The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

• 2 months later...

Well apparently I have **** up my rotator cuff (don't ask how I basically jarred my shoulder whilst getting off the bus 6 weeks ago and it's left me severely incapacitated and off work for the last 2 weeks whilst waiting to see what the quacks will do about it, anyway my shoulder really hurts) it's shit though I can't play my guitar at all and whilst I can still play my keyboard I'm no where near good enough to play it to a satisfactory level.

Normally I will put my music on pour a drink and just knock about on me guitar or banjo whilst it's playing but at the minute I can't do that at all so I'm just sitting down listening to music, drinking and staring at walls, I'm bored shitless.

I dont recon I realised how important musical instruments were to me until I lost them, it's been 6 weeks now and I'm pretty much sitting here night after night playing call of duty and eating take aways, I miss my **** guitar, she sits in the corner of the room looking at me like a sad dog who doesn't understand why I won't throw a ball for her.

On another note does anyone else find that when playing/learning songs on the keyboard they always seem really hollow with nothing else behind it? I suppose it depends on what song you are learning but I find when it comes to chords and shit they just sound really bland.

I could do with some lessons but can't afford them, it's quite frustrating because I recon with just a few lessons I could play the keyboard better than I can the guitar, for some reason I have spider fingers and I think I'm just more suited to it but I'm trying to teach myself and I've gotten to a level (not a very high one at all) and now I'm kind of stuck...but I digress, I miss my guitar really bad, I suppose it's back to alcohol and listening to music

On another note does anyone else find that when playing/learning songs on the keyboard they always seem really hollow with nothing else behind it? I suppose it depends on what song you are learning but I find when it comes to chords and shit they just sound really bland.

First things first - the difference between a keyboard and a synthesiser is a keyboard has it's own speakers, and they're often pretty poxy.

Second thing - the device synths and keyboards are based on, piano, dampens strings when you release the keys. This suits the synth manufacturers, a ringing note takes up resources, so get rid as soon as possible. There's no internal resonance either so when the note is finished, it's gone - no sympathetic vibrations from other undamped strings. This makes for an unnatural sounding termination, especially if you're otherwise used to acoustic instruments.

A play with aftertouch and envelope functions can help a bit - lengthening the sustain and release, or maybe add some reverb

If your keyboard doesn't have one, another cheap little toy which can help make them sound a bit more organic is a sustain pedal.

Any decent piano bluffer will tell you - sustain is your friend.

• Like 2

The guy from the allotment turned out to be unreliable. Kept saying he'd come round for a jam but never did. However one of my running club mates is now interested, and I'm pretty sure he's not a timewaster - has some gigging experience, plays bass, sings a bit, writes a bit. Plan to get started some time in the next couple of weeks. And I've now got 9 or 10 new songs on the blocks.

• Like 2

Sorry something about Curtis Roads' Computer Music Journal and me not being able to teach myself Synthesis.

One of the most wonderful toys on the internet is Audiotool.

It works in your browser window.

Open it up. There are some templates that are fine to play with. This time go for the blank canvas.

Drop in the Tonematrix and the Pulverisateur from the right hand side.

Disconnect the 'Out' of the Tonematrix by simply clicking on the output and dragging it into space.

Connect the 'Note' of the Tonematrix to the 'Note' of the Pulverisateur, by clicking and dragging from their input/outputs.

The Tonematrix is now a simple sequencer running your softsynth.

Press play on the transport in the sequencer part of the screen (bottom third). It should loop automatically, though the loop key is to the right of the play button.

Clicking on the squares in the Tonematrix will toggle a note.

It should look a little like this...

rh49bl.jpg

You can then go to the Pulverisator and play around to your hearts content.

If there's anyone in earshot - use headphones!

Incidentally there's softclones of the Roland TR808, TR909 and TB303, three of the cornerstones of electronic music.

They function in exactly the same way as the originals, which is pretty cool.

Audiotool

It's a great toy, but it goes beyond a toy by being able to save, and really amazingly, being able to upload your own sounds.

• Like 1

Thanks I'll give it a try I won't have a clue what I'm doing though but I don't mind playing around pressing buttons seeing what sounds come out for the fun of it. I've already downloaded Pure Data but haven't really looked that much into that one got a feeling it might be a bit complicated for me though.

I have been asked to drop into a friend's band and play lead when they do a cover of Shout by TFF.

I have never played in front of anyone before...worried. Yes!

Lead what? And who are TFF?

Â