All Hail 6 Music

chrisp65

it really is rather grand...

I'm sure we've had a 6 music thread before, but it was probs along the linbes of 'save 6'.

Anyway, my Sunday's have been somewhat enhanced by the likes of Cerys M and Huey M. Today I've also had John Cooper Clark's music playing away in the background. He's played some Tenpole Tudor, PP Arnold, Eddie Cochran.

Sublime.

I've been making more of a conscious effort to listen to it of late, it is definitely the station of choice. Nation radio in wales land is pretty good too, though without any of the dulcet tones of the 6 crew. But whenever I hear Lamacq speak he always sounds like a marvellous parody of a DJ for some reason.

Tuned in a few months ago to a great evening with Craig Charles and a whole lot of funk and soul - top listening.

Keep trying to remind myself to check out any podcasts they do.

Fave shows:

Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone (Sunday evenings - weird and wonderful and slightly odd music).

John Holmes (no, not the pron dude) - saturdays 4 to 7 (comedy plus music)

Saturday morning slots 10 -1 (at the moment peter Serafinowicz. In the past has been adam and joe, josie long etc). Comedy and music.

Craig Charles Funk and Soul show - awoooga! (saturday evenings after John Holmes).

Mark Riley - weekday evenings. Decent new music, and often has featured live band in the studio.

I'm not so much into Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone, but that might be the timing of the show.

Mark Riley followed by Gideon Coe in the week is a great line-up, and Tom Ravenscroft comes in with some pretty spectacular sessions from time to time (his New Order show on Friday night was excellent).

I've been listening to it a lot more of late. I have DAB in the car now, and we have a digital radio at work, so being the boss I insist on changing over from the godawful local radio station for a couple of hours in the afternoon.

I've taken to having a little notebook and pencil (from a christmas cracker no less), next to the radio to jot down titles to then order (from an olde fashioned shoppe in town. Costing me a fortune.

If you go on the BBC website for the particular show, they actually put up the tracklists, if your interested in saving the trees and the ink like :D

I've taken to having a little notebook and pencil (from a christmas cracker no less), next to the radio to jot down titles to then order (from an olde fashioned shoppe in town. Costing me a fortune.

If you go on the BBC website for the particular show, they actually put up the tracklists, if your interested in saving the trees and the ink like :D

I believe a lot of the tracks will also have a link to play a sample as well, to ensure you find the track you are looking for...

I wrote about 6 music many years ago.. from what I've seen it's still basically just a Triple A, though from my listening it's avoided becoming a Quadruple A ("acoustic adult album alternative").

If there's any justice in the world, Sirius XM will patch things up with the BBC and bring over 6 music.

I listen to Classic FM. Take that 6Music.

Is Henry Kelly still on there?

Couldn't be doing with the adverts for me. It's bad enough on freebie spotify.

This. It's a horrible attempt to do a R3/R2 hybrid, with adverts (mostly for SAGA Holidays and incontinence pants) and shite DJ's who say things like:

"Here he is - Beethoven - with his Fifth Symphony..."

And far, far too much "classical chart" material, i.e. wall-to-wall Alfie Boe, Hayley Westenra, Il Divo, etc., etc. And much as I love Vaughan Williams, you can hear "The Lark Ascending" just so many times in one day.

Give me R3's elitism any day - at least they play full works and not "greatest hits".

• Like 1

Â