Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

What I find mystifying is that give or take a couple these were the same group of players that lost 8-0, 4-0 and 3-0 to Chelsea, Spurs and Wigan all in the space of two weeks and then went on to be knocked out of the League Cup and FA Cup by Bradford and Millwall respectively.  They look like completely different players now.

Based on our late December/January form we were going down there's no doubt about that. Luckily things have picked up since then.

I really think loosing Vlaar tipped us over the edge - we were (are) lightweight on senior pro's - and for few games we had a defence full of rookies. Since then we have steadily improved - our defence is still very weak though - and needs serious attention for next season.

Vlaar missed about 7 games - other than that we have been lucky with injuries this season. A proper injury crisis and we would be dead and buried - we really need bolster for next season - hope Lambo\Lerner\Faulkner realize this

As I said on here over the weekend,  we could all be in a position of not caring about the Wigan game,  in fact looking for a Wigan win to relegate the barcodes (or now the mackems)

You've been moaning over the last few weeks stating that we'd be relegated.

I think he even went to far as to say it was a foregone conclusion at one point too

After we lost 8-0 at Chelsea, 4-0 to Spurs & 3-0 to Wigan I think it would be fair to state that the majority of Villa fans thought relegation to be a foregone conclusion so there is no shame there for Richard.

Let's be totally honest here, We all felt it!

I didn't think it. Not being smug, and we're obviously not safe yet, but I did think this season was never going to be easy and I could see we were struggling with injuries over that period. I kept the faith, three bad results are three bad results, that's all. The closest I've been to thinking we had a big task ahead, and really might be in for it, was probably the last time we got into the relegation zone a couple of weeks ago. We had to get results though, and we're doing well so far. This season is night and day to last season, and it was obvious from the very start. McLeish had us going one way, at least with Lambert we were trying to solve the financial problems of the last few year whilst also trying to play better football, with a sustainable squad. If Lambert keeps us up this season he has done a MASSIVE job—reduced the wage bill, refreshed the squad, and had us, once he got the team to gel, playing football the right way. He's already done a massive job as far as I can see it. That's clear as long as you look at any other stat/game/performance OTHER than the goals against. We let in more goals this season but we also never played for a 0-0 draw, which makes a big difference. 

We have the same points as last season now, with about £20million a season less going out on wages, a young team, three games to go, etc etc etc. Keep it going Lambert. As I say, the season is more than three games.

Our form since the Newcastle game - W5 D2 L4 goals F22 A18. The 4 defeats came against Arsenal, City, Liverpool and United. Three of those on another day we might have picked up a point.

Form is with us. We've the best chance of all of them IMO.

Yeah when you look at it like that, it's very promising. A win next weekend would be huge and while we've been beating teams around us of late, Norwich have been shocking.

Look at the team we played against Wigan and Lichaj, Holman, Herd and Ireland all started these are just awful footballers at this level. All these replaced by Vlaar, Gabby, Westwood and Delph.

Same players against Chelsea too, and Spurs pretty much. It's no coincidence we got nailed. 

I think it's taken half a season for lambert to figure out who isnt up to it (Herd, Holman, Ireland, Lichaj). He clearly came in initially with an agenda to boot the bad apples out immediately - Dunne Collins & Warnock - a poisonous trio .

He's now finally got his squad together and it's very gradually getting there. There is still work to do so I won't get carried away but last night was really pleasing.

I went through our games since new year and our form has improved since Ireland haven't been even on the bench, maybe it's just coincidence but I wonder if there's something else going on.

Such as ?

As you have implied we weren't winning games - and Ireland has always been erratic. Lambert just couldn't persist any longer - Delph has come good - Westwood and now Sylla are now holding there own.

I went through our games since new year and our form has improved since Ireland haven't been even on the bench, maybe it's just coincidence but I wonder if there's something else going on.

Such as ?

As you have implied we weren't winning games - and Ireland has always been erratic. Lambert just couldn't persist any longer - Delph has come good - Westwood and now Sylla are now holding there own.

I was just wondering if Ireland's been one of the disrupting things in the dressing room and bench.

Such as ?

I was just wondering if Ireland's been one of the disrupting things in the dressing room and bench.

Well there is levels of disruption - I don't suppose ireland is pleased not be in the team - but I doubt there is much beyond that

Such as ?

Well there is levels of disruption - I don't suppose ireland is pleased not be in the team - but I doubt there is much beyond that

Yeah, probably true. For all his faults, Ireland doesn't seem to be that kind of problem players.

Such as ?

Yeah, probably true. For all his faults, Ireland doesn't seem to be that kind of problem players.

No - I think he is a lazy fool - who is tossing his undoubted Talent down the drain. But I don't think he could be bothered to make to much of a nuisance of himself.  Perhaps when he is 45 and fat, he may just wonder what might have been.

• Like 1

Still need 3 more points to be completely safe. Will not relax until we reach 40 points.

Our biggest danger now is complecency. QPR had 2 back to back wins before we turned them over at Villa Park. Similarly, Sunderland arrived here yesterday cock-a-hoop on the back of Mussolini's bullshit & look what happened to them.

Over confidence can easily back fire & personally I will not switch off or relax until mathematical genius Sir Isaac Newton says it's safe to do so.

• Like 3

I the the phrase "Ireland's Undoubted talent" is utter bull shit. He's awful.

LOL - I think the talent is there - but he just can't apply himself. - Time up for me though - get rid.

Ireland has always been a luxery player  & I agree he definitely doesn't know how to apply & unlock his undoubted attacking prowess. Sadly at Villa Park he is a fish out of water & was signed `In Limbo` . Remember he linked up so well with Robbie Keane last season because they were both on the same wavelength. He also did this famously with Robinho & Man Citeh!

Most Villa fans like him because of his natural attacking flair but personally & especially so last season I preferred Chris Herd who bailed Ireland out many a time with last ditch tackles that should have been made by Ireland who has no defensive awareness &n had just switched off.

Also, I believe Chris Herd is an extremely underated & versatile player who can play RB, CB & accross midfield & is exceptional as a defensive holding Midfield player & shows great potential at Centre Back which I believe would blossom alongside more experienced players & over an extended period of time.

Just my opinion mind.

• Like 1

Predictor after weekend's games. Villa to beat Norwich (3-1), West Spam to beat Newcastle (2-1), Sunderland to beat Stoke(1-0) and Baggies to Wigan (2-1). 

Table:

Sunderland 40 -11

Villa 40 -20

Norwich 38 -23

Newcastle 37 -24

Wigan 32 -24