Google Docs

CVByrne

Right, I never use Google docs. But the fact it's a cloud based resource means it's helpful for something I'm trying to set up.

I was told to set up a spreadsheet that many people can access. It's to be a database for information on horses. Mainly quotes from trainers, injury updates etc.

So has anyone any experience in setting up a spreadsheet that many people can access? Is it possible / easy.

I'm hoping it's straight forward

Does the spreadsheet already exist?

i.e. have you already got it in excel format?

If so, just go to google docs (or google drive as I think it's now called) and hit upload. Choose your file, make sure conversion is turned on, and there you go. One google doc.

You can then share it using the share options.

I don't have much experience using it to create spreadsheets, but from what I've seen it's pretty straight forward. Just hit create --> spreadsheet, and have at it. Works in much the same way as Excel or other spreadsheet programmes.

If you've already got an excel version it's a piece of piss mate.

As I said, just make sure you've got converter switched on when you upload it and it'll be done in seconds (without converter it'll upload it as a pdf sort of file so you can't edit)

Is there a size limit on files to be uploaded to Google?

I have a spreadsheet that is 36570 rows long for work and the ability to stick it up there would greatly increase my productivity

You could have tried it in the time it took to write this :-)

Google Docs is amazing. Open a doc and share it writeable with someone else, then get them to make changes at the same time as you're editing it. Magic!

It gets really impressive when you do the same thing on a phone at the same time.

What phone do you have? Dropbox is a bit crippled in iOS. But it's still one of the best applications I've ever used. I've 50gb of the thing :)

iphone but having looked it involves download witchcraft and that's something our head of IT will just have kittens about, very fat lazy kittens if they are anything like him.

Checked out Google Dos and it seems to be the perfect solution. In fact its something the fat lazy one should have been using for a collaborative project we're doing because a team of 6 of us are working on the same project on different shifts.

Google Docs is amazing. Open a doc and share it writeable with someone else, then get them to make changes at the same time as you're editing it. Magic!

It gets really impressive when you do the same thing on a phone at the same time.

Agree with Darren on this one, I use Google Docs all the time both for work and personal use, I love Googles suite of goodies :).

• 5 months later...

Looking for a bit of advice please chaps!

I've just started using Google Docs for things like my CV. I'd obviously like to download the document as a .docx file but the format becomes messed up when opening it within Word. I thought it would then be best to download it as a .pdf document. Unfortunately, when I open it within Adobe Reader the format has changed (what was the bottom of page 1, now leaks onto page 2). Am I doing something wrong? or is that just how it is?

Just don't use it. Libre Office is free, cross platform, has vastly superior compatibility with MS Office if that's important to you, and you run no risk of being left with no office suite at all if the developers decide to tell you to **** off, like Google has done to Reader users recently.

Edited by Davkaus

Check your page settings in both the Google Doc and your PDF reader. I'm going to guess that one is set to "letter" and the other to "A4".

Just checked and they're both set to A4. It's really strange. 

EDIT: Actually limpid, you may be onto something. After looking closer, it seems that Adobe Reader displays the document in 8.26 x 11.68 inches, while Google Docs is 8.27 x 11.69 inches. I'm guessing it's that slight difference that's causing the problem. I can't seem to find where I'd make the change in Adobe Reader though. 

Edited by DCJonah

Â