Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Watching Swansea demolish Bradford today showed what a piss poor job Lambert did tactically with Villa over 2 matches against Bradford.

He is clueless as a manager, and I am sure that some on VT especially just "support" him to try and save face because of what they have posted before.

'Nail on the Head'.

Our inability to deal with a fourth tier team over two legs is a reflection on the manager and the manager alone. Lerner is a useless owner but the failings on the pitch against Bradford (twice) were solely down to Lambert and his inability as a manager.

Those that continue to show him support may well be doing so just to 'Save Face' as you put it.

There werent 11 players out there then?

There wasnt an international defender losing his man in the box? Was that Lamberts tactics?

There wasnt an international striker missing an open goal from 2 yards at Valley Parade - was that Lamberts tactics?

Yes, the 11 players that Lambert selected (some of which he purchased). So, is that you lay the blame for failing to get past the mighty Bradford at the feet of the players and Lambert is totally blameless then or are you just trying to 'Save Face'.

Intrigued to know which!

Save Face of what?? Maybe my comments that I think Lamberts the worst manager out of the previous four in the transfer market? Maybe the comments that he was never my first choice? - Do you think Im saving face of them??. 

Where did I say Lambert was totally blameless?? Id love you to seek any post where I dont acknowledge Lerner/Lamberts weaknesses??

Your the one with the unbalanced opinion that only lays blame on 1 person. Is that because you are saving face with regards to the players?

My opinion is quite balanced as is my ability to write correctly.

Please, have a wonderful evening and thank you for your comments.

Watching Swansea demolish Bradford today showed what a piss poor job Lambert did tactically with Villa over 2 matches against Bradford.

He is clueless as a manager, and I am sure that some on VT especially just "support" him to try and save face because of what they have posted before.

'Nail on the Head'.

Our inability to deal with a fourth tier team over two legs is a reflection on the manager and the manager alone. Lerner is a useless owner but the failings on the pitch against Bradford (twice) were solely down to Lambert and his inability as a manager.

Those that continue to show him support may well be doing so just to 'Save Face' as you put it.

There werent 11 players out there then?

There wasnt an international defender losing his man in the box? Was that Lamberts tactics?

There wasnt an international striker missing an open goal from 2 yards at Valley Parade - was that Lamberts tactics?

Yes, the 11 players that Lambert selected (some of which he purchased). So, is that you lay the blame for failing to get past the mighty Bradford at the feet of the players and Lambert is totally blameless then or are you just trying to 'Save Face'.

Intrigued to know which!

Save Face of what?? Maybe my comments that I think Lamberts the worst manager out of the previous four in the transfer market? Maybe the comments that he was never my first choice? - Do you think Im saving face of them??. 

Where did I say Lambert was totally blameless?? Id love you to seek any post where I dont acknowledge Lerner/Lamberts weaknesses??

Your the one with the unbalanced opinion that only lays blame on 1 person. Is that because you are saving face with regards to the players?

My opinion is quite balanced as is my ability to write correctly.

Please, have a wonderful evening and thank you for your comments.

Quite a shame when people turn to insults rather than offering more to the debate.

That said, have a wonderful evening too pacbuddies  :)

• Like 1

I really don't think Lambert was entirely to blame for the loss to Bradford. 

The players didn't perform as well as they should have done over the two legs. 

A football club has many contributing factors: Players, Manager, Backroom staff, Owner etc... To lay the blame of certain defeats on just one person is foolish. 

A football club has many contributing factors: Players, Manager, Backroom staff, Owner etc... To lay the blame of certain defeats on just one person is foolish. 

That is naive and defeatist in my opinion.

In that way every loss has an explanation and the manager is never at fault. It is his job to win the games with the tools he has at hand, and the success over the season is down to the manager. A poor manager will not get results with a good team like Man City, but a great one will manage successfully with teams like Swansea, Villa and Stoke. If a manager is not able to motivate his players to beat Bradford over two legs, then it says all about him really. Everything can happen away from home in one game, but over two legs the Premier League-side should always win. I don't care about today's result for Swansea vs. Bradford, since Bradford already had won with the feat of just arriving there. Players win the actual matches on the pitch, but over the course of the season one can never blame all the players as they will play badly when they are not motivated and don't see the light at the end of the season. Lambert had huge belief in himself when he came here, he had all the fans on his side and came from recent success with Norwich, if you can call a 12th place success. Instead of him adjusting our setup to the players we had at hand, he set up something he wanted us to play and it failed miserably. That is an error hard to explain, and it shows his inexperience and naivety in this game where the good ones last and the others disappear into the abyss. Watching us play without wingers and trying to win the possession was just pathetic, watching us play an outdated defensive setup with 3-5-2/5-3-2 was diabolical and the inability to change things around when we let in 15 goals in three matches was heartbreaking.

