Falcao - the World's best striker?

Who is the best striker in the World at present?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best striker in the World at present?

• Falcao
    • van Persie
    • Aguero
    • Rooney
    • Neymar

I'd argue that this guy is the best striker in the World at the moment. If you haven't seen his goal versus America de Cali from yesterday, check it out:

http://soccersagacity.wordpress.com/2012/05/20/falcao-and-torres-contrasting-fortunes-of-two-of-europes-very-best/

Where do you guys think he'll end up next season? Can you imagine if we'd signed him up from River Plate for under 4 million Euros?!

NOTE: When I say 'striker' I'm not including Messi nor Ronaldo - neither of which are 'true' strikers despite the fact that they are both outstanding in that position. For the sake of this question I'm discussing what you'd call an out-and-out striker.

I'd like to see him some more as I've not really seen how he is in general play. Can he hold it up? How's his passing? Is he intelligent? Banging in a few worldies doesn't make you the best forward in the world.

Of the players you've offered, I'd pick Rooney as the best of them but he isn't a "true" striker; Ronaldo is more so now I'd say.

There was meant to be an 'Other' option on the poll!

I'd argue Ronaldo is still a winger, although he plays very fluidly. At Madrid, Benzema is the central focal point and CR/Di Maria swap wings in attempts to find space, hence why I wouldn't class Ronaldo as a striker.

On Falcao - his hold up play is excellent. Technically he is fantastic - good close control, good movement, awesome heading ability, can score goals from anywhere. He really is a complete player. Similar to Aguero in my mind. Perhaps not as good at dictating play as Rooney, but a better all-round finisher IMO.

Far from scoring a few worldies, here are his stats for the past three years (all competitions):

2009-10 (Porto) - 34 goals

2010-11 (Porto) - 41 goals

2011-12 (Atletico Madrid) - 36 goals

Falcao has impressed in the few games I have seen him. I think he will go to a top club soon.

The Europa league final was of a higher quality and more exciting then the champions league final this year.

Falcao has impressed in the few games I have seen him. I think he will go to a top club soon.

The Europa league final was of a higher quality and more exciting then the champions league final this year.

The Europa league always is more exciting, whereas the Champions League is all about who has more money, the Europa League is about who wants it most.

Maybe, but last years Manchester v Barcelona game was much better than the Porto Braga europa final.

When it comes to the Europa league I only watch the final so cant really judge it.

Except Villa has been injured for 6 months and you can never tell how someone will come back after a broken leg.

On topic though, it all depends on your definition of what makes a great striker. If its all about goals then RVP wins hands down. Singe handedly got Arsenal 3rd. If it is about your all round game and not goals so much then Rooney out of those probably.

Do think Falcao is fantastic though, said on twitter last night that deserves to go to a top, top club. Imagine him and Aguero up front for City (or Atlético if he'd have stayed). Those 2 would be unstoppable.

And have to mention Neymar, most certainly got the potential to become the best striker/player in the world.

Here's another great goal by Falcao:

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/videos/124649/falcao-keeps-on-keeping-on-scores-brilliant-scissor-kick-vs-millionarios-video.html

Rhys - I have to agree, if I were Mancini I would ship Tevez/Dzeko and do anything I can to partner Falcao and Aguero, they would be unstoppable.

Neymar also has the potential to be the very best, as you mentioned. It is important that he gets the right advice and keeps his head on, as he already has Beckham-esc status in Brazil, and we've seen what the Brazilian 'party' mentality can do to even the greatest talents (see Ronaldinho).

Â