Non-League Day 2012

ChrisVillan

With England playing tomorrow night and Saturday therefore being free of international, Premier League or Championship football, 13th October is this year's Non-League Day. It's the third one, and the idea is simple: if you would otherwise be at Villa, or watching England, go and see your local non-league team on Saturday instead.

I know there are a bunch of people on VT who love a bit of non-league, and I've been to more non-league football in the last few years than Villa, England and assorted other bits combined. It's good value for money, an altogether more full-blooded football experience and well worth a couple of hours out of a Saturday afternoon. Highly recommended, although Rugby Town is sometimes a bit boring.

The website lets you find your local match. Some clubs do special offers on NLD - you might get in for free or half price with your Villa ST. I'm going to Sheffield FC, for some reason.

There is some tenth tier football on a short walk from my house. I'll be buggered if I am going though.

(main reason: I'm out of town all weekend!)

There is some tenth tier football on a short walk from my house. I'll be buggered if I am going though.

(main reason: I'm out of town all weekend!)

Griff? Yeah Boro' are away, I probably wouldnt have considered going even if they were at home, but I've never been to see Griff play, and probably never will.

Other than that there's Cov Sphinx :blink:

Griff? Yeah Boro' are away, I probably wouldnt have considered going even if they were at home, but I've never been to see Griff play, and probably never will.

Other than that there's Cov Sphinx :blink:

Nuneaton is a funny area for non-league. Griff are just a wee bit too low, and Boro are (a) Boro and (B) just a wee bit too high. I've been to Rugby Town a couple of times but hardly fallen in love with them. Sheffield FC for me tomorrow.

Nuneaton is a funny area for non-league. Griff are just a wee bit too low, and Boro are (a) Boro and ( B) just a wee bit too high. I've been to Rugby Town a couple of times but hardly fallen in love with them. Sheffield FC for me tomorrow.

If you're that desperate you could go over to Beduff Utd or Atherstone Town

:puke:

No, no of course not, how silly of me, no man could the that desperate for non-league football.

I notice that the wonderfully named Shepshed Dynamo at home on this day though...that was a bit of a running joke when I was at school, singing Shepshed Dynamo songs and the like. Might have to get a few lads together and visit this mythical 'Shepshed'.

Edit - I've just googled to see where Shepshed's ground is - it's in Shepshed, ofc, which is near Loughborough. The ground is called the Dovegate, and is on a road called Butthole Lane.

BUTTHOLE LANE

I think my plans for the weekend are sorted, I'm going down the butthole, etc.

If you're that desperate you could go over to Beduff Utd or Atherstone Town

:puke:

No, no of course not, how silly of me, no man could the that desperate for non-league football.

I notice that the wonderfully named Shepshed Dynamo at home on this day though...that was a bit of a running joke when I was at school, singing Shepshed Dynamo songs and the like. Might have to get a few lads together and visit this mythical 'Shepshed'.

Edit - I've just googled to see where Shepshed's ground is - it's in Shepshed, ofc, which is near Loughborough. The ground is called the Dovegate, and is on a road called Butthole Lane.

BUTTHOLE LANE

Saw Beduff at Rugby, they are actually my local team (I think - between them and Griff). Not my style.

And that's some find on the Shepshed ground.

BUTTHOLE LANE

The British branch of Bunghole Liquors would have to locate on that street...

I went to see Horsham beat Walton 2-0. Ray Lewington was there as his son plays for them, probably saw a better standard of football than San Marino last night. They let kids in for free as well so the crowd swelled up to nearly 400 which is pretty decent

I went to Pegasus Juniors v Southam United in the FA Vase. For me the best FA knockout competition. To think that either of these teams who played in front of about 75 today could get through to play the final at Wembley is proper fairytale stuff. Anyway only Southam can do it this year as they won 2-1

Â