I had faith in Lambert and I liked him as a person, his aura or whatever you call it. He seemed to have a certain bit of penache, arrogance and savvy about him, but you can only have that when you are winning. After a season of mostly losing his attitude has changed and he just seems lost, describing how fantastic we were even though we lost and blaming everything else. I hate it when managers indirectly blame the lack of funds and injuries when we lose, like that was the only contribution for the result and not the tactics or general play from those who actually did play.

So far I cannot give Lambert anything else than 3 out of 10 in terms of ratings. If we go down I wouldn't blame Lerner if he sacked him, because turning the tides when you relegate is awfully hard. That ghost kind of stick with the manager for a long time and both parties need to find new ventures. When we were bad in the middle of the season I didn't want to sack him because I am basically against sacking people too early and I find it to destabilize everything, and mostly because I didn't have a candidate in mind who could take over immediately and make us better. However, now my impression is that pretty much every other candidate is as good as Lambert so I wouldn't be very distraught. Lambert is young and could be a good manager in 5-10 years, but from this season's results I very much doubt that will be with Aston Villa.

• Like 1

Well that puts our defeat against Bradford over 2 legs into perspective!

5-0 :unsure:

Watching that  today i struggle to see how on Earth we lost against them?  they were shockingly bad. That was a practice session for Swansea today.. how embarrassing that we actually lost to that side.

Well we missed chance after chance at valley parade, Benteke was awful that night and the chance Bent missed ! Dear oh dear

Plus we defended like the keystone cops

In that way every loss has an explanation and the manager is never at fault. It is his job to win the games with the tools he has at hand, and the success over the season is down to the manager. A poor manager will not get results with a good team like Man City, but a great one will manage successfully with teams like Swansea, Villa and Stoke. If a manager is not able to motivate his players to beat Bradford over two legs, then it says all about him really. Everything can happen away from home in one game, but over two legs the Premier League-side should always win. I don't care about today's result for Swansea vs. Bradford, since Bradford already had won with the feat of just arriving there. Players win the actual matches on the pitch, but over the course of the season one can never blame all the players as they will play badly when they are not motivated and don't see the light at the end of the season. Lambert had huge belief in himself when he came here, he had all the fans on his side and came from recent success with Norwich, if you can call a 12th place success. Instead of him adjusting our setup to the players we had at hand, he set up something he wanted us to play and it failed miserably. That is an error hard to explain, and it shows his inexperience and naivety in this game where the good ones last and the others disappear into the abyss. Watching us play without wingers and trying to win the possession was just pathetic, watching us play an outdated defensive setup with 3-5-2/5-3-2 was diabolical and the inability to change things around when we let in 15 goals in three matches was heartbreaking.

I had faith in Lambert and I liked him as a person, his aura or whatever you call it. He seemed to have a certain bit of penache, arrogance and savvy about him, but you can only have that when you are winning. After a season of mostly losing his attitude has changed and he just seems lost, describing how fantastic we were even though we lost and blaming everything else. I hate it when managers indirectly blame the lack of funds and injuries when we lose, like that was the only contribution for the result and not the tactics or general play from those who actually did play.

So far I cannot give Lambert anything else than 3 out of 10 in terms of ratings. If we go down I wouldn't blame Lerner if he sacked him, because turning the tides when you relegate is awfully hard. That ghost kind of stick with the manager for a long time and both parties need to find new ventures. When we were bad in the middle of the season I didn't want to sack him because I am basically against sacking people too early and I find it to destabilize everything, and mostly because I didn't have a candidate in mind who could take over immediately and make us better. However, now my impression is that pretty much every other candidate is as good as Lambert so I wouldn't be very distraught. Lambert is young and could be a good manager in 5-10 years, but from this season's results I very much doubt that will be with Aston Villa.

