Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be so funny if we have a thread that is about 5-600 pages long at the end of the january transfer window dedicated to Phil Bardsley! :crylaugh:

However, i do think there will be at least 2 more players coming in. It can get frustrating, i'm sure it is for all managers and fans of over clubs too. But I'm sure MON will do the best he can...even if it's not his 'Plan A' targets.

O'Neill has walked away from at least one deal so far. Ashley Young I imagine.

I'm not paying silly money

By JANINE SELF

January 13, 2007

COMMENT ON THIS STORY

MARTIN O’NEILL has promised Aston Villa chairman Randy Lerner: I won’t let anyone rip you off.

American billionaire Lerner is desperate to back boss O’Neill in the transfer market.

But the manager has revealed he has already given up on at least one deal this week because of over-the-top demands from the selling club.

O’Neill said: “I don’t mind paying a shilling or two over the odds but I don’t want to be paying ridiculous amounts for people that have a certain value.

“I have walked away on at least one occasion since the transfer window opened because of that.

“The chairman is here in the UK, he is very supportive of everything I am trying to do but I will not be forced into paying a lot more money than the player is really worth.â€

Villa have had a £7million offer for Watford’s Ashley Young rejected and are also in the hunt for Shaun Wright-Phillips of Chelsea on loan. Liverpool’s Craig Bellamy is another target.

O’Neill has signed Manchester United’s Phil Bardsley on loan for the rest of the season although the right-back will not be allowed to play today when Villa go to Old Trafford for the second successive weekend.

And the Ulsterman insists he will stick with what he has got if selling clubs continue to add another zero when he makes an enquiry.

O’Neill said: “If we are unable to do things in January, so be it. I know that we need to strengthen but I have confidence in these players to get us through the season.â€

Villa have not won for 11 games.And O’Neill has targeted the next stretch of games as crucial.

He said: “I would think every manager outside the top four would have that 40-point target in the back of their minds but I am not panicking yet. We’ve had a tough month with three games against Manchester United and one against Chelsea.

“But we are now looking at a run of fixtures where we have to be competing and winning.

“Of course I’m concerned about results but we have not been playing as badly as they would suggest.â€

O’Neill yesterday allowed Eric Djemba-Djemba to move to Burnley until the end of the season and finalised the £300,000 sale of Peter Whittingham to Cardiff.

clicky

Agree with him not paying silly money for a player such as Young or whomever it is, expect it to be him.

He is the 7M player, he ain't worth more than that. Unproven and hardly a world-beater in the making.

Still, zero players signed. Bardsley is a good player, but he will vanish before the end-product is finished.

That sums it up nicely i think.

• [*:8c4f9dc896] We are trying to get players.
    [*:8c4f9dc896] We won't have our pants pulled down over the price. (with Boothroyd using lube as well)
    [*:8c4f9dc896] If that continues so be it, we won't sign anyone.
    [*:8c4f9dc896] If the above doesn't happen, we will sign players.

If anyone aint happy with the above, oh dear....

I saw the Watford manager being interviewed and he is way way way out of line in his expectations for selling Young. I realize he doesn't have much support but the kid only has 3 goals and it's a big risk to pay 9 million for him. Berbatov was 2nd leading scorer in the Bundesliga and he went for 2 million more than that. Andy Johnson at least had success in the premiership and he went for 8.5? Kuyt was 2nd leading goalscorer in Holland and he went for 9 million. Ashley Young for 9 million is a joke. You compare the prices in August to now and it's ridiculous.

I saw the Watford manager being interviewed and he is way way way out of line in his expectations for selling Young. I realize he doesn't have much support but the kid only has 3 goals and it's a big risk to pay 9 million for him. Berbatov was 2nd leading scorer in the Bundesliga and he went for 2 million more than that. Andy Johnson at least had success in the premiership and he went for 8.5? Kuyt was 2nd leading goalscorer in Holland and he went for 9 million. Ashley Young for 9 million is a joke. You compare the prices in August to now and it's ridiculous.

Youngs a winger.

Youngs a winger.

I know but still he doesn't compare to those players.

With the squad we have now Villa are in a very dangerous position. Injuries and we might end up a Championship team next season!

MON has to buy players...at least 3-4 new signings is a must!

If Mon believed this current squad was in danger of being relegated then if he couldn't get the players he wants to move us forward he would sign stop gaps till the end of the season. You can rest assured though that Mon is no fool and if he believes, as appears to be the case, that this squad is good enough to finish above the relegation zone then thats good enough for me. For what its worth I believe that this squad, although small, is way too good to go down.

Fair play to Mon as although it appears Randy is willing to be back him to the hilt he is not prepared to pay over the odds for any player.

With the squad we have now Villa are in a very dangerous position. Injuries and we might end up a Championship team next season!

If Mon believed this current squad was in danger of being relegated then if he couldn't get the players he wants to move us forward he would sign stop gaps till the end of the season. You can rest assured though that Mon is no fool and if he believes, as appears to be the case, that this squad is good enough to finish above the relegation zone then thats good enough for me. For what its worth I believe that this squad, although small, is way too good to go down.

Fair play to Mon as although it appears Randy is willing to be back him to the hilt he is not prepared to pay over the odds for any player.

Some good points Mark but on current form we have every chance of falling into the relegation dogfight which is very worrying.

As good a manager MON is, he did take Leicetser down.

Some good points Mark but on current form we have every chance of falling into the relegation dogfight which is very worrying.

As good a manager MON is, he did take Leicetser down.

No he didn't he finished each season in the top 10 I think.

Peter Taylor, after spending lots of money on people like Akinbiyi, got Leicester relegated.

Lauren is available at the end of the season on a free i dont know why O'Neill doesnt go in for him and either buy him now for 1m or somethin or get him for free at the end of the season. In my eyes there arent many better right backs in the premiership.