Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Will state this again.

No-one expected us to be in the top six. NO-ONE!

Definitely, I find it worrying that even though we have just played 3 games in a week and taken 5 points, remained unbeaten and not lost to two teams around us, some people still can't see the progress we are making.

Amazing isn't it? A team that's just about hovering above the trap door who have scored just 12 league goals in 15 games, playing god awful football, and even after selling all our best players and replacing them with cheap players from the lower leagues and abroad fans still aren't happy.

What a load of rubbish.

Before Lerner came did we spend most seasons battling relegation?

Im talking specifically about people who only started going down Villa Park and "supporting" the team when the new money arrived. What have the years prior to that got to do with those people?

Amazing isn't it? A team that's just about hovering above the trap door who have scored just 12 league goals in 15 games, playing god awful football, and even after selling all our best players and replacing them with cheap players from the lower leagues and abroad fans still aren't happy.

So whilst im talking about the progress we have made over the past 2 weeks or so you are talking about the past 3 years. Good one, was that all Lambert's fault as well? Or are you now aiming your displeasure at Lerner?

Im talking specifically about people who only started going down Villa Park and "supporting" the team when the new money arrived. What have the years prior to that got to do with those people?

You seem to be lumping anyone who isn't over the moon right now as these type of fans.

I'd love to know how you determine which posters on here only turned up once Lerner came.

So whilst im talking about the progress we have made over the past 2 weeks or so you are talking about the past 3 years. Good one, was that all Lambert's fault as well? Or are you now aiming your displeasure at Lerner?

Progress? Scraped a win against one of the worst teams in the league (Reading) with a quite diabolical performance, a backs to the wall performance against Arsenal then nick a point whilst defending for our lives against a team who have yet to win a game all season, and you call that progress?

Jesus, some people are easily pleased these days.

• Like 1

You seem to be lumping anyone who isn't over the moon right now as these type of fans.

I'd love to know how you determine which posters on here only turned up once Lerner came.

What are you talking about? Over the moon? I don't think anyone is over the moon. There are however clearly groups of people who can see the bigger picture and are prepared to give a manager time and those who still can't get over the fact that the days of finishing 6th in the league are gone for the time being and want it back right now at any cost.

And no, you are right, obviously I can't determine which posters turned up once Lerner came in but what I can do is apply what I have seen in the real world to an online forum. The same people I know who only showed an interest in Villa at that time are the same ones who can't grasp the current situation.

Progress? Scraped a win against one of the worst teams in the league (Reading) with a quite diabolical performance, a backs to the wall performance against Arsenal then nick a point whilst defending for our lives against a team who have yet to win a game all season, and you call that progress?

Jesus, some people are easily pleased these days.

Unbeaten in three isn't progress? A resilience from a young squad isn't progress? Even when our captain is injured and our young defence stand firm, that isn't progress either I take it? They might be small but it is still progress and signs of improvement.

• Like 2

Ok, Who could get the current squad playing better then? And what others players do you actually know were available and interested in coming to Villa that would have improved our current situation?

As far as I'm concerned Lambert is doing things the right way and its refreshing to see. We are going to have ups and downs, probably more downs this season to be fair but changing a mentality of a whole club is not an easy thing to do and is going to take time.

So you reckon that before Lambert was appointed there were no other managers out there who could have improved upon us being in and still around the drop zone?

Secondly, as I have constantly stated elsewhere, two of my picks were Diame and Adam. One of my other choices was Berbatov but I have always balanced that with his wages which would, admittently been high. Both Diame and Adam would still walk into our midfield now with Adam's delivery on corners and free kicks clearly something we are lacking.

What are you talking about? Over the moon? I don't think anyone is over the moon. There are however clearly groups of people who can see the bigger picture and are prepared to give a manager time and those who still can't get over the fact that the days of finishing 6th in the league are gone for the time being and want it back right now at any cost.

