All Hail 6 Music

chrisp65

That's if you listen to it all day Mike ;)

Besides, it cools down my rage at times. I would like a bit more variation at times mind. And more Shostakovich.

I'm a radio three man, me. Radio 4 if something good pops up.

Oh and th'morra there be a new poetry programme on radio 4 which looks decent.

As for Classic FM, it is very much a case of 'everyone knows these guys, so play them'. Although it's not a bad listen in a car, blasting away some Mozart down the motorway is quite pleasing. But the adverts kill it, as is the case with any commercial radio station.

This could turn out to be a 'are you listening to a good radio programme' thread, and suddenly we have gone back 50 years.

Oh, and I've never listened to Radio 6, simply because people who wear tweed jackets with skinny jeans and non-prescription glasses (which offend me) tell me to do so.

Can I just mention at this point I am currently rocking my own unique style of, er, relatively skinny m&s jeans, a tweedy checked brown jacket BUT prescription glasses. So that's your stereotyping blown out of the water.

OOooh Shostakovich, just plain fantastic.

it's 4, 5 and 6 for me, but strangely far less 5 this season

Good combo Mr Crisp.

6 at home without doubt, as I have decent DAB radio/stereo.

4 often in the car as I don't have DAB in the car. There are some great programmes on there.

5 occassionally, especially if sport or other decent stuff is on offer.

Whenever England are playing on Radio 4, that is on and it stays on. 5 is only good at times, I've found myself listening to it less and less.

That's if you listen to it all day Mike ;)

Besides, it cools down my rage at times. I would like a bit more variation at times mind. And more Shostakovich.

Oh, they'll play "The Gadfly" or the "Jazz Suites" every now and then. But you'll wait in vain for the 8th String Quartet or the Babi Yar Symphony.

I DO recall them playing something rather avant-garde once, though. I was listening in the car, on their very first day of broadcasting - and the DJ (who must have been Alan Partridge's thicker brother) announced he was about to play Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring". A bit predictable and tame, I thought, but hey, it's a nice tune.

The record that followed was not anything that I recognised, but it certainly wasn't Bach. In fact it was some pretty hard-going piece of serialism - possibly Schoenberg. He'd obviously put the wrong CD on.

I fully expected him to whip the record off and apologise, but no, he let it run on for five minutes or so to the end.

Fair enough, I thought, let's see how he justifies it.

His comment? "That was 'Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring' by J. S. Bach. And now, some Vivaldi..."

He genuinely had NO idea what he was playing.

Haha! They don't play Thomas Tallis Fantasia by RVW enough. That is one of my all-time favourite pieces. Also they occasionally play Dvorak's New World Symphony, though as you say never in entireity.

Good combo Mr Crisp.

6 at home without doubt, as I have decent DAB radio/stereo.

4 often in the car as I don't have DAB in the car. There are some great programmes on there.

5 occassionally, especially if sport or other decent stuff is on offer.

erm, to use da youf vernacular, this!

Â