The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

Just had a look at how much uprights go for - Not a lot.

£5 for one in Worcester with 40 minutes to go - Good nick too.

Saying that - I would want it to go on the ground floor.

Gave ours away for nothing.

Before you got into recording again?

No, the piano was useless. Was no longer tuneable without dropping below concert pitch. I bought a cheapo Yamaha keyboard for the attic studio.

No, the piano was useless. Was no longer tuneable without dropping below concert pitch. I bought a cheapo Yamaha keyboard for the attic studio.

I think you have the exact same yamaha as me, is yours a yamaha psr-e333 or something like that?

The keyboard itself is fine as long as you aren't using the touch settings on it, they are horrible, I desperately needed to upgrade to something with 88 weighted keys, there are far too many songs that I can't play on the one I've got at the moment, plus the p-45 sounds 100 times better from what I have heard when playing it in the shop

I think you have the exact same yamaha as me, is yours a yamaha psr-e333 or something like that?

The keyboard itself is fine as long as you aren't using the touch settings on it, they are horrible, I desperately needed to upgrade to something with 88 weighted keys, there are far too many songs that I can't play on the one I've got at the moment, plus the p-45 sounds 100 times better from what I have heard when playing it in the shop

Yeah, that's the one. TBH it's fine for me, as my piano playing is rudimentary at best. Currently experimenting with using it as a MIDI controller in Cubase.

Yeah I'm no Mozart by any stretch of the imagination but I am getting lessons on a proper electric piano and trying to translate what I've learnt from my keyboard to that is a nightmare, it wouldn't be too bad if the touch settings were just a wee bit better

the Yamaha P-45 was one of the digital Pianos my son considered, in the end we went for the Casio Celviano Ap250, got it on a good deal which meant it wasn't much more than the price of the Yamaha, really didn't appreciate the limitations of a keyboard (in his case a roland A-45) until playing the digital, unfortunately his piano teacher has had to give up through circumstances beyond her control, and he's now looking for a suitable new one, shame because she was really making a difference to his playing and worked around his disability really well.

Edited by mockingbird_franklin

we're in Suttton Coldfield, Streetly to be more precise, recommendations gratefully welcomed,

Took a while to find one he was comfortable with, unfortunately where she taught has closed and she hasn't been able to find alternative premises and understandably doesn't want to either use her own home or her students for lessons

Edited by mockingbird_franklin

I've just PM'd you her details mate give her a bell and see how it goes, if your nipper does end up getting lessons off her then tell her I want my next 2 lessons for half price for sending more students her way

p.s. that last bit was a joke....I'll tell her that myself lol

• 4 weeks later...

So one hobby of mine is building drums. Here is my newest: an aluminium snare drum that is really rather loud!

9582255_orig.jpg

Nice! How 'bout a shot of the interior? Cast or rolled shell? How thick?

I have a Noble & Cooley Alloy Classic and it's quite a nice drum.

That's a pretty awesome hobby my friend, I've often thought that I'd love to make my own guitars (luthiers if I am right) but I know I lack the tools, skills and dedication to do it so I fail on all fronts

So one hobby of mine is building drums. Here is my newest: an aluminium snare drum that is really rather loud!

9582255_orig.jpg

3mm rolled and welded aluminium. The chap that rolled and welded it for me did a stunning job of hiding the weld. You really cannot see it. However the shell does go very slightly out of round at that point but not enough to make any noticeable effect on the sound or tuning.

The holes and snare bed and bearing edges I cut myself using standard stuff like routers and even just hand files. I then sprayed it myself (I considered going with powder coating but decided to just stick to doing it myself) and added tube lugs and DW throw off and butt end.

I also have a mini kit I made that I will upload a picture of later. That uses mahogany shells from what used to be Carrera drums.

3mm rolled and welded aluminium. The chap that rolled and welded it for me did a stunning job of hiding the weld. You really cannot see it. However the shell does go very slightly out of round at that point but not enough to make any noticeable effect on the sound or tuning.

The holes and snare bed and bearing edges I cut myself using standard stuff like routers and even just hand files. I then sprayed it myself (I considered going with powder coating but decided to just stick to doing it myself) and added tube lugs and DW throw off and butt end.

I also have a mini kit I made that I will upload a picture of later. That uses mahogany shells from what used to be Carrera drums.

Great. I'd love to see the kit!

Here's a question for the VT musicians, what instrument or instruments do you play and what was it that inspired you to start learning it?

When I was younger I was massively into ocean colour scene and though Damon was a great bass player, I told my dad I wanted to learn bass and he cuffed me round the ear and told me to take a look at Jimmy Page, after that I bought my first acoustic and soon graduated to my epiphone les paul.

After the guitar came my banjo, I was pretty decent on the guitar and my musical tastes had changed and I was listening to more country based stuff, after listening to Steve Earles bluegrass album I decided I wanted a banjo more than anything and a girl at work bought me one for my birthday, it was a bag of wank but it gave me the incentive to save up to buy a decent one.

At some point I bought a keyboard which turned out to be a lot harder than I expected it to be and after injuring my shoulder and being unable to play my banjo or guitar or 3 months I knuckled down on the keyboard and now 2 months on from there I've got my first digital piano and that takes up most of my time, again it also helps that I have got a newfound love for classical music.

What's your story?

Â