I think you have completely missed the point.

No one is saying that he isnt to blame. Just because people question others (in this case the players) it doesnt mean, we don't see Lamberts failings.

I cant blame Lambert for a players inability to just put his foot on the ball,look up and pass it to a team mate.Too often i see a player kick it from our box to the halfway line just to see the opposition come right back at us.

Very much this.

We are talking about the very basics of football. Stuff I learnt and could perform at 10. If players on thousands of pounds a week need their arses wiping to perform them, we really are in trouble. 

Time to stop blaming Lerner/Lambert and start telling the players some home truths. What we have seen over 3 years just simply isnt good enough.

I think you have completely missed the point.

No one is saying that he isnt to blame. Just because people question others (in this case the players) it doesnt mean, we don't see Lamberts failings.

this.

Absolutely - but absolve blame from Lambert, someone who has a massive influence on how the team performs is probably worse

Absolutely - but absolve blame from Lambert, someone who has a massive influence on how the team performs is probably worse

:bang:

This is what happens when you don't have an inspirational club captain about .

While I agree we are missing Stan CI, We were pretty awful with him for 2 years.

Woody, we finished 9th with him and then he was ill for a season and eventually diagnosed .

I think we've never replaced him in terms of captaincy and leadership , I hoped Vlaar was going to step up to the plate yet I don't think he has.

The only club where he's got a good previous record is Norwich,

We've seen time and time again that sometimes managers just aren't good enough to step up to the bigger clubs. Just becuase Lambert was good with Norwich doesn't mean he's going to be automatically good with us. As it turns out he's been dreadful so far.

So he can motivate Weimann, but what about the other players? Football isn't all about motivation but Lambert's still doing a piss poor job at it. We've looked gutless many times this season.

Im not necessarily saying he is able to motivate Andi and that he should be applauded. What I am saying is - why are we pointing the finger at the manager when the players are clearly capable of motivating themselves - as shown by Weimann? There grown adults for goodness sake. The attitude of our players over the last 3 years has been nothing short of an utter disgrace. An embarrassment! And there still getting away with it???????? Were still blaming the manager? Were still saying Gabby bleeds claret and blue?? HE CLEARLY DOESNT. 

The manager is there to get the best out of players. But they have to take some responsibility themselves.

Its Monday morning at Carrington. Robin Van Persie cant be arsed. Do you really think SAF would be sat there mulling over ways to motivate him. I think not. Hed be out the door alas Bent, Ireland etc. 

From top to bottom, football has lost all sense of reality. While we keep calling for the manager to go - the players will continue with this untouchable attitude.

Where did I say the players didn't also need to take responsibility?

You see this is supposedly a thread about Paul Lambert and discussions re him. As said some would try their hardest, and I still maintain it's more about saving face for them, to lay the blame for any problems at the feet of anyone BUT Lambert.

The reality for me though is that he has significantly contributed to the issues we have now at the club. He has failed in his job as manager and is showing no signs of being up to managing the club in the future. As said many times, to be in charge of record defeats, losses to 4th division clubs, appalling tactics consistently, awful tactics, throwing away points constantly, failing to address the most basic weaknesses in play is really down to him.

I wanted the bloke at the start but for me it became clear very quickly that he did not have the right abilities to do this job and should have been got rid of sooner rather than later. One of the worst managers I have seen at the club and I have watched them since the days of Tommy Doc.

Now there are numerous threads to discuss Lerner (who I also think has massively let down the club) and various players and their relative merits etc

This is what happens when you don't have an inspirational club captain about .

While I agree we are missing Stan CI, We were pretty awful with him for 2 years.

Woody, we finished 9th with him and then he was ill for a season and eventually diagnosed .

I think we've never replaced him in terms of captaincy and leadership , I hoped Vlaar was going to step up to the plate yet I don't think he has.

We leapt from 16th to 9th in the last two games. We also had Young/Downing and an in form Bent.

He was diagnosed in Feb I think - When we were already in the mire.

As much as I am a fan, Stiliyan Petrov (whilst he would help) would not have us a long way out of this mess, if at all.