All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

From now on VT I am your god. You shall worship me, and me only. Now carry on...

will you be asking for money?

that's a question I like to ask of any religion to get a quick feel for it's legitimacy

oh, and will following your rules or guidelines get anyone anywhere hurt?

do you have strong opinions on what I should eat or what I should wear?

four no's and you're doing well

From now on VT I am your god. You shall worship me, and me only. Now carry on...

that's a question I like to ask of any religion to get a quick feel for it's legitimacy

Wouldn't be much of a religion if RV says no.

You only asked three questions though, would he need to be omni-numerous too?

suarez is a member, the clue is right there in terms of what you eat. Everyone shall be naked and yes of course you have to bring me money.

money

harm

clothes

food

4 questions shirley?

or are we already having a splinter group who think the last two were a single question, a split which in the future will lead to war and illicit romance between the factions?

I'm not even sure what omni numerous means tbh, but I'll presume it means 'in the very dark deep back of the head along with self, empathy and fear of spiders', in which case, probably yes.

• Like 1

suarez is a member, the clue is right there in terms of what you eat. Everyone shall be naked and yes of course you have to bring me money.

15271d1348477283-islam-depictions-muhamm

I declare war with you and your people, satan laughing spreads his wings....OH LORD YEAH!

War on CED and his people would be like the mission on GTA V where Trevor guns down a bunch of hipsters.

I think chrisp65 and CED are in league with each other, already they are trying to create a split in my world

CED is the funniest guy on VT so that would certainly make me lean more towards him than your 3 headed pay per view naked devil god if I'm honest.

People seem pretty certain that god does not exist.

I tend to think it is a socially useful fiction which serves a purpose.

But what of love, isn't that also a socially useful fiction, which relies on a mixture of projection and the right levels of oxytocin.

Atheists don't seem to be so keen to apply the same forensic analysis of a useful fiction they rely on themselves.

No, that's fine. The causes of love are complex, but can be explained in terms of evolutionary biology. And it can be subjectively experienced and described by poetry, art, etc. These things are not mutually exclusive. The science takes nothing away from the pleasure (and pain). But the point is that love has no separate existence outside our brains. Which would also be a fair description of 'god(s)' - but the believers won't have it, they insist that their god has an independent existence, rather than being a psychological phenomenon.

A reading of William James' (Varieties of Religious Experience) reveals, that for many, religion is just as much an emotional experience as love.

And definitely celebrated in song and verse, just like love.

And wasn't romantic love a relatively modern innovation?

But look at the different way the two emotional experiences are treated by many atheists (not you Limpid).

If someone declares that they believe in god/religion, certain atheists (not you Limpid) will try to convince them of their error, or ridicule them with 'flying spaghetti monster' jokes.

If someone else tells the same person that they are in love, it will likely be greeted with no comment at all, or congratulations (some of the soppy kind). They certainly won't be told that Dawkins offers convincing evidence that they are deluded and that their feelings are a predictable biological response, and that their feelings towards the object are merely self-serving delusions motivated by their 'selfish genes'.

New Scientist might publish articles titled 'The Love Delusion' but there are no best-sellers of that name, as far as I am aware.

There just isn't the appetite for ridiculing love or licence for cynical attacks on people's assertions about love, like there is about religion.

So why the double double-standard?

Perhaps because those who believe in love don't preach about its existence, they don't stand on corners handing out leaflets about it (not since the 60's anyway) or knock on peoples doors to try and convert them to being believers. They don't fight wars over it, kill over it, commit genocide over it or on a more day to day level try and indoctrinate, dominate and influence the lives of other and society as a whole with it.

You raise some excellent points you really do and I very much enjoy your posts.

But personally I think that there are quite sizable differences in the two, though both fundamentally the same and that results in the different treatment.

Love is a feeling and yes while religion can also be seen as such there is far more to it, there is a belief in something physical in the embodiment of God's son here on earth. Now if people who believed in love also believe in cupid and his bow and arrow or they started shutting shops on Tuesdays because it was Cupid's day of rest that attitudes might be more closely aligned. P

Anyway... I feel the need to end this post with the words of the great philosopher Hawkins, Justin Hawkins that is....

I believe in a thing called love
Just listen to the rhythm of my heart
There's a chance we could make it now
We'll be rocking 'til the sun goes down
I believe in a thing called love
Ooh!
  • Like 2

Â