Advice on making a website from scratch

Genie

Ok, there are clearly super clever chaps on this site so I'm asking for your advice :D

I want to make a website, I'll keep the idea to myself for now but it will involve providing information and also a portal for others to add information (but not a forum, also not Villa related)

Anyway not sure that really matters but as I have never put anything together like this I was wondering if I might benefit from others on here with some do's and dont's to get me started.

It would be nice to think at some point it might yield some money from traffic/advertising etc but not really likely at this stage.

I guess I need 1) a web address / domain. 2) Someone to host the site 3) Some software to build the the web pages themselves.

So, any advice on 1), 2) and 3) above? Obviously dont want to spend any more than I have to at this stage.

Thanks!

Before you go any further, read about libel.

You'll probably find you can customise Wordpress to your needs (or pay someone else to). There are many hosting companies who will host Wordpress for you.

Tip. Buy your domain yourself through someone who will register it in your name (like ukreg.com). That way you can't held to ransom by the "free" hosting companies if the site takes off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone used Weebly to create a website?

It almost seems to good to be true. You can create really nice looking websites by simply dragging and dropping icons onto a page.

Just wondering if anyone's heard or experienced anything negative about it?

This probably sounds like an incredibly stupid question but how does hosting work?

I understand you buy a domain name off someone like godaddy.com but then do you need to find a company to host it? Do you have to pay extra if you've got things large files like video and music on your site? Do you pay more the more your site is visited?

The hosting aspect seems very confusing to me.

You rent domain names, not buy them. Someone like godaddy registers them for you.

Hosting is the computers where your web site runs. Pricing varies enormously depending on your requirements. Prices are largely charged on the amount of data you can send, so it's highly dependant on type of content and the number of viewers / downloaders. Usually packages are capped so you will get wither an amount of bandwidth per month, or per second. The are usually various options for when you exceed your bundle.

You will also pay more for dedicated servers rather than shared (virtual) servers. You will need more compute power if the website is dynamic, or has a database and obviously the amount of compute power needed increases as your site gets busier.

Cheers, appreciate the info from someone who obviously knows what they're talking about.

If you register a domain with someone like 1and1 or godaddy do they provide the hosting for extra money or do you need to find a different host yourself?

Wherever you get the domain, make sure that either it is registered in your name, or you understand the charges for moving it.

Personally I'd buy the domain from somewhere different to the hosting and I'd use ukreg.com to register the domain. The reason for keeping them separate is so that you minimise the chances of being locked in - you can always go to another hosting company and point the domain at the new one.

My experience of 1and1 was a while ago, but they were an appalling company to deal with. They'd happily lie about things rather than fix a problem.

A lot of this really does depend what you are doing.

• Like 1

Has anyone used Weebly to create a website?

Weebly is great if you don't want to do anything clever. You can knock up a new site in minutes. Of course you are restricted by their templates but if you just want a few pages to show something off (and you don't mind a .weebly.com address) its fantastic. I've used it several times to pretty good effect.

I'm looking at setting something up which will involve short video clips and a membership subscription for it.

Upgrading to weebly pro means you can get rid of the .weebly thing and upload unlimited video clips. I've also read about something called sentry login which allows you to make the site restricted to members who pay.

A web design agency have quoted me £11,000 to make something that looks like i could make for free myself.

My only worry is how easy it is to move a weebly site to a host of my choice.

Â