Car dealers

villarule123

So I'm going to see my local Hyundai dealer tomorrow, the car he quoted over the phone would be £187 a month over 4 years.

However, I've found the same car on drivethedeal.com for £164 a month over 4 years via a bank loan.

Am I likely to get this matched or will he be a stubborn bastard? I don't want the hassle or getting a bank loan and travelling to London to get the cheaper deal as things stand.

Total car noob here so be nice.

You might not get the price fully matched, but always worth a try. Just remember it's not personal it's just a game and at any point you can buy or walk away. You can be a full on nob, and at the end of it he'll still take your money off you so don't worry about upsetting him. At no point will he agree to a deal that puts him in trouble or loses him money.

Explain that your missus knows about the other offer - but you want to buy from your local dealer, so you need him to help by getting closer to that price or offering some other sort of compensation.

The first time he says he can't reduce his price, thank him for his time, agree it's a pain because you were hoping to buy today - and walk away. Make sure he has your mobile number. Hey, if you get a fiver off, that's a good few quid over four years (I am a maths and economics genius).

I saw a 58 plate BMW 730i fully loaded up for £9000 the other day

Thats a lot of car for 9k

It's a lot for spare parts as well, a 7-series is fooooking expensive to maintain, not to be forgotten when bargain-hunting.

Don't disagree, but it's a seriously well built machine and probably will be massively ok for 200,000 miles

Awesome car for that sort of lolly

& you can easily get 3 sets of clubs in the boot

I went in today and he offered it me for £7500, with a further £250 discounted if I put down a £250 deposit myself.

However, it would be on a 'PCP' finance, where I pay off £3200 for the first 2 years and finance the remaining balance for the 2 years after that. Or hand them the car back and have a minimum value of the car.

Has anyone done this before? It would work out at £4000 less than the other website but isn't there a danger of the APR rate going up in the next 2 years?

that's how I've bought my last three cars

I'd expect your apr to be fixed for the term, mine always has been

for info, the highest interest rate I've paid at a dealer in many years is 5%, last time a couple of years ago it was 2.5%

I know Fiat at the same time were trying to do me for 18% and grudgingly offered 12% when I said I was going elsewhere, I pointed out 12 was still higher than 2.5 but thanks for trying

when interest can vary from 18 to 2.5 it makes a mockery of the price they stick on the windscreen

couple of things to watch

if you intend handing it back, watch your mileage, they will charge you pennies for every mile you go over the agreed number (usually between 8 and 10 thousand). Price per over mile varies, somewhere between 5p and 15p. First time I did that I sailed over the agreed by 20,000 miles at 7p a mile! 20,000 7p's turned out to be a decent amount of money. Made it cheaper to keep the car.

Once I'd done the original 3 years their apr was going to go up if I used them for the extended period, so I got a bank loan with a lower apr and paid them off.

Thing is, once you work out they will drop the price AND the interest rate in different garages varies, you suddenly realise a much wider variety of cars might be in your range than would appear by looking at adverts and window prices.

I saw a 58 plate BMW 730i fully loaded up for £9000 the other day

Thats a lot of car for 9k

It's a lot for spare parts as well, a 7-series is fooooking expensive to maintain, not to be forgotten when bargain-hunting.

I love this kind of missinformation, it keeps people from competing with me for 7 series motors and pushing the prices up.

I went in today and he offered it me for £7500, with a further £250 discounted if I put down a £250 deposit myself.

However, it would be on a 'PCP' finance, where I pay off £3200 for the first 2 years and finance the remaining balance for the 2 years after that. Or hand them the car back and have a minimum value of the car.

Has anyone done this before? It would work out at £4000 less than the other website but isn't there a danger of the APR rate going up in the next 2 years?

The issue is not the price of the car or the feelgood factor of the deal you can cut, but the cost of the finance you will be paying the bank over the lifetime of the loan. Your in-passing mention of one deal costing £4K MORE THAN THE OTHER sort of makes that point. This is head and shoulders above any other consideration.

My advice would be to buy a car you can afford, and stay well clear of the extortionate shyster deals you seem about to be locked in to. It's madness.

Also, work out exactly what you are trying to buy. Do you want transport, carrying capacity, or some sort of self-defined status? Presumably not the last, if you're buying Hyundai rather than bmw 7 series. So what can you get for a more reasonable price? I bought something the other week for under £2k, does 45 mpg mixed use, carries everything I ever managed in previous cars plus a bike as well, and is comfortable for long journeys. And I'm not paying stupid percentages to some **** salesman acting as a front for a banker.

Â