And no, you are right, obviously I can't determine which posters turned up once Lerner came in but what I can do is apply what I have seen in the real world to an online forum. The same people I know who only showed an interest in Villa at that time are the same ones who can't grasp the current situation.

I'd be interested to know what your grasp of the current situation is?

So you reckon that before Lambert was appointed there were no other managers out there who could have improved upon us being in and still around the drop zone?

Secondly, as I have constantly stated elsewhere, two of my picks were Diame and Adam. One of my other choices was Berbatov but I have always balanced that with his wages which would, admittently been high. Both Diame and Adam would still walk into our midfield now with Adam's delivery on corners and free kicks is something we are clearly lacking.

I asked you which managers you thought were available. You tell me.

And on Charlie Adam and Diame. Charlie Adam went to Stoke for 4 million. What makes you think we had that sort of money to spend on just one midfielder? Diame, maybe. Free transfer but again, wages.

One thing we do know though is that players coming in from Holland and Belgium won't command big wages, just as lower league players won't. Players who are already playing in the Premier League generally do.

I'd be interested to know what your grasp of the current situation is?

At the moment it is obviously difficult watching the team you love struggling but I'm prepared to give Lambert time because I like the way he is going about things. There is clearly a need to get down the massive wage bill and he is doing a good job bringing in players whilst complying with that. A young squad with two more senior players in Vlaar and El Ahmadi who were used to playing with a young team at Feyenoord was clever business for me and it hints at the direction we are taking. If these lads can grow together and gel well, with a couple of additions and a bit of luck this season I think we'll have a much more fruitful time the following season.

Just have to get through this year and support the team, as hard as it might be at times.

I think we are showing signs of it coming together. We are playing more as a team, we look less fragile, more resilient. There is still clearly massive room for improvement but we are getting there.in stages. I think this is also the general view of most people who have seen villa recently from what I read and hear

You know what I'd love? I'd love these kids to get a shot at Wembley in the League Cup Final

I asked you which managers you thought were available. You tell me.

And on Charlie Adam and Diame. Charlie Adam went to Stoke for 4 million. What makes you think we had that sort of money to spend on just one midfielder? Diame, maybe. Free transfer but again, wages.

One thing we do know though is that players coming in from Holland and Belgium won't command big wages, just as lower league players won't. Players who are already playing in the Premier League generally do.

You haven't answered my question but to answer yours we could have went for Jol when he was available and got rid of Mcleish sooner. No compensation payable either. We could also have gone for Clark. Rafa maybe?

You say we couldn't afford to pay 4m for one player yet we spent 7m on Benteke and placed a bid for Dempsey. Furthermore, Lambert has admitted that he didn't spend all of his available budget in the summer! Both Adam and Diame were affordable alright, we just didn't go for them and imagine how better our midfield would have been with those players in alongside Ireland or Westwood.

You haven't answered my question but to answer yours we could have went for Jol when he was available and got rid of Mcleish sooner. No compensation payable either. We could also have gone for Clark. Rafa maybe?

You say we couldn't afford to pay 4m for one player yet we spent 7m on Benteke and placed a bid for Dempsey. Both Adam and Diame were affordable alright, we just didn't go for them and imagine how better our midfield would have been with those players in alongside Ireland or Westwood.

OK, so no. I don't think there was a better manager available to us who would do what Lambert is having to do such as bring down the wage bill and bring together a younger, hungrier squad. Rafa and Jol clearly wouldn't be able to do that.

And I'm well aware we spent 7 million on Benteke but your whole reason for signing Adam was for his delivery at set pieces. What use is that without Benteke? Also, we are talking wages again, He was signed from Liverpool and I can imagine 4 million plus whatever wages he was on is fairly equal to 7 million and what Benteke is on.

Say we used the funds for Benteke to purchase Adam, would you really be happier now with Charlie Adam in our team than Benteke?

Guess work of course but most of what we do as fans when talking about transfers is.

EDIT: Pretty sure the Dempsey thing was a no-goer and merely a way of getting Genk to pull their finger out.