The NFL Draft

Soccer doesn't have an equivalent to the combine. As Dante says, NFL players have very specific abilities based on their positions. Soccer doesn't really work like that and because of it's worldwide nature and varying approaches to coaching etc, soccer is much more a subjective assessment of players and of fitting them into many different kinds of systems.

I understand that, but I wonder to what degree physical projections play a part.

I played pro hockey, and I know there were scouts at tournaments that would show up and just cross off every player below a certain size. Though I was a bit small, my all around talent and vision of the game was on par with top players, but my size, while not a complete hindrance, was a reason to go after a larger player with a similar and in some cases less talented skill set. Smaller players with some sort of special skill would be looked at however.

In the scouting combine you have certain measurements taken that are designed to understand what a prospects "potential" could be. As an example, corner backs are measured in a shuttle run to see how they move their hips, tackles have their arms measured, etc. These are designed to understand how high a "ceiling" they might have or if they will always be limited to some degree.

I look at the Chelsea teams during the Mourinho era, and let's say Bayern now and they have these skilled players who are big, strong, and powerful. Perhaps they are no "better" than a mid-table player, but have these physical attributes that put them over the top.

Furthermore, and more interesting, would be the "moneyball" win shares analyses. What are the statistics (e.g. possession, crosses, dribbles, passing percentages) that equate into a more possible chance at winning? Have you guys ever seen anything like that for football? The NBA, a similar team sport to football and hockey, is desperately trying to get this analysis right, and the idea that Liverpool would be using similar methods to aid the transfer process leads me to believe that there is at least a movement towards this.

Obviously Barca spring to mind, and you can see them looking for young players that have certain characteristics that will fit their playing style at the expense of other players who, though incredibly talented, just won't work for them (Zlatan?).

anyway, I know these are very different sports (NFL and football), but I believe there is some merit in using some of the player evaluation techniques in evaluating and identifying potential stars, especially for a club like ours that needs to identify less known but potentially great talent, and the actually infrastructure to develop that talent.

thanks for the responses.

Rumor Central:

The St. Louis Rams are shopping (RB)Stephen Jackson in order to put together a package to trade to Minnesota to move up to #3 and take Trent Richardson, which would thoroughly screw Cleveland.

Best rumour I've heard so far is a trade package between the Browns and the Cowboys with Romo, their first and another pick (3rd I think) going to the Browns for their #4 pick so the Cowboys can take Tannehill

Please be true!

I have seen about 5-7 different names for the Giants at 32 so i have no idea who we will take but it will be BPA. 4 of the latest mocks on CBS have Coples, J Martin and D Martin headed our way which id be very happy with any of those. Mayock also has us taking OT Jonathan Martin so id be pleased with that selection.

NFL.com popular selections are Coby Fleener and Donta Hightower falling to us. Id prefer Fleener.

I'd love to see how many mock drafts get anywhere near reality beyond the top 8 picks. Surely there are just way too many variables and any divergences in the upper picks have exponential waterfall effects lower down.

Are mocks usually anywhere near being correct?

I watched the draft for 1st time last year as the Broncos had #2 overall. Didn't pay attention to pre-draft stuff though. Still don't know many players in this years draft beyond the first few picks and who the Broncos might take.

BREAKING NEWS------Browns get #3 pick from the Vikings.....there were reports that Tampa and the Jets wanted to get Richardson at #3 from Minnesota. Cleveland heard this and reacted......stay tuned....reports are Browns want (WR)Blackmon(I HOPE not)

Â