Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I think 2 more victories will be enough, but that's on the assumption that we'd pick up the odd draw here and there to get us to 39 points. I think that total would see us stay up.

Edited by Stevo985

Some of you may enjoy playing around with this... you can change the seasons and the weeks to see league tables at the same stage in previous years.

This might not be a surprise but having 30 points at this stage of the season doesn't even remotely make us safe from relegation.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/league-table.html?season=2011-2012&month=MARCH&timelineView=date&toDate=1332633599999&tableView=CURRENT_STANDINGS

I was optimistic of avoiding the drop until I watched Wigan win (thanks to the ludicrous decision not to send off McMananaman and the handball goal in injury time).

I fear for us as unless we are 4 points or more ahead of Wigan going into the final day of the season, with our goal difference they will know that they just have to beat us to stay up. I hope our players can rise to that occasion if it arises, their players have been there many times before.

Sunderland are in the mix, but I see them getting wins at home to Stoke and Southampton later in the season, with a couple of draws thrown in which would give them 39, probably enough.

There'll be twists and turns, I'm praying Gabby, Benteke and Weimann can fire us to safety, I'm sure lots of teams in the bottom 6 would like that front 3!

Edited by AvfcTheObsession

I'd forgotten that we only had 38 points at the end of last season. We were pretty lucky weren't we?!

Absolutely we were, but it felt different because we got to mid 30 points with about 9 or 10 games left and then just capitulated. If the season was 39 games long we would have been relegated.

One or two people here who are against Lambert have stated we were better under McLeish but the underlying fact is that this team is on the way up whereas McLeish's was well and truly on the way down. I'm sure if he was still here this season we would have about 20 points by now with no light at the end of the tunnel.

I've still got hopes for Wigan's demise despite yesterday's result. If Man United play like they did against Reading then Sunderland can definitely take something off them - it would be hilarious if MO'N  contrived to relegate them. I think we're playing better than we were this time last season and we've got goals in us. I'm cautiously optimistic.

I've still got hopes for Wigan's demise despite yesterday's result. If Man United play like they did against Reading then Sunderland can definitely take something off them - it would be hilarious if MO'N  contrived to relegate them. I think we're playing better than we were this time last season and we've got goals in us. I'm cautiously optimistic.

If Sunderland can take something off Man U then so can we.

last season, 17th and 18th had 28 points and joint -19 GD after 30 games, when 37 points was enough for 17th place (18th had 36).

This season, us and Wigan may be joint 30 points after 30 games, so it looks like a projected 38-39 points could be needed.

I think Wigan will escape again, but Sunderland will go down.

In theory, yes. But i still have no confidence in our defenders to keep anyone from scoring, let alone Manure. You would think they would have improved by this late in the season, but they ae still making fundimental mistakes both collectively and individually.

Now the Midfield is beginning to tick, and with Delphs return, they may start getting more protection?

In theory, yes. But i still have no confidence in our defenders to keep anyone from scoring, let alone Manure. You would think they would have improved by this late in the season, but they ae still making fundimental mistakes both collectively and individually.

Now the Midfield is beginning to tick, and with Delphs return, they may start getting more protection?

Thats the worry for me. Despite the recent improvements, the defence looks almost as bad as ever - if it doesn't improve that will undermine us.

Despite the recent improvements, the defence looks almost as bad as ever

Do you really believe that?

The defence is as bad as ever?

I'll concede that the defence is hardly awe inspiring. But it's a shit tonne better than it has been at times this season.

I'll concede that the defence is hardly awe inspiring. But it's a shit tonne better than it has been at times this season.

Read carefully - *almost* as bad as ever  ......ie likley to concede - don't see us winning many 1-0

Edited by smetrov

Read carefully - *almost* as bad as ever  ......ie likley to concede - don't see us winning many 1-0

Why has our goal difference improved then if its the same as its always been?

Why has our goal difference improved then if its the same as its always been?

Its only improved by +3 - 3 narrow victories - still no clean sheets - whatever - the defence is still very much our weak spot, that could send us down

Fair enough, I did miss the "almost"!

Not much of a change from last time through for our chances

QPR: 59% 20th, 31% 19th, 7% 18th, 3% stay up

Reading: 38% 20th, 45% 19th, 12% 18th, 6% stay up

Villa: 1% 20th, 10% 19th, 34% 18th, 55% stay up

Wigan: 2% 20th, 11% 19th, 26% 18th, 61% stay up

Sunderland: 1% 19th, 12% 18th, 87% stay up

Southampton: 1% 19th, 4% 18th, 95% stay up

West Ham: 2% 18th, 98% stay up

Norwich 1% 18th, 99% stay up

Newcastle: 1% 18th, 99% stay up