, more time to breathe, if that makes sense. The vocal version is decent, though - I don't dislike it.

I think it's fair to say that you wouldn't expect an electric guitarist in a band to be using a capo. But it's pretty normal in a acoustic/folk setting. You want those open string chords to ring out, whatever key the song is pitched at to suit the singer's range. I play "John Barleycorn" exactly as Winwood does, but capoed at the third fret, singing it in C minor. Those chord shapes just work well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I think it's fair to say that you wouldn't expect an electric guitarist in a band to be using a capo. But it's pretty normal in a acoustic/folk setting. You want those open string chords to ring out, whatever key the song is pitched at to suit the singer's range. I play "John Barleycorn" exactly as Winwood does, but capoed at the third fret, singing it in C minor. Those chord shapes just work well.

Yep; I'm sure you are right. As I said earlier, I haven't played that sort of stuff, hence only mixed with electric players. I just remember guitarists I HAVE played with being a bit sniffy about using a capo. Don't forget .... I'm/was only a drummer :)

• Like 2

Yep; I'm sure you are right. As I said earlier, I haven't played that sort of stuff, hence only mixed with electric players. I just remember guitarists I HAVE played with being a bit sniffy about using a capo. Don't forget .... I'm/was only a drummer [emoji4]

Must... not... make... drummer... jokes...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Well he's not using a capo, so I'm not sure what you mean (nice though).

No, no ; what I meant was the sort of 'acoustic' setting you referred to. If you like this geezer (Earl Klugh) check out his version of an old 'Orleans' number called "Dance with me"

Good to talk to you.

(I'll drop the capo business ..... but still dislike Oasis)

Â