SPECULATION: Danny Guthrie/L. Best/Danny Simpson (Newcastle)

Villan4Life

telegraph

Joining him on the Newcastle departure list are striker Leon Best and midfielder Danny Guthrie who are both expected to sign to Aston Villa.

Villa owner Randy Lerner has stressed to Alex McLeish he must get value for money and Guthrie will be available on a Bosman free transfer, while Best will be allowed to leave for around £1.5m.

Guthrie, who was signed from Liverpool for £1m four years ago, has been a key player in Newcastle’s excellent season, but he is frustrated at only being considered back up to first choice centre-midfield pairing Cheick Tiote and Yohan Cabaye.

Best has also done reasonably well on Tyneside, despite initially struggling for goals and form when he moved from Coventry City to join the Magpies Championship promotion charge in January 2010.

The Republic of Ireland international scored six goals in 12 games following the sale of Andy Carroll to Liverpool last year, but has scored just once since September and has been replaced by £10m arrival Papiss Demba Cissé.

sun

NEWCASTLE have told Leon Best and Danny Simpson they can leave — if the price is right Toon top brass have given up on trying to get full-back Simpson to sign a new deal after he rejected their last, improved offer of £25,000 a week.

Striker Best has fallen way down the pecking order following injuries and the arrival of Senegal star Papiss Cisse.

Aston Villa have shown an interest in both players in the past and are set to launch bids this summer as boss Alex McLeish tries to bolster his wafer-thin squad.

Simpson is out of Sunday’s final game at Everton with an ankle injury.

Guthrie, who was signed from Liverpool for £1m four years ago, has been a key player in Newcastle’s excellent season, but he is frustrated at only being considered back up to first choice centre-midfield pairing Cheick Tiote and Yohan Cabaye.

Isn't this a bit contradicting?

I'd take both Simpson and Guthrie in a heart beat.

CI we do need another FB if we are to rebuild our defence especially when Simpson is much better than what we have at the moment.

I'd take both Simpson and Guthrie in a heart beat.

CI we do need another FB if we are to rebuild our defence especially when Simpson is much better than what we have at the moment.

I agree with this. I think Guthrie is no world beater but still vastly under rated by most, very tidy footballer.

Lichaj and Hutton are out current right back options, both of which would probably improve under a different manager. Therefore, Simpson isn't vital really but is undoubtedly a good player.

Guthrie's alright & I'd take Simpson if it meant Hutton going, but it'll be pretty depressing if we're after multiple Newcastle cast-offs.

I understand what you're saying but they have played a significant part in a very successful season for Newcastle, it's not like they have been sat on the bench all year.

Simpson's not really a cast off. According to the tabloids he has turned down Newcastle's final contract offer and is probably looking for a better offer elsewhere and he will get it.

Guthrie could be deemed a cast off but with Newcastle's current two central midfielders there's not much chance of him dislodging either so probably wants to go elsewhere for first team football.

I actually believe Guthrie, although not a big name signing, could give us a nice balance in midfield with Ireland. Petrov's replacement perhaps?

simpson and guthrie would be reasonably decent signings if they were on 20k max wages

Simpson according to 'The Sun' has turned down Newcastle's final contract offer of 25 grand per week so he's not coming here for less.

Guthrie's alright & I'd take Simpson if it meant Hutton going, but it'll be pretty depressing if we're after multiple Newcastle cast-offs.

I understand what you're saying but they have played a significant part in a very successful season for Newcastle, it's not like they have been sat on the bench all year.

They've played a part in it, but let's face it, it's the core team of Krul, Coloccini, Taylor (until injury), Tiote, Cabaye, Gutierrez, Ben Arfa, Ba and Cisse who've got them where they are.

Likes of Simpson and Guthrie are like O'Shea and Darren Gibson were for Man Utd - functional elements of the team when played, but completely replaceable. Hence Newcastle are willing to let Simpson's contract run out.

Â