SPECULATION: Danny Guthrie/L. Best/Danny Simpson (Newcastle)

Villan4Life

My pal is a newcastle fan and he has told me that Guthrie is pretty good. He said he knows Guthrie will be leaving which is understandable because of his lack of playing time. From the good things I heard, I would take Guthrie.

Not going to lie, Guthrie is a pretty decent player and showed that when he played against us at SJP. But would I stifle the development of say, Gardner (who isn't a whole lot worse and hastl the potential to be even better)? No, I wouldn't.

Considering the price they're being rumoured to be leaving for, they'd be excellent signings.

A handful of solid players like this is what we need (second to a new manager, of course).

If we can get a solid core to the team and get our top players like Bent and Ireland playing well then we can be a decent team again. People who think we're going to go out there and spend 20m are leaving in dreamland, unless they also want to see the likes of Bent leave.

Best would likely do a better job things by for under half the wages and a small transfer fee of we're being honest about it. If we were to be selling gabby I'd happily have best in as our bench man with bent and Weimann taking the first 2 attacking positions

What kind if money is being bandied about for the trio? If we could get then for £6m or less i think itd be a super bit of business once they weren't being signed as cast iron starters or anything.

Sure in wages the 3 of them wouldn't cost much more than heskey on his own

My pal is a newcastle fan and he has told me that Guthrie is pretty good. He said he knows Guthrie will be leaving which is understandable because of his lack of playing time. From the good things I heard, I would take Guthrie.

There is a post like this in every speculation thread. No offense pal, but you go to a Newcastle forum and you will find some people who think he is amazing if given a chance, a decent player or rubbish and no problem if he left. Just so happens your pal is a in the middle of that, but it doesn't actually make his opinion any stronger than the rest of the Newcastle forumites.

Heard Delph was going to be the next Gerrard, that Bardsley was a few games away from England quality, Ireland should be playing for Barcelona and all sorts. I take everything with a pinch of salt.

My personal opinion of Guthrie is that he is a poor mans Milner. Still much better than what we have currently though. I'd take him.

We have to be realistic

We are shopping for bargains

I think this has been the problem for a while.

not the fact we are shopping for "bargains" but more so in the way we go about it, Villa (as a club) have been signing PL cast offs/rejects for years now and it doesn't seem to be changing with McLeish in charge (I didn't expect it to change) but as a club we are so behind in scouting/finding value abroad it's actually quite sad.

Very average players on high contracts - i'm afraid these 3 will just add to it.

These three do not set the pulse racing and will not sell season tickets. It seems if we are looking to sign 3 players for the sort of outlay on transfer fees that we should be looking to spend on one player if we are looking to improve on what we already have or had so any hopes of a reasonable transfer budget this summer seem likely to be pie in the sky again if this is a demonstration of our buying power and we will be shopping at Aldi rather than Waitrose in the new window. :cry:

Three fringe players who Newcastle are willing to let go? Has Chris Hughton given us a list of his transfer targets already? :winkold:

Best has always surprised me when playing, I alwys thought he´d look dangerous. Guthrie is another one I always liked. Simpson is decent.

All three would walk into our team at the moment. Think of it what you like but that is how I see it.

When we look for bargains we sign Guthrie, Simpson and Best.

Newcastle, who were doing the same thing signed Tiote, Ba, Marveaux, Santon and Cabaye.

Don't look at British cast-offs. Wages are ridiculous and if they likely aren't good enough. Simpson has done very well this season in fairness to him but he is not a great right back and I suspect as soon as he is taken out of Newcastle's miracle team he will be about as good as Hutton (on a good day) again.

If we're going to sign British it should be young talent looking upwards. Clyne or Zaha ahead of Simpson and Best. Bigger transfers should come from abroad. I'll be deeply pissed off if we piss money up the wall with Guthrie and Best.

Would take Guthrie for sure but not the other two.

Guthrie is a solid premier league player who is good on ball - exactly what our midfield has lacked at times.

I take the point about him stifling someone like Gardner however we have seen this season that we need some experience around these kids. If we plan to rely on them on mass again we will get relegated for sure.

In any event I see Guthrie as a bigger threat to Herd than Gardner different types of players.

On Leon Best I would not see him as a positive addition to first team. Don;'t see him as an improvement to Gabby/Wiemann for example.

On Danny Simpson a player I like but unless we are selling Hutton (please god, please) then what's the point when we have Lichaj as decent cover.

Â