The Old Bull Ring Birmingham

Dodgyknees

As some of you know, I live on the Isle of Wight. Bit shit, sometimes good. Anyway, was out in Ryde today and came across a massive amount of old Villa programmes (awesome!) and got them for cheap, perfect reminder of the days before the 'Ginger Destruction' and then walked up (Union Street) a big hill, saw a painting in a charity top (title of said painting in subject heading)..

Thought it strange.... but hey!

osy16p.jpg

Ace. We were talking about this in the YouTube thread, and I made the point that what many of you were referring to as the "old" Bull Ring (i.e. the one recently redeveloped) was what I still think of as the "new" Bull Ring (I'm sure John Lerwill and one or two ther VTers will agree). This painting while clearly even before "my" time (!) is much as I remember it as a very small boy when my mom took me shopping down there.

Did you buy the picture?

I thought this thread would be a comedy anecdote about the concrete one which stunk of piss and was full of muggers back in the 1990s. :(

my old man has the same painting!

My old fella loved this painting and gave it to me before he passed away.

I'm pretty sure that I have seen other local scenes by Calvert, but this is the one that I bump into the most.

I believe you could of got one of these in the past as part of a deal with the Birmingham post but just looking online I saw one being sold for £25 but the one you have there is signed.